Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quote:

Two things really stood out on this one listen. One is that Tool no longer have any reservations about jamming out. At points it almost felt like listening to a Grateful Dead record with more loud guitars and distortion, and I do not mean that as an insult

I'm taking it as one regardless because I haaaaate that poo poo.

I really hope the reviewer is just bad because I just hear 'jam like' as a symonym for 'aimless'.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I agree that it’s jam band ey at points and not in a way that I like. 7empest has that long bit in the middle that feels like a live bands improv, and it’s got some great licks in it, but licks that I would have preferred to hear as hooks in a more structured song.

Then at the end the bit where Maynard is singing a tempest will be just that and the guitar is playing this looping blazing riff I was like, ok this is cool, it’s heavy but in a way that’s actually kind of different for for Tool. But to get to it I’d have to sit through that interminable jam band section again.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The end of fear innoculum is the most egrigious "song could have ended by now" moment in the album. It straight up could just end with the "Deceiver Chased away A long time Coming" bit and moved on but then theres a heavy bit which isn't actually heavy and a half assed talkbox solo and a DUN NUN NUN NUN NUN NUN stab bit of which there are already a comical amount on the album.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Can you try to edit some choruses into the drat thing? Or at least some memorable riffs aside from Adam Jones literally opening a song with King Crimson’s “Frame by Frame”?

which song?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Listening to FI again I refuse to believe they couldn’t have found anything better than those dogshit samples at the intro of the track.