Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

(Click for update)

After all that faffing about previously, today's update is actually somewhat important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ah, Thancred. What a guy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'm sure either DN or someone in the thread can offer summaries of beast tribe content when we get there; the important cutscenes can always be re-viewed and recorded by other means.

I've maxed out all the beast tribes so I don't mind recording a few videos when we get to it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

This update is short, but it also covers a lot of ground. I've really started to abridge the quests in earnest here.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

DoubleNegative posted:

Lucid Dreaming is a strong mana restore and a threat dump. The mana restore is all but useless for THM/BLM, but the threat dump could be handy.
Surecast ensures you don't suffer pushback when you're casting spells. Useful for soloing, but arguably pretty useless in group content.

Lucid Dreaming's enmity dump got removed with the arrival of Shadowbringers, since enmity was simplified considerably. Now Lucid dreaming is almost completely useless for THM/BLM! Also, Surecast being useless in group content? Of course not! There are plenty of boss mechanics that push you around, though mostly much later, and with BLM being unable to cast while that's happening it's nice to pop it and completely ignore the problem while everyone else falls off the platform.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

Lucid Dreaming's enmity dump got removed with the arrival of Shadowbringers, since enmity was simplified considerably. Now Lucid dreaming is almost completely useless for THM/BLM! Also, Surecast being useless in group content? Of course not! There are plenty of boss mechanics that push you around, though mostly much later, and with BLM being unable to cast while that's happening it's nice to pop it and completely ignore the problem while everyone else falls off the platform.

I'll be damned, so it does! Has it always had the knockback immunity or is that recent? :eyepop:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's had the knockback immunity since it became a job role action in Stormblood. It won't work on everything, but it's pretty handy for a lot of mechanics!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't really go out of my way to do them, but I do wnat to show at least one off for this LP. So...

Most FATE names are also incredibly bad puns.

If there is one constant to XIV, it is that the localization team loving loves puns.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

FATE is an acronym for Full Active Time Event.

No, I don't know why it's not Field instead.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Also just pointing out that I'm doing sidequests in the background. This one wants us to kill some shrews that are burrowing underneath the pumpkin patch. Now you know and now you may forget it exists!
I could swear I've done this exact quest but in La Noscea. :psyduck:
I wonder if the Shroud has it too?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

While I would like to, I don't feel confident in being able to show them off. Each tribe requires many, many weeks of daily quests, and that's a lot of time investment for a payoff that amounts to "...huh, well that's a neat story."

So far as I am into it the ARR beast tribes are probably the worst designed part of the game. Outside of house-buying anyway.

In HW at least the crafting tribe moves along with a decent pace, gives reasonable amounts of much needed crafter EXP and most importantly doesn't expect you to go back for lvl 1-10 materials. Having to repeat the same quests over and over is still pretty dumb, but you seem to get reputation much faster and the EXP rewards haven't become completely negligible before you've even finished the second tier.

Generally FFXIV is pretty good about making repeating content either a secondary objective while you are doing other stuff or give out decent enough secondary rewards that it doesn't feel like a waste of time. With beast tribes though you have to spend an entire week going back every day to repeat the same busywork for practically no reward except getting a little bit closer to the next actual quest.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

BioMe posted:

So far as I am into it the ARR beast tribes are probably the worst designed part of the game. Outside of house-buying anyway.

In HW at least the crafting tribe moves along with a decent pace, gives reasonable amounts of much needed crafter EXP and most importantly doesn't expect you to go back for lvl 1-10 materials. Having to repeat the same quests over and over is still pretty dumb, but you seem to get reputation much faster and the EXP rewards haven't become completely negligible before you've even finished the second tier.

Generally FFXIV is pretty good about making repeating content either a secondary objective while you are doing other stuff or give out decent enough secondary rewards that it doesn't feel like a waste of time. With beast tribes though you have to spend an entire week going back every day to repeat the same busywork for practically no reward except getting a little bit closer to the next actual quest.

