Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Goodpart posted:

They finally played 7empest live tonight.

It was extremely good.

Aaaah you pricks, congratulations.

I saw their Perth show (off the back of seeing them in DC a few months back); extremely first-world problems, but the setlist was near-identical. How'd the song go, gently caress-up wise? That's a lot of time to keep it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Maynard dropped off towards the end and sat out about 3/4 of the latter half of the song but otherwise it was super tight.

Actually the only gently caress up I heard all night was with 46&2, weirdly. I think they missed a beat in the outro but they picked it back up pretty quickly.

Musically they were tighter the night before but in terms of setlist, holy poo poo the second night was amazing.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Off to see them tonight in Brisbane. I have no idea what setlist to expect so it should be good!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Well that was loving awesome. Swamp Thing, 7empest, the entire set was solid. I agree with the people who said musically they were a little loose - there were at least one point where each of them dropped the ball. That said, the light show though... :aaaaa: It reminded me just how good a lighting show can be for an arena touring band. That was genuinely better than some of the headline raves I see.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
New American dates have gone on sale. Here's hoping that the Baltimore show gets both The Patient and 7empest in the set!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Supposedly the tour is cancelled/postponed by LiveNation due to coronavirus

https://twitter.com/Tool/status/1238237666656653312/photo/1

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 13, 2020

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I'm thinking about making some surf rock-style covers of TOOL songs, beginning with the No Quarter cover. They would have a similar-sounding bass to the actual songs, with a reverby strat for guitars, simplified drums, and shortened song length to make them more palatable. Good idea/bad idea?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just do it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

I'm thinking about making some surf rock-style covers of TOOL songs, beginning with the No Quarter cover. They would have a similar-sounding bass to the actual songs, with a reverby strat for guitars, simplified drums, and shortened song length to make them more palatable. Good idea/bad idea?

Sounds better than regular tool imo

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Listen to Kanye West

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk man I really like riffs

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

idk man I really like riffs

But echi, the same ones from 2001?

This album was a real disappointment for me but I think maybe I’ve moved on from Tool. I still adore the first three albums though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like 2 of the songs on the album but it totally reignighted a fire a for tool for me. I was such a massive fan from 1996 when my dad got me aneima and i was 15 and they were the biggest band in my teenage years, but by the time 10,000 days came out I was in a different place so there is a lot of discovering that music of my youth and realising that I never had a clue of how genius the style a lot of it was. I used to think Adam Jones was an average guitarist, and he is, but the amount of texture he adds to the music is not something I ever noticed when I was younger. Going back and listening to "flood" and being able to nail every beat in my air guitar was a trip considering I'd never really listened to it since I was like 21. When I first heard opiate it had this sound that I still cant put my finger on that is unique to that song, but it never loses it either, it still has that unique sound now. And nowadays I prefer the heavy ending much more than I used to. Watching Pneuma played live is a trip.

Opiate is worth a listen. I used to listen to it a ton when I was 15-17 so I know a lot of it so well.

Undertow is pretty solid, a decent chunk is average but not really bad. Some of it is sooo good, Undertow itself is a such a great example of everything the band does well.

Aenima is still so good. It barely sounds dated, the production is good, the guitars sound good, the vocals are amazing. The variety on that album given the quality. It's good
It's the best too

Lateralus is a lot of a good thing with some amazing moments. untasteful aspects coming in

10,000 days has a few cool very cool moments and a lot of not so great moments.

Fear Inoculujism is such a loving stupid name. It's like "the endless river" by Pink Floyd. it's listenable and even good to listen to but I never really feel like cranking any part of it. 7emptest is kinda lame. People are like "riff of old", but it smore like, the riffs not good enough for old. It's forgettable.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

7empest is embarrassingly bad, easily the worst thing on the album. And it earned them a Grammy somehow? ok

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think Pitchfork summed the album up best with 'you can practically see the band sitting on cushioned stools in the studio, quietly counting out the meter with polite head-nods.'

