Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my most recent experience with Tool was trying to stay polite while my girlfriends 40-something redneck uncle explained how Lateralus follows the fibonacci sequence and how 46&2 is about evolution and isn't that fuckin mindblowing, man, and isn't Tool really the Pink Floyd of our time?

I like the song, expect to like the album. The lyrics are dumb but I dig the vox. Sometimes I still pull out the 10,000 Days CD and look at the stereo scope pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

came across this article while looking up reviews and it made me irrationally angry

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a28610128/tool-band-new-album-fear-inoculum-should-never-be-released/

just lmao Tool is one of the most popular rock bands in history, you don't get to gatekeep it because you got bitter and old

anyway gonna try and listen to the album today, glad to hear y'all liking it a lot!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am pretty sure that article is satire.

I think you are right it's so over the top ridiculous that it must be, surely

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I like it. Its definitely the Danny-Adam-Justin show most of the time which is cool, Maynard seems pretty restrained the whole time. I don't care at all for the chug-a-lug parts Pneuma and some others have but overall the guitar work is good.

these are still very much "songs" it's just a different approach to songwriting than anything else they've done. every song has a ton of little bits that weave in and out and come together and apart over 10 minutes, its neat.

percussion is the highlight for me. Carey does so many cool fills and drum riffs (idk what to call it) that make each song its own thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

that little part in H is the best 20 seconds of music Tool has produced, its gonna be stuck in my head until I die

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yep that's the part, "the walls come down..." is where I always just go shiiittt

Aenima is such a good album, every song is so good holy hell. wish I could hear parallel universe Tool where their sound went in that direction more.

are any of the Tool clone bands any good? I've listened to Deadsoul Tribe and Soen and Rishloo and they're all super meh

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they're old now and just want to make chill music

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder if this album gets the metal grammy

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

When 10,000 Days was released there was a good contingent of the online Tool fan community who were convinced that it was a "decoy" album and the real one would surely be different! Specifically the major theory hinged around The Pot being an outtake from the Undertow days that was recorded in the 90s. Tool fans are weird.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

I was there for the fake 10k days theory, I bought it entirely and was in deep. Good times.

I took the edgy position that I could definitely tell Justin was using a fretless bass on some of the songs so they had to have been newly recorded. Being 15 was cool.

To be fair to everyone Tool did pull the "fake tracklist" thing before Lateralus so of course the logical next step was FAKE ALBUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

you should always wear ear plugs to concerts because everything's fine until it isn't, hearing loss and tinnitus fuckin sucks and please do everything you can to avoid it. the little orange foam ones are fine.