Another point for HW beast tribe in general is that you have flight, meaning the endless running around takes far less time.

Compare that to ARR where you have to go through the zone each and every time, and god help you if you run it before 60 and have to deal with monsters noticing you exist.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The HW crafting tribe is probably my least favorite, both because of the tribe itself and because it takes place in a massive map and loves putting objectives as far as it can from each other.

(also: there's not really all that much crafting involved, most days)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Counterpoint: the dance you get for finishing the HW crafting beast tribe is extremely cute and is the whole reason I even started the quests!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Counterpoint: the dance you get for finishing the HW crafting beast tribe is extremely cute and is the whole reason I even started the quests!

This is true.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

BisbyWorl posted:

and god help you if you run it before 60 and have to deal with monsters noticing you exist.
This was particularly terrible back when if you got hit by an attack while mounted, you'd get an annoyingly long lasting Heavy inflicted on you. That was the actual worst.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ParTwo posted:

This was particularly terrible back when if you got hit by an attack while mounted, you'd get an annoyingly long lasting Heavy inflicted on you. That was the actual worst.

That still exists, it's just for the PVP only.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

The theming of the early parts of this LP is very consistent.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Most Final Fantasy games throw whatever the evil empire of the week is at you and they're the biggest batch of assholes around from start to finish.

Then XIV throws all of Ul'Dah at you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

Get used to these assholes because they're like the Organization XIII of this game. Except their goals are completely mysterious and nonsensical. And, yes, they're the game's primary antagonists.

saving this for later use :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BisbyWorl posted:

Most Final Fantasy games throw whatever the evil empire of the week is at you and they're the biggest batch of assholes around from start to finish.

Then XIV throws all of Ul'Dah at you.

The effect is much more traditional if you start in Gridania or Limsa Lominsa. :v:

Sadly, Ul'dah gets more screen time in the unfolding story than Gridania and Limsa put together.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

One of the things that FFXIV's pretty good about is that none of the starting cities are necessarily great places to exist in.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
It seems possible to make a decent life for yourself in all of them, though, which I personally also really like. A lot of fantasy settings are, in the name of "greytones", just shitholes. This feels like a place where people could actually live, which is quite impressive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bobfly posted:

It seems possible to make a decent life for yourself in all of them, though, which I personally also really like. A lot of fantasy settings are, in the name of "greytones", just shitholes. This feels like a place where people could actually live, which is quite impressive.

A way to look at the three City-States is a reminder that these are places that are hanging on after the 1-2 punch of "Invasion of the Garlean Empire" and "THE loving WORLD ENDING" Like poo poo was not great before, but now poo poo's really terrible. For Ul'Dah especially it's "Oh good, first we had the refugees from Ala Mhigo, then we had the refugees from the war, now we got the refugees from the Calamity. Even if we didn't have a ruling council of essentially mobster-businessmen (Or just businessmen I guess) We wouldn't have enough space period."

Like there are the camps outside the city, that's not just out of cruelty, Ul'dah is packed. Especially because as the richest of the three nations, it was the one most desirable to travel too. FFXIV is surprisingly pretty nuanced on the refugee crisis. They actually do a tonne to establish that isn't just... "Here are some hives of scum and villainy" but there are storied histories to these nations and their personal interactions with one another.

One of the things I appreciated when I first booted up my character, was the Brass Blades, because they are shaking you down, right up until the Beast Tribe rocks up, whereupon they let you go so they can do their jobs. Because... yeah the Blades are corrupt, but they still do their job to protect the people.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, exactly, and said much more elegantly than I managed. There's no place where things are black-and-white Good or Bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And even with the Ala Mhigan refugees, it's worth remembering that a very big part of why Ala Mhigo fell and its people were not welcomed by the Alliance is that Ala Mhigo has, historically, been a nation of assholes who have repeatedly attacked the other nations. In living memory for some people in Eorzea is the Autumn War, which saw a Gridania-Ul'dah-Limsa Lominsa-Ishgard coalition save Gridania from a completely unprovoked Ala Mhigan invasion. Even though Ala Mhigo's reasons for hostility do make some sense in their own light: Gyr Abania is incredibly poor in arable land and raw resources, so the nation's been a poor backwater for most of its history. But thanks to the Autumn War, 'gently caress Ala Mhigo' is in the recent popular memory before the Garlean invasion and Gridania's magical sentient forest is actively trying to murder the Ala Mhigans for what they did.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm not sure if we're getting into spoiler territory, so I'll leave it there.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