That said, I still like it (and think overall its better than 10,000 Days, at least), and I've watched the video of Danny playing Pneuma dozens of times.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Still don’t get the hate for 10,000 days, it’s my favorite after Aenima and Lateralus (which is my favorite)

I also don’t know what makes 7empest a bad song, I really enjoy it. *shrug*

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like all of Tool’s music. I like Pneuma as much as I like Jerk Off. It’s all good. I wish you enjoyed it as much as I do cause I’m so psyched to have New Tool!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

somnambulist posted:

I also don’t know what makes 7empest a bad song, I really enjoy it. *shrug*

Because it doesn't have any kind of natural flow towards a place, or a sense of cohesion. It just sounds like it was made by picking old unrelated and recycled riffs randomly from a hat and sticking them together. You could put them in any order and it doesn't matter much. I made an alternate edit of it, cutting a bunch of poo poo and swapping a bunch of sections around, and it sounds just as much like a complete song as the original.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Origami Dali posted:

Because it doesn't have any kind of natural flow towards a place, or a sense of cohesion. It just sounds like it was made by picking old unrelated and recycled riffs randomly from a hat and sticking them together. You could put them in any order and it doesn't matter much. I made an alternate edit of it, cutting a bunch of poo poo and swapping a bunch of sections around, and it sounds just as much like a complete song as the original.

I wouldn't be so annoyed with it if it was shorter but nearly 16 minutes of what sound like leftover riffs from the pre-Opiate era all played next to each other is a waste of time

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Sounds cool to me, surf-rock is killer. I got to see Dick Dale a while before he passed and he was awesome. Only suggestion I might have is, why not start with one of their originals instead of making a cover of a cover?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Zoben posted:

Sounds cool to me, surf-rock is killer. I got to see Dick Dale a while before he passed and he was awesome. Only suggestion I might have is, why not start with one of their originals instead of making a cover of a cover?

I wonder if Dick Dale, king of the surf guitar, ever got those cables from Guam

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The new album has grown on me but it just doesn't feel.....important. Like I will put it on if I have chores or a long bike ride or road trip or something, just to pass the time, but not because I want to actually listen to it. It really feels like that was the intention of the album actually, with each song clocking in at over 10 minutes, it feels more like something to have in the background. I like some parts enough, but enough to even learn the name of the songs as they all blend in together anyway.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think of most Tool songs as existing primarily as something to listen to while on ketamine, and sounding good sober is second thought that often but not always works.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It is pretty startling how long they had to work on this album and yet the form and structure of it feels utterly absent. 7empest is only the worst offender here. When you go back and listen to their previous albums, it's an extremely stark difference. AEnima stretched the typical verse-chorus-verse structure of songs at times, and always to great effect. Many of the songs are plainly conventional in their structure but experiment elsewhere (Stinkfist, H, 46&2). Even when they went off script, the contrast between structure and noise or improvisation felt very deliberate (Pushit, Third Eye). Lateralus, which is sort of the inflection point for the band, represents the apotheosis of the sound they've been utilizing ever since- absolutely no "noise" (no interludes of pick scraping, feedback etc) just riff after riff after riff. The interplay between Adam/Justin was sort of perfected on Lateralus, and they haven't departed from that type of part writing or the general timbre of their instruments since. 10,000 Days is basically a continuation on that theme, but Fear Inoculum represents this weird breakdown in their sound where, on a measure-to-measure basis it's very clear Tool and there aren't exactly weak spots, but over the span of the song it fails to cohere or feel that it has any directionality. Lateralus (the title track) is probably the best example of how this can/should work. Instead everything feels a bit more like Triad. Add to that the fact that the band has traditionally relied on the vocals for the emotional peak of the song, and they're unable to do that on Fear Inoculum, and it makes some of the album feel kind of AI-generated.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jewmanji posted:

It is pretty startling how long they had to work on this album and yet the form and structure of it feels utterly absent. 7empest is only the worst offender here. When you go back and listen to their previous albums, it's an extremely stark difference. AEnima stretched the typical verse-chorus-verse structure of songs at times, and always to great effect. Many of the songs are plainly conventional in their structure but experiment elsewhere (Stinkfist, H, 46&2). Even when they went off script, the contrast between structure and noise or improvisation felt very deliberate (Pushit, Third Eye). Lateralus, which is sort of the inflection point for the band, represents the apotheosis of the sound they've been utilizing ever since- absolutely no "noise" (no interludes of pick scraping, feedback etc) just riff after riff after riff. The interplay between Adam/Justin was sort of perfected on Lateralus, and they haven't departed from that type of part writing or the general timbre of their instruments since. 10,000 Days is basically a continuation on that theme, but Fear Inoculum represents this weird breakdown in their sound where, on a measure-to-measure basis it's very clear Tool and there aren't exactly weak spots, but over the span of the song it fails to cohere or feel that it has any directionality. Lateralus (the title track) is probably the best example of how this can/should work. Instead everything feels a bit more like Triad. Add to that the fact that the band has traditionally relied on the vocals for the emotional peak of the song, and they're unable to do that on Fear Inoculum, and it makes some of the album feel kind of AI-generated.

