Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wasn’t the new A Perfect Circle album really bad? I’m surprised that Tool is still even together

It was supremely forgettable for sure. Tool has managed to sell out arenas on the regular with their sporadic touring over the years since their last official LP dropped. The fanbase is still there to throw money at them, and arguably the diehards from the early 90's when dude was painting himself blue and living center stage are now firmly in adulthood with potentially more cash to drop on tickets, albums, and VIP packages. I bet they know what they're doing from a "how do we keep this successful" standpoint.

e: I am Jack's bad grammar.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

angrygodofjebus posted:

This was a festival show so they only had 90 minutes, but last night's setlist:

Fear Inoculum
Ænema
The Pot
Invincible
Part of Me
Parabola
Jambi
Forty Six & 2
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Pneuma

That's about the same number of songs they typically play in their tours though. I would not be surprised if that's the set list for this tour with maybe swapping out "Part of Me" for another deep cut depending on the mood. Their sets are typically static given the lasers and lights.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skitz posted:

So Maynard's just hot-footing it off stage before the show's even over now? The gently caress is this poo poo?(Skip to 10:30)
https://youtu.be/QcZPosboRqQ

I mean he hasn't really engaged with the crowd (other than the occasional smarmy remark between songs) for some time now. Why would this surprise you? Dude clocks in, does the thing and then clocks out.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

He only started seeming disinterested post-2000 or so. He used to have huge stage presence.

Yes. Pre Lateralus he was definitely playing the part, taking down stage divers, painting himself blue, doing the whole dichotomy of man schtick (or whatever the red/blue maynard represented). That tour was when he started placing himself stage right of the drum kit if my math is right. It makes sense given the direction their music has taken. I want to stay Lateralus was when their sound got way more exploratory and prog. With all the lasers, lights, and :catdrugs: one more bald dude aping on stage whilst dressed as a psychotic preacher is probably just excess at that point when they're going off on jammy instrumental tangents.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

But then what would you wear to the NEXT Tool show?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So ... TOOL adjacent?

Watch Danny Carey, Les Claypool, Bill Kelliher, the guy from Coheed and Cambria plus the regular Two Minutes to Late Night crew cover Rush's "Anthem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I listened to that last record through a lot of 2020 while working from home. It definitely sounded like an LP from that band but I never remembered anything about it immediately after listening. Maybe that's good because it's like hearing it for the first time with every spin?

I'll probably try and nab tickets for this tour, if only in the hopes that the set list has been updated and I'm not having to rock out to "stinkfist" yet AGAIN.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Oh wow. How long have been skipping on "Stinkfist" in the set list?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Hit up a local after lunch today and spotted one of the new Fear Inoculum vinyl release in the wild. $189.99.

Send more money indeed.

I did not buy that record.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

SPEEEND MORE MONEY!!

Seriously Devo got into a really good grad school ...

https://store.toolband.com/dept/new-arrivals