Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Adam Jones' guitar work is so goddamn uncreative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Somebody trained a songwriting neural net using only the last 2 Tool albums, and this new one will be the result.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Because you can only listen to bland drop D chugging and the same 3 note "solos" so much before you're sick of it. Dude knows like 5 power chords and had already exhausted their potential combinations during the Bush administration.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Emetic Hustler posted:

tool have had clipping issues since barresi got involved. shame, really. that's what put me off 10k days.

Yeah the overload on Vicarious felt like amateur hour. I guess it's his thing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
what the hell, undertow owns

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nail Rat posted:

That's a funny way to spell H

Woooord

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A good thing about Aenima over its successors is the production itself. There's some cool stuff going on with mono/stereo switching, where a lot of the guitar tracks are mono until the final chorus, so there's a lot of audio bunched in the center that gives it that signature noisy wall sound. The albums that followed are wayyy too clean and pristine.

I also wonder if the songs on Aenima sound significantly different from the newer stuff due to Paul D'Amour having a hand in writing several of them (Stinkfist, Eulogy, Pushit, Aenema, and H.). Tool hasn't had that grunge-groove feel they had on the early albums in a long time, and maybe he played a big part in that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I just listened to the album for the first time and found it pretty boring. It's 80 minutes of near-recycled riffs with some cool moments here and there, and a lot of repetitive chugging and filler. Maynard probably had the demos sent to him and was baffled at how the hell he's supposed to sing a progressing melody over 80% of that poo poo and said "gently caress it, I'll sit this out".

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A straightforward rock record full of five minute songs would be refreshing as hell.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, that's unacceptable. I was listening to 7empest on a good quality stereo and it's like every drum fill is full of static. Just wait for the vinyl, if they actually take the time to master it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
God help me, I'm actually doing a fan edit of this loving album.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jewmanji posted:

Did anyone else see them on the first Lateralus tour? I remember it so vividly because of how formative it was for me in my early adolescence. One thing I’m not sure if I’m making up though- did they bring out two acrobats in the schism makeup to hang from the ceiling and swing around? I remember it like it was a dream.

Yup. They were called Osseus Labyrint. Still the best show of theirs I've been to.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
At least 10,000 Days has some memorable hooks.

So I finished my dork rear end fan edit of Fear Inoculum. My main beef with the album is when the progression of the songs grinds to a halt so Adam could do monotonous open D chugging for 16 measures, followed by another 16 measures of drum and bass grooves while he sustains 3 notes over and over, and this happens in a lot of the tracks. Or those moments of repeating, uninteresting plodding power chords that sound like my first garage band.

I tried to tighten all that poo poo up. I barely edited the title track, otoh l just straight up excised the last third of Culling Voices and turned it into an interlude, and chopped the hell out of Tempest. Pretty much every song has something rearranged here or there. I ran them all through a de-crackle to curb a good portion of the clipping static too.

I know it's ocd as hell, but eh, it was a fun exercise, and I do think the overall song structure/progression is improved with some liberal editing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Same.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I haven't bought concert tickets in a long while, and it's nuts how much worse it is now. For the Lateralus tour, I got up early, logged on, refreshed a couple of times, and bam, I had GA tickets where I was on the front rail. Now, my friend had to wait in a virtual randomized line for nothing and spend over a grand on a resale site for 3 decent tickets. No way in hell I'm going to that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I found it crazy that Ticketmaster owns the next largest ticket resale business behind stubhub. They actually profit off of ticket resales, so it's their largest area of income growth now. They're probably buying the drat tickets themselves and reselling them on their own site.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If the truth is weird, maybe.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nail Rat posted:

They literally don't have any posters, just one wall scroll that's only the album artwork. A tour poster would be nice.

Eh? They've had a unique poster by a different artist for each individual show. But yeah, shirts are trash.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It seems that GA for a lot of shows is being continually abandoned for seated ticketing. That way, the venue can jack up the price of tickets per floor section, or in some cases, per row. :capitalism:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

somnambulist posted:

I also don’t know what makes 7empest a bad song, I really enjoy it. *shrug*

Because it doesn't have any kind of natural flow towards a place, or a sense of cohesion. It just sounds like it was made by picking old unrelated and recycled riffs randomly from a hat and sticking them together. You could put them in any order and it doesn't matter much. I made an alternate edit of it, cutting a bunch of poo poo and swapping a bunch of sections around, and it sounds just as much like a complete song as the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It was the opposite. Maynard said the thing would've been completed ten years ago if the rest of the band could stop jerking off and finish a drat song.