The early game doldrums continue. The story won't get started for another 2 or 3 updates minimum. :shepface:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Pray Return.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I'd say Guildhests are worth doing. But only once, while leveling.
The completion bonus is actually fairly decent for the level the guildhest requires, but after that you get like nothing for doing them again.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Is the main game anything but a very long tutorial for gameplay and a world-building introduction for writing? Like I don't think I really even cared about the main crew before patch content which does a way better job of fleshing out the characters. Not that the post game isn't slow as hell still.

But hey MMOs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

YOU CAN TAKE A BOAT FROM LIMSA?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waffleman_ posted:

YOU CAN TAKE A BOAT FROM LIMSA?

Yep. There's a ferry right next to the Arcanists' Guild.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

BioMe posted:

Is the main game anything but a very long tutorial for gameplay and a world-building introduction for writing? Like I don't think I really even cared about the main crew before patch content which does a way better job of fleshing out the characters. Not that the post game isn't slow as hell still.

But hey MMOs.

Yeah, the whole main game/postgame concepts become a little nebulous in MMOs, what with the introduction of new content with patches. I suppose you could see ARR/every individual expansion as a 'main game' and the post-release patch content as a 'postgame', maybe, but I have no idea how well that dovetails with how plot progression actually occurs, because no LP has gotten that far yet and my computer is far too wooden to play this game.

I will definitely grant that from what I've seen displayed in the LPs thus far, Y'shtola seems like the only cool Scion, through to where CrashScreen is at. Hopefully, whenever they rejigger the base game, they might consider expanding/rewriting rather than just cutting the chaff, since the impression I've been getting is that a) later plot does rely on some attachment to these folks, and b) the current 2.0 content doesn't do a great job of building that attachment.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

When on a taxi chocobo, your aggro radius is so tiny that I don't actually think monsters can hit you. Though I swear I remember at least one NPC saying that if you somehow get attacked while on their taxi, they'd refund your fee. All 15-60 gil of it.
I'm fairly sure you can't aggro enemies at all, so maybe that disclaimer's for the remote chance that somebody's fighting a monster on the road and the chocobo runs through an AoE marker at exactly the wrong moment. Not likely, but I'd be impressed if the game does actually track whether that happens.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
ARR is just generally pretty average in all aspects, what with being done with 1.x patching and Yoshi-P still throwing things at a wall to see what works. From where Ginger stands, it also functions as babby's first mmo gameplay-wise.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Well then. How many of you were expecting to see this ever again? Especially after nearly a full year away! The LP died on the vine after the 2.0 rework was announced, and now that it's gone through... well, what better time to go through and show just what changed?

So sit back, relax, and grab a nice drink because this train... is still really slow going because it's the actual start of 2.0. We'll be out of the intro within a few updates, however! Think of this update as a nice way to ease us back into the swing of things.

(Also click the pretty picture, please)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
And it's (re)starting as it means to go on, with me butting in while DN is recording.

I'm glad to see this back, because it means I can resist the thought of doing it myself. :haw:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click)

Today's is a little on the long side because it has so much going on. The good news is that the next update will feature the finale to the intro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's Monday, which means it's time for another update!

This quest marks the Ul'dah intro finale. After this we have a couple updates of cutscenes, and then we'll be turned loose on the world to go make mischief as we see fit. The first dungeons are coming up sooner than you might imagine!