Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Tool's new album, Fear Inoculum, will be out August 30th.

The lead single and preorder info is coming Wednesday. Also they're finally on Spotify/Apple Music/what have you.

https://twitter.com/Tool/status/1158409126734487553

And lastly, it's the most self-indulgent Tool album yet - 85 minutes with only seven tracks. https://loudwire.com/new-tool-album-80-minutes-seven-tracks/

Yeah uh, that's it, but I had no idea which megathread they go in.

edit: why the hell not, here's the discussion thread(s) for the last album, over 13 years ago. Requires archives. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1806906 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1865144

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The cringiest part of the cover is that 2019 is "hidden" in the characters. But I think the title is even worse than the cover itself. That said, I am looking forward to the music.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://portofsoundrecords.com/products/fear-inoculum-cd-bundle?variant=28887843111017 apparently this is the deluxe version of the album, because they're just as late to the party getting back to vinyl as they were for streaming.

The download included is ten minutes longer than the CD, and the going theory is that it includes the ten minute rerecording of Opiate they teased a couple years back.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wasn’t the new A Perfect Circle album really bad? I’m surprised that Tool is still even together

A couple of the songs were good but the whole thing being "meh" wasn't really a surprise after eMotive anyway.

Billy Howerdel had two good albums in him and that was it - just look at Ashes Divide. That was crap too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

On first listen the title track isn't anywhere near as good as the two new songs they'd played this spring, so it's an odd choice both for title track and lead single.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's fairly enjoyable except for the terrible Adam Jones "solo" but the live videos of Descending and Invincible give me hope the rest is better.

That said it's pretty funny that this sounds exactly like what you'd get if you decided to make more Lateralus/10,000 days. Guess that's where they froze stylistically.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 7, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I ordered the silly CD/screen/book combo because I'm a consumer whore and while my tastes have changed/evolved, I still have one foot solidly in my high school tastes.

It's fitting that Spotify decided to play some Soundgarden, RATM, and AIC after this song was over.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Supposedly they've been working on remastering the whole back catalog for vinyl rerelease a for a few years. Hoping that's true.

I'd love to have Lateralus on vinyl but not the loving picture disc that's available.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I said come in! posted:

where are the pictures???

It's Tool, nobody's going to know what it looks like until the first redditor uploads an unboxing.

edit: actually I take that back, on Tool's website the news update says that an unboxing video will be share shortly, so sometime in the next week or so maybe?

quote:

Anyone, when reading the about the full album package, get a real consumer wasteland vibe? Not that the rest of the world isn’t trash but imagine if a band with as much potential influence as these males decided to go down a less gimmicky-electronics route, and maybe even do something potentially environmentally aware?

While I get what you're saying and really I agree, bands make essentially nothing from streaming and nobody buys regular CDs anymore. If bands want to make any money from the music itself, it has to be in a unique package that they can charge a premium for and get a big margin with low volume. So I understand why they're doing this. It's not like this is really going to move the needle on climate change.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 8, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The more I listen to this song I really like it and I feel like it's leading into a more aggressive track ,2 that will put it all in perspective. But the Adam Jones guitar solo at the end is just terribad.

I want to like him because he seems like a cool guy and his Instagram is fun but he's just not on the same level as Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ænima is unlistenable as a full album because of all the stupid-rear end multi-minute interludes.

The circus music intermission before H is awesome what the gently caress.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It seems that preorders on Amazon US sold out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tracklist is out, and the main 75 minute album is just the seven actual tracks. The interludes are bonus tracks that come with the download from the physical release.

quote:

1. Fear Inoculum
2. Pneuma
3. Invincible
4. Descending
5. Culling Voices
6. Chocolate Chip Trip
7. 7empest

Bonus tracks (available via the digital release; physical copy includes a digital download card): • Litanie contre la Peur • Legion Inoculant • Mockingbeat

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 14, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RDreamer posted:

Wait, the bonuses are interludes? I hadn't seen that anywhere. Interesting. I guess that explains a bit on why they didn't go with two discs for the physical release.

Yeah some reviews are out now, and the song-by-song ones identify the 3 bonus tracks as ambient interludes. I guess we keep waiting for that Opiate rerecording.

