Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Any tips on how to get good at this? I only played through the second level but I used nearly all of my bazooka shots on the large convention center building and had to plink away at the boss with a handgun. Someone told me the stomp so I'll give that a shot, but are there combos/cancels/high level stuff it introduces later that show you how to play "the right way?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

moller posted:

Any tips on how to get good at this? I only played through the second level but I used nearly all of my bazooka shots on the large convention center building and had to plink away at the boss with a handgun. Someone told me the stomp so I'll give that a shot, but are there combos/cancels/high level stuff it introduces later that show you how to play "the right way?"

Not that I know of. Stomping saves a ton of ammo though so use it often. You can also grind money to buy weapons with high ammo capacity and/or higher damage so you don't have to use as much ammo.

Against bosses use the ultimate crazy mode thing (L3 + R3) on PS4. Not sure what it is on other platforms. It gives you infinite ammo temporarily and lets you use all your weapons. The boss of the 2nd level melts in a single use of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was there some dash cancel move that ignores using up energy and move around like the Fencer?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

nrook posted:

What's the best Armored Core game, anyway? I played 4A when it came out and really enjoyed it, but I've never played any of the others.

It will be the one when they finally make the control scheme good and not require more than the normal number of fingers on your hand to move as well as the AI.

I personally enjoyed the AC3 line of games a lot - I got 4 for my PS3 back in the day, but the infinite ground boost actually made it feel a lot worse for me because it actively punished my preferred AC playstyle (Heavy ACs). It's just as much a buff to the AI as it is to the player, so now every single AI AC is boosting along the ground infinitely dodging your attacks and landing every single one on you.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Was there some dash cancel move that ignores using up energy and move around like the Fencer?

The only limitless dash I know is chaining air dashes. As long as you change direction each dash (so forward, side, forward, side), you can fly forever. The timing is a little tricky, and it doesn't feel that much faster than just ground boosting, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ratoslov posted:

God damnit FROM, please answer our prayers and give us more robots!
Monkey paw closes and From decides that you will pilot a giant suit of iron shell that requires constant attention to balance cooling, power and life support.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FilthyImp posted:

Monkey paw closes and From decides that you will pilot a giant suit of iron shell that requires constant attention to balance cooling, power and life support.

if its in VR I'm down

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Songbearer posted:

The best Armoured Core will be the one when FROM get off their rear end and port one to PC drat it

I only played 4A but it made me really want to play more

Armored core before 4A and for 4 for that matter. Were basically dark souls with robots in smaller levels. No difference at all, how you selected your parts and everything. Even quirky random quests that don't make sense at all for special secret parts.

But the bad guys were like geckos from sekiro, black knights from dark souls, and bosses from 4A which were basically beta dark souls bosses. So you would fight some tanks or helicopters and sometimes a robot would show up for you to fight them in a lock on battle.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 16, 2019

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

didn’t from release some sort of vague teaser for a new armored core in the last year or so

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

so steel battalion?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nrook posted:

What's the best Armored Core game, anyway? I played 4A when it came out and really enjoyed it, but I've never played any of the others.

The PS2 games. AC1 for PSX is still a classic, and there is no ACV.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I played the poo poo out of AC 2, made some weird robot that was covered in maximum missiles with 7777 health, was light enough to actually be able to fly indefinitely with the most efficient boosters.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'm only a few missions in and this game is absolutely amazing. Messing around with weapon combos has been fun, like using the target painter Assault Rifle on a target before hitting it with loads of missiles to farm Burst.

Also I'm pretty sure I have the correct setup here. May god have mercy on hostages I still haven't rescued.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

this game rules so much

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the game for its campiness, but it really is jut a pretty mediocre original X-box game. I always died 3 really loving cheap deaths in the Grand Canyon until I just decided to always fly over bridges.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

UltraRed posted:

I like the game for its campiness, but it really is jut a pretty mediocre original X-box game. I always died 3 really loving cheap deaths in the Grand Canyon until I just decided to always fly over bridges.

Well yeah most people like it primarily for the camp.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Add me to the list of people who want an Armored Core game on PC as well. I feel like 4A would be the best, since you can emulate the previous games more easily. You can run 4A in Xenia, the 360 emulator, but it's not perfect and you need a somewhat beefy PC to run it well.

I wonder if this has sold well enough for them to consider porting/remastering more FROM games.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Protip: you can craft and equip multiple copies of the same weapon.

Another protip: the higher level double gatlings are great against just about everything... except aerial targets. Use something else for that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How do you get S ranks? I can't figure this out and the game has no explanation of what chain bonuses mean or anything.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Elephant Ambush posted:

How do you get S ranks? I can't figure this out and the game has no explanation of what chain bonuses mean or anything.

Somehow, in 2019, GameFAQs is still the best resource for guides to weird Japanese niche games. According to that guide, chain combos are for multiple kills in a short time frame, and rush combos (COOL!/NICE! splash text) are for killing larger targets quickly.

Bear in mind that the post-game super weapons don't require you to S-rank every stage. The game tracks certain stats across every level (clear time, property damage, total kills) and calculates your overall rank based on the best score you achieved in that area. It also takes into account multiple runs; if you did a no-damage White House speedrun, going back and grinding out stomp kills doesn't hurt your score for clear time or damage taken.

Where does the game tell you all this? Either in the physical manual from the OG Xbox version or (my guess) nowhere.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the link but that doesn't explain much. The only level I can currently S rank is the Statue of Liberty level and that's just because I did it over and over to grind money to research everything and buy 2 of all the best weapons.

The guide says to just play the game and screw around and figure stuff out so that's what I'll do. I need to beat it first and that's probably part of it. There's a lot to do in this game!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Ok so I can't seem to find info on this, but I KNOW about Micheal's father statue hidden weapon, but how do I get it after destroying the statue? I can't actually jump that high!

E: oh, you can do it by jumping on the helicopters next to the monument. clever!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 13, 2019

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Question: All those power cores, what do I do with them? Where's the menu to upgrade your suit?

Also, I expected this to be rough and janky, but it is rough. No checkpoints and missions like Alcatraz make for some pretty intense play.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Way way way too late but check out the new thread tag.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

That is a nice thread tag!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Glad they fixed that cursor bug.
I would have liked an explanation for this economy stuff you level up.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Glad they fixed that cursor bug.
I would have liked an explanation for this economy stuff you level up.

Scientists give a % boost to rare metal, POWs give a % boost to cash. Every five or so energy pods automatically upgrades your mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Pardon the thread resurrection, but my physical copy of MWCXD courtesy of Special Reserve Gaming finally came in the mail today. I should have gotten it back in September, but they didn't get around to shipping it until earlier this week. Its all good though, even if the dossier is a wee bit bent in the corner.