Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Popping in to say that I'm very much enjoying the LP so far! I think that cutting out the busywork sidequests completely in the near future (unless there's something noteworthy about them) is a good idea. If nothing else, CrashScreen's LP has demonstrated that even the main quest sequence has no problems spinning its wheels with idiotic irrelevancies at times; there's no need to add to that with side content of similar (un)importance. (Plus, if your aim is to show off the Good Story Stuff that FF14's plot-centric approach to the MMO allows, there's no sense in expending too much effort on stuff that isn't that.) I think they make sense here, though (from a Ginger's-narrative-arc perspective) - she's some rando who just wandered into Ul'dah; it makes sense that she starts from the bottom, as jobs go.

With respect to specific bits, I especially appreciated the head of the thaumaturge's guild's attempts to give the whole business the appropriately 'whoo spooky magic' air, even when the lessons did amount to 'do not stand next to angry folk with pointy things while casting; it won't work out for you'. It's admittedly sound advice, but the way the game's delivering it lends it a very funny tone. In general this update did a lot to ameliorate the whole impression of Ul'dah formed by much of the update before it - namely, 'this is a terrible place filled with terrible people.' (Although, admittedly, it was mostly achived by... helping people outside of Ul'dah proper. Hmm.) If nothing else, it's a good illustration of how 'wretched hives of scum and villainy' make for good adventure-story copy when the heroes are just passing through, but wear thin with remarkable speed if the story makes its base of operations there.

I do wonder how much of that is due to my viewpoint from outside the story, rather than being the one at the controls - but I suspect somebody who's actually played the game would have to answer that.

vdate fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That seems like a good approach to take!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

BioMe posted:

Is the main game anything but a very long tutorial for gameplay and a world-building introduction for writing? Like I don't think I really even cared about the main crew before patch content which does a way better job of fleshing out the characters. Not that the post game isn't slow as hell still.

But hey MMOs.

Yeah, the whole main game/postgame concepts become a little nebulous in MMOs, what with the introduction of new content with patches. I suppose you could see ARR/every individual expansion as a 'main game' and the post-release patch content as a 'postgame', maybe, but I have no idea how well that dovetails with how plot progression actually occurs, because no LP has gotten that far yet and my computer is far too wooden to play this game.

I will definitely grant that from what I've seen displayed in the LPs thus far, Y'shtola seems like the only cool Scion, through to where CrashScreen is at. Hopefully, whenever they rejigger the base game, they might consider expanding/rewriting rather than just cutting the chaff, since the impression I've been getting is that a) later plot does rely on some attachment to these folks, and b) the current 2.0 content doesn't do a great job of building that attachment.