Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Lol @ all the Adam Jones haters coming out of the woodwork. Where have you been all this time? I thought I was the only one.

Remember when he tried playing the National Anthem? Holy moly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I think another new track is a drum session with Carey called CCTrip. It was played at live shows. While I'm sure the drumming is technically skillful I bet it is another snoozey soundscape track.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

This thread started out snarky as hell and has changed since the leak! Glad the album isn't a total disaster.

Although the reddit thread is a bitch fest...

I trust goon judgement more.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Structurally, 46&2 is borrowed from King Crimsons Frame by Frame. (who I'm sure borrowed from someone else). Soundwise, sure, 46&2 is pretty nifty.

Wasnt there an AOL interview with Chancellor/Maynard in the 90s where they were sarcastic assholes and very blunt and said "nothing we do is original. We're just ripping off music we listened to as kids"

Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun = Pushit
The Sheltering Sky = Reflection

Etc

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

echinopsis posted:

ugh i just skipped thru them and it’s trashy weird ambient poo poo wtf

I agree with weird and ambient. Legion Inoculate made me think of Tangerine Dream helltrips.

I immediately listened to Invincible and Descending out of curiosity to see how they differ from the live bootlegs. The mixing is impeccable. This is really good stuff.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Pneuma and Invincible make my top 10 Tool song list, for sure.

I'm among the slightly younger generation of fan so I did not experience the 5-year gap between Lateralus and 10,000 Days. I probably heard those within days of each other because they were already out when I got into the band. With that said, 10,000 Days is more interesting to me than Lateralus. I love the ethereal quality of it, yet at the same time it is kind of a hodge-podge (Rosetta Stoned vs Wings for Marie) of song styles and themes and it is actually insane. Lateralus is much more cohesive.

Fear Inoculum seems like a tribute to all their albums. I don't get the "oh it is 10,000 Days" thing other than it being a mixture of stuff. Overall it is fairly dark and melancholic.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I was at a Puscifer show in 2012 and it cost $40.00 to stand on the floor with the band 15 ft away. I caught a bag of peanuts thrown by Maynard, instead of keeping them as a souvenir I apparently ate them because I have no idea where they went. Good show, tbh.

Seeing Tool in 2017 for the first time was a joke. The floor was an outrageous price and got seats... Weird seeing this band in a sports arena with 9.00 cups of beer and nachos. Too bad I missed the Aenema days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

catching up on this thread's last few pages because of the tour, and yeah I feel the same about a trimmed-down FI being a better album.

like Invincible, for example. my favorite on the album. I find the segment starting at 8 minutes where MJK does that autotune(?) stuff really silly. cut out 8:00-10:56 and it's better imo.

I can forgive 7empest because it's like the Rosetta Stoned of the album, where it's a fun jam session (or less generously, a bunch of leftover pieces strewn together). but then you have Culling Voices - like, what is even happening in this song that is remotely interesting, musically? and the titular song never did anything for me.