Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My birthday is tomorrow - I just got four tickets to the Philly show within five minutes of sales going live. I cannot believe this is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

Getting tickets was way easier than I expected, and I was able to get on the floor. And honestly, $95 - $125 for floor seats is cheaper than I was expecting.

What show? I went with "best available" for Philly and got four tickets in section 213.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm a concert newbie. I've only been to a handful of shows and never Tool or an arena show - will Tool hurt my ears and make them ring?

I saw Tame Impala this summer at the Mann Center amphitheatre in Philly and despite it being super loud I was never uncomfortable and my ears didn't ring at all after the show. Contrasting that, I see shows at smaller venues in my area and those shows always hurt my ears and leave them ringing.

With all that out of the way, I'm seeing Tool in Philly next month at the Wells Fargo arena. I've been meaning to invest in good ear plugs for awhile now, should I bring them to Tool?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the tips. My wife found us earplugs this morning. :)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

hatelull posted:

But then what would you wear to the NEXT Tool show?

I'm going to wear my Josh Ritter Bringing in the Darlings shirt to see Tool in Philly on the 18th.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Phill show here I come! How long has the set been lasting?

Edit: good show. Still don't know how long it lasted.

Edit 2: Apparently they played Swamp Song last night for the first time a real long time, like 2007? That show was wild. It was my first arena show ever, better late than never, eh? Chocolate Chip Trip is way, way, way better live than on the album. The first thing I did when I listened to the new album was delete CCT from my playlist. I'm still not a fan of the album version, but I could listen to what happened last night forever and be really happy.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 19, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got to my seat about a minute after Killing Joke finished playing. I'm not upset about missing them.

I loved hearing Tool in person. The sounds they make are incredible. The visuals were a big let down though. I was expecting more lasers and trippy, fractally pattern stuff... not weird zombies and skeletons doing weird things. It's a good thing I'm content to watch musicians that's are masters of their craft play music.

I really liked watching Maynard creep around the set after the last song and high five Danny, Adam, and Justin.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Since Monday I've been listening to all their albums at work, while commuting, and at home. My opinion of the show keeps improving each day.

As I listen to album versions of older songs I'm realizing how incredible Tool sounds now. Older albums, let's say pre-10,000 Days, sound... rough? Grungy? Especially compared to the... crisp (??) sounds on Fear Innoculum. I'm not sure how to describe the difference in sound because I don't have a vocabulary for music.

Anyway, my point is, the older songs that were played at the show sounded more in line with FI's sounds.

Take Swamp Song or Aenima. When they were played at the show they sounded like a song Tool would have made in 2019, not songs from 93/96. I guess what I'm getting at is the show was awesome and I've never heard such high quality music in person. I'm in a state of disbelief that I saw those songs played in front of me. I had an A+ experience and it only made me love Tool even more than I did previously. I hope I can see them again in a year or so.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like all of Tool’s music. I like Pneuma as much as I like Jerk Off. It’s all good. I wish you enjoyed it as much as I do cause I’m so psyched to have New Tool!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

hatelull posted:

So ... TOOL adjacent?

Watch Danny Carey, Les Claypool, Bill Kelliher, the guy from Coheed and Cambria plus the regular Two Minutes to Late Night crew cover Rush's "Anthem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

This cover rules. Thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
New Puscifer is okay. The last track is offensive to my ears. It sounds like trashy early 2000s rock the radio station plays. I turned it off 30 seconds into it.