Well said, and agreed on sevenempest- I'm astonished they won an award for that song, it sounds like the musical equivalent of something created by a Markov text generator that figured out the rules of how to make a Tool franken-song without imbuing it with any meaning.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the reason why tempest got any love is because it's the only properly "heavy" song on the album.

But it's also by far the worst. There aren't too many Tool songs I dislike, but drat Tempest. You just keep going don't you? Let's throw MORE riffs into this bloated mess! That'll make it better!

I love the album (aside from Tempest), but I do think ALL of the songs could benefit from some trimming. They've all got really loving great ideas, and really awesome moments and some really cool progressions, but I think all of them are 5-ish minute songs buried in 10 minute songs.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would be thrilled if they went back to normal-length songs but that's just me. Pretty sure that ship has sailed though, being 2020 Pink Floyd is where they're at now.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I agree with a lot of the criticism here, mostly that the album is bloated, but I still like Sevenpest. Culling Voices should have been removed entirely imo.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If I could remove anything it’d be Invincible, which kinda makes me cringe. Sounds like a very bloated A Perfect Circle. The guitar work is so much more Billy Howerdel than Adam Jones. I hate it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I went back to listening to 7empest to see what you are all talking about (like I said I never bothered actually remembering the name of the songs because they all kind of blended for me) and drat you are all right. It is the "heaviest" song on the album, but it just feels like recycled riffs (something Tool has done time to time - try tell me Vicarious isn't another version of Stinkfist with a straight face) and it just keeps on going. And going. And going. There is really no reason that song couldn't be cut to 8 minutes.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Madkal posted:

try tell me Vicarious isn't another version of Stinkfist with a straight face

My face is straight. What?! Can you elaborate? I can't see this at all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

absolutely no "noise" (no interludes of pick scraping, feedback etc) just riff after riff after riff.

A shame, because like I mentioned earlier, it was Adams ability to create texture rather than riffs that was so great about some of their earlier things.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Is Paul D'Amour's stuff any good? I've never listened to Lusk and I thought Replicants was okay at best (all covers anyway) and he apparently did some stuff called Feersum Ennjin that I've never heard either. I remember in high school I thought Tool were the new Led Zeppelin in terms of mystique and in that I thought that none of the members could ever be replaced. Clearly I was dead wrong, but their sound had a dramatic change after he left, almost like he was holding them back. But his bass sound had a lot to do with their early sound.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Happy Hippo posted:

Is Paul D'Amour's stuff any good? I've never listened to Lusk and I thought Replicants was okay at best (all covers anyway) and he apparently did some stuff called Feersum Ennjin that I've never heard either. I remember in high school I thought Tool were the new Led Zeppelin in terms of mystique and in that I thought that none of the members could ever be replaced. Clearly I was dead wrong, but their sound had a dramatic change after he left, almost like he was holding them back. But his bass sound had a lot to do with their early sound.

I got a free copy of the Lusk album 20 years ago, listened to it once and shelved it. But I was super into heavy music to the exclusion of other stuff, I can't remember it well enough to say whether it was good or not for what it was. It was poppy and definitely not like Undertow.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the danny carey firth drums video of pneuma is sick

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Every time I give the album another listen I get about a quarter in and two thoughts pop into my head: "I've been listening to this for like, an hour, so it's pretty close to done, yeah?" and "We waited a decade and a half for this?"

I wonder how many years were spent waiting for Maynard to get out of a neverending k-hole versus actually writing the drat thing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It was the opposite. Maynard said the thing would've been completed ten years ago if the rest of the band could stop jerking off and finish a drat song.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I tried to listen again too. Interminable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I believe a lot of the 10 years was lost to legal issues?

Regardless, use it all as an excuse to listen to Aenima