Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Maybe, like everyone else, it's just because I'm older now, but I just can't get into the new album. Although it does have a plethora of interesting 'bits', the overwhelming theme to me is one of plodding sterility. Maynard may as well not have shown up at all, but I don't know whether it's because he can't sing anymore, or has chosen not to.

Oh well, at least now everything is on Spotify I can just repeatedly blast Aenima and Lateralus :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think Pitchfork summed the album up best with 'you can practically see the band sitting on cushioned stools in the studio, quietly counting out the meter with polite head-nods.'

That said, I still like it (and think overall its better than 10,000 Days, at least), and I've watched the video of Danny playing Pneuma dozens of times.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Madkal posted:

try tell me Vicarious isn't another version of Stinkfist with a straight face

My face is straight. What?! Can you elaborate? I can't see this at all.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Absolutely the best thing to come out of Fear Inoculum's release was all their back catalogue being made available on streaming services. I listen to their pre-FI stuff virtually every day now, whereas I hadn't listened to it for years before.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
drat, that's exciting. I hope the UK dates don't get instantly bought out by scalpers. I'm guessing these will all be arena dates.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
My friends and I have bought lovely seats for the London dates. Worked out at about £100 each, which is loving crazy. I wasn't that fussed about going, but my best pal who's clinically vulnerable and has literally not been in any kind of crowded space for the last 18 months, insisted, and said 'it's worth dying for', so welp there we go.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Emetic Hustler posted:

I rarely go to big name concerts, but is the standard price for floor tickets nowadays 100+ euro? Back in 2006 when I paid 50+ euros for floor tickets. It's inflation isnt't it? Unfortunately the nearest they will come is a ferry ride away and it's already soldout but the tickets for floor was 130 euros without fees.

In the UK at least, concert prices have inflated massively in recent years. Unless you're seeing real underground acts, it's more or less impossible to see anyone for less than £35. And that's very much on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What was the slur, was it the f bomb? I don't think people should be making excuses for him either way. Lots of people make it into their 60s and beyond without resorting to bigotry.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Oh gently caress that looks amazing. Hopefully they don't mix it up too much before they come to the UK.

I just wanna experience the end of The Grudge (from the final 'let gooooo') where Danny goes nuts. One of my favourite bits of heavy metal of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Saw them in London last night. Absolutely awesome. I'm super impressed at how good Maynard sounds, even if there's some obvious effects involved to help with some of the tougher moments.

They definitely focused too much on FI stuff, which while very good just lacks the punch of any of their pre-10,000 Days material.

Highlights were double whammy of Sober followed by Undertow, as well as a nice happy birthday moment for Danny.