Apparently Chocolate Chip Trip is a long instrumental.

Persoally, I find it to be pretty sloppy to structure your album in such a way that part of the album's intended tracklist isn't on the loving album, but oh well.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 14, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Man am I glad that Tool has Instagram and Twitter now, because even after a redesign their site continues to be difficult to use and unnecessarily bloated. It's more like a hobby/art piece than a functional source of information.

And most of the poo poo STILL isn't about the band, even with an album imminent.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://streamable.com/bbt87

Unboxing video from some little kid. Crazy package but the screen doesn't seem to be that special, just standard weird animations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm sure you'll be able to get it in indie record stores at least, otherwise the advertising language on the package seems very pointless.

Edit: the album...is around.

And if you liked the title track at all, it's loving GOOD.

Edit: on Invincible now and I take back anything bad I said about Adam Jones. Holy poo poo. On this track everything he does fits perfectly. Edit 2: wow he's incredible on Descending. Again nothing super technical but for the song it is absolutely perfect.

Edit 3: Fear Inoculum is a good track but it's by far the worst track on the album.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 25, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

my bony fealty posted:

came across this article while looking up reviews and it made me irrationally angry

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a28610128/tool-band-new-album-fear-inoculum-should-never-be-released/

just lmao Tool is one of the most popular rock bands in history, you don't get to gatekeep it because you got bitter and old

anyway gonna try and listen to the album today, glad to hear y'all liking it a lot!

Ah yes, the small, ELITE group of devoted intellectuals, the Tool fanbase. What a loving dope.

Edit: this really benefits from headphones or a good sound system. So many tiny things going on.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 25, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

7empest may be one of their best songs ever.

"Keep calm, keeping it calm, keeping it calm, gently caress...here we go again"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Since no Tool thread is complete without terrible lists, this is how I see it right now:

7empest
Pneuma
Descending
Culling Voices
Invincible
Fear Inoculum
Chocolate Chip Trip (I basically consider this an interlude that I will probably skip more often than not)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Not in my opinion. I hear a lot of Undertow and Aenema types of riffs as well, as well as a number of new sounds they've never used. And overall this is definitely Adam Jones's best work and maybe Danny Carrey's.

Fear Inoculum is the least intetesting of all the six long songs, even though I do like it now.

Where it does have an overall similarity with the two most recent (heh) album is that they're all loving long with multiple "movements."

I suppose gun to my head I'd say it's more like Lateralus and 10,000 days than the 90s stuff, it's just not as clear-cut as that first song.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 26, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

A Big... Dog posted:

Is it just my FLAC -> 320 encode, or is there some crispy Zwan-style clipping all over this?

There's a reference you don't hear often. But yes I hear some of that at least.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

IUG posted:

So since the album is apparently great, I'll hold off on listening to the leak and wait until I buy it.

But has anyone found if you can buy it with the three extra tracks, preferably in like FLAC format? I'll just rip it to mp3 anyways, but I never like buying lossy albums when at least a CD is out. It just seems a bit pointless to buy the physical release this time when the CDs are missing tracks.

Not sure about FLAC format, but on both the mp3 preorder and streaming page for the album on Amazon, it lists the bonus interludes. So they're not exclusive to the physical edition download. Seems the "limited edition CD" is actually the only format that doesn't have the extra tracks.

Seems the album is pretty polarizing, which was the case for both 10,000 Days and Lateralus. So yeah it's a Tool album.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

...Und keine eier.

Edit: weird thing I read on Reddit today and just confirmed: when Maynard says "mitosis" in Fear Inoculum, it is exactly in the middle of the song. I know poo poo like the Holy Gift is stupid, but that seems like it can't be an accident in such a long song.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

WTF Right In Two owns.

That's the thing though, everyone has their own opinion. I think a large portion of the fanbase thinks everything after Aenima sucks (as evidenced in this very thread).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RDreamer posted:

But I am a loving weirdo and like 10,000 Days the most. It offers to me the most perfected they've been at their sound as well as an emotional heft not really present on a lot of their albums. The title track is the best thing they've done and Vicarious/Right in Two are not far behind.

10,000 Days is probably my favorite (with Jambi and The Pot being my personal standouts) and I can never really pick between Lateralus and Aenima.

