Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Gave the album two listens and where the gently caress is the "oomph"? I know it's been ages since the last Tool album but each album had some rocking songs where this album just has the same ponderous 8 minutes song done over and over again. Now I am not against Tool doing ponderous 8 minutes songs, but they usually save that for 2 or 3 songs per album, but this one it is done for about 8 (with the other two songs being "filler"). I just wanted a song that hits hard, goes fast and you can crank it up to.
Also Invincible is just embarrassing and should have been about 4 minutes shorter (which I could say about most of the songs but for some reason Invincible just stuck out as the worst offender of terribleness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember the good old days of lining up at Ticketmaster outlets before they opened to make sure to get tickets. Sigh

As for seeing Tool live, I have seen them twice, once pre-10,000 Days and once to support the album. The first time I saw them I was blown away by the live show but the second time I was kind of bored. The visuals were always great but the band just...stood there. There was no energy from the band, and it was strange saying Maynard who is usually a beast on stage just refusing to move from his spot while singing the songs. As much as I like visuals at live shows, I also enjoy watching a band create energy and feed off the crowd.
I guess I got into Tool around about Lateralus but my fave album is Aenima. I don't hate 10,000 Days like others do, and a lot of songs have grown on me over the years (except the Pot which I can't really stand now), At least 10,000 Days have songs that sound rocking (Jambi) and have hooks. I haven't listened to the new album in a few days and I can say that I hardly remember what any of the new songs even sound like.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Listerine posted:

Well I would only expect a band's ticket price to go up as they get more successful, and I just looked up the original sale prices for this tour, which appear to range between about $60-140, that seems more or less ok. It's the secondary market that seems outrageous and Tool isn't making that money.

What do Maynard's side gigs go for nowadays? I think the last time I saw him was with Puscifer ten years ago, and they didn't even sell out the venue.

I remember hearing that the last APC tour was terribly underperforming that tickets would eventually end up on discount through sites like Groupon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last time I saw Tool (about 6 or 7 years ago) I remember Manyard just...standing there. Maybe some swaying but not moving around the stage. He was wearing a cowboy hat (though I might be mistaking that from the first time I saw them play) but I remembered how boring he was on stage. Besides that the rest of the band rocked and the light show was great.
It's strange seeing old video of Tool play where Manyard seemed like a beast, because the two times I saw them play he just was...there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right in Two rules

I used to dislike that song and then I saw them play it live and now I like it. This didn't happen for the Pot though, where I disliked it, saw them play it live, and still disliked it after.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The new album has grown on me but it just doesn't feel.....important. Like I will put it on if I have chores or a long bike ride or road trip or something, just to pass the time, but not because I want to actually listen to it. It really feels like that was the intention of the album actually, with each song clocking in at over 10 minutes, it feels more like something to have in the background. I like some parts enough, but enough to even learn the name of the songs as they all blend in together anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I went back to listening to 7empest to see what you are all talking about (like I said I never bothered actually remembering the name of the songs because they all kind of blended for me) and drat you are all right. It is the "heaviest" song on the album, but it just feels like recycled riffs (something Tool has done time to time - try tell me Vicarious isn't another version of Stinkfist with a straight face) and it just keeps on going. And going. And going. There is really no reason that song couldn't be cut to 8 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looked at the playlist. Surprised that the hits like Stinkfist and Parabola weren't played. A bit too much from the new album but my friend went to the show and said it was amazing.