Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Overbite posted:

Ya thats another thing I noticed. It really doesn't feel like 10 minutes went by listening to it. The more I listen to it the more it grows on me but the ending is still kind of weak. It just kind of ends?

The way it ends makes me think it's going to lead into another track on the album as to where the single version cuts short, but i'm also talking out of my rear end here.

I'm in the camp where i wasn't nuts about this song at first, but i kept it on repeat because i figure i've waited long enough, might as well just keep blasting this poo poo and now i love it. It's similar to Lateralus/10,000 Days for sure, but i don't need them to reinvent the wheel to entertain me. i wish they'd do a track that sounded similar to something off Opiate, but that's me.

the album name i don't mind much either. it's corny, but all of Tool is and they could've called it Stinkfist 2 and i'd be okay with it.

though i am extremely more interested in hearing the other two songs performed at the live shows. the snippets i've heard are exciting and i'm pretty optimistic heading into the album. not having interludes will be spooky for 85 minutes, but i'm not a fan of interludes/skits on most albums anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Finished my first listen a while ago and come away in love with the album. It's a Tool album with interludes I'm not crazy about, but do appreciate having somewhat of a breather with all these 10+ minute tracks outside of CCT. My only real gripe with the album is that I wish it was a bit more aggressive in certain areas, but I've pretty much come to terms that the Opiate/Undertow days are over for the most part, which is fine. Though I feel like 7empest came close. All I can really say is "Wow". After listening to the single like a hundred times, hearing Pneuma was goosebumps worthy. Like even with Fear Inoculum, my mind couldn't process that there was more unheard material after that. And listening to Pneuma again right now, I'm getting goosebumps.

I think first impression has me leaving with Pneuma as my favorite song, but I really liked the opening guitar to 7empest that woke me up after the soft intro. Lots of elements of old Tool can be heard, but the guys have just mastered their sound and can repeat some of those elements without it getting tedious to me. Fanboying hard for this album overall though.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

H13 posted:

I think a few of the songs lack a bit of an ending. Culling Voices and Descending kinda just...have a half-assed crescendo and fade out. This is where a cheesy riff could've been cool. But those songs kick rear end regardless.

Yeah that's a good point. If Descending ended like around the 12:10 point where the guitar really picks up and just got heavier instead of fading out. same with Culling Voices. Their endings feel like songs that finish an album instead of being in the middle-ish. I guess Descending ends softly for Culling Voices soft intro, but that's where you just slap on an interlude of laser rays shooting into space to mellow out. But yeah the songs still rule.