I'm not sure this one is going to be in the mix with those 3 for me, but I don't think it's far off. Individually Pneuma, Descending, and 7empest I like more than most of the songs on those albums.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

echinopsis posted:

Their best song is Opiate

That's a funny way to spell H

Edit: Descending makes a hell of a loving running track with that climax in the middle

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

my bony fealty posted:

that little part in H is the best 20 seconds of music Tool has produced, its gonna be stuck in my head until I die

Which part? It has a lot of cool parts and a couple different soft parts. I'm assuming the part where the lyrics start with "without the skin?"

Because gently caress yeah that whole part building up to "I don't mind," holy poo poo.

edit: there ARE CD packages going to record stores, but not many. You'll want to go early if you want one. My local store just posted that their Tool albums go to the first two people when they open tomorrow.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 29, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Fors Yard posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CD INTO THE SLOT. IT’S AENIMA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, MAYNARD. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

Do you do the whooshing sounds on Ions?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I happen to be working from home and Amazon delivered the package first thing this morning, holy poo poo. The packaging is insane, definitely worthy of this killer album. I do wish instead of a spooky visualizer with ambient sounds, the video was something like a behind the scenes documentary but what can you do.

The cellophane actually says "the long awaited new album" :lol:

Also it's really loving weird to me that Tool just posted all of the new album on YouTube this morning. I mean, I knew it was going to happen, it's just weird, because they took so long to get with the times.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

They just announced tour dates:

Love that they're playing the UC in Chicago and not out in Rosemont :toot:

Yeah I mean I'd prefer one of the smaller venues but at least it's in the city. Imagine if it was Tinley :barf:

edit: the cover art works better with the version that's inside the trifold, where there's glossy embossed lines tracing spirals throughout.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 30, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

Killing Joke is the opener

This is cool as gently caress.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I do think it was bold to end with an interlude track on this one though. I felt like 7empest has an air of finality to it, but here come a bunch of loving animals shouting.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, how is that different than Lateralus/10k Days?

I guess you're right. I think the Art Bell thing is a really great ending, but I always forget that Right In Two isn't the end of 10000 days. It should be.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I personally thought Descending was a great emotional trip vocally especially in the middle. Granted he's not really around in the back half of the song but that leadup to the final "mitigate our ruin, call us all to arms and order" was loving awesome.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't know if it was the other musicians, apparently Howerdel already had almost all of Mer de Noms written before they even put the band together. Songs he'd spent his whole youth making, which is kind of hard to replicate later (though Thirteenth Step was really good).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CODChimera posted:

That would be great but I think we've probably pushed our luck even getting this album

Well we got it, so now we can look to the next one!

They've said there will be a next one, which is more than they said directly after 10,000 days so I don't think there's harm in hoping.

I would like to see either an album of 5-6 minute songs or see them lean into weirder instruments a la GSYBE if they want to do long rear end songs. I appreciate this album but if you're going to play a 15 minute song, drum/bass/guitar/vocals isn't necessarily the way to go. They did branch out a bit with instruments in this one, but not as much as say Radiohead or NIN to mention their typical fanbase contemporaries.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The vinyl releases could be interesting because, ugh, how do you sequence this?

You could sequence the full version (and you may as well make it the full version) in order on two LPs but you'll have sides of 22, 18, 24, and 22 minutes. That's not unheard of but I certainly hope it's not a picture disc.

Even with 3LP you're ending up with at least one 22 minute side unless you're going to put Fear Inoculum and Pneuma on their own sides, and if you go that route and cut out the extra interludes, you will end up with a 3 LP where each side is one song except side E with Culling Voices and Chocolate Chip Trip.

Edit: on looking at it, you could do the full ten song tracklist in order without exceeding 20 per side with a 3 LP. That's probably what they'll do, to the tune of $80.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chacmool posted:

While my nearest FYE was nice enough to offer to burn us a copy for "only" $15.99, I can't find a CD anywhere. Did they only release the limited edition on CD or what? I could've sworn I read they were doing a limited/regular/digital and vinyl release.

There's no regular CD release. There's going to be a vinyl version, supposedly several, but those will be later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"small additional quantity"

"limit 5 per order"