Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think people are being hard on the song but it’s not surprising considering 10,000 days came out when George W Bush was still President and there’s a lot of expectations.

Personally I feel Maynard’s vocals are on point, the lyrics are good, the drumming is REALLY good- the only thing I can see being a “parody” (in reference to the last post) is recognizable guitar progressions that may feel tired to some people but I don’t blame them for releasing something familiar to start with. It’s been over a DECADE.

I am a bit nervous as a whole on the project because 85 minutes long might be EXHAUSTING for 7 tracks but even if the title track was recognizable in terms of sound, it did fly by pretty quickly.

I’ve heard interviews saying none of the songs were being made for radio or as “singles” in the traditional sense so I’m hopeful when I listen to the whole thing it all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I said come in! posted:

I want to maybe buy this, but also want to know what it costs first and to see pictures / video.

It’s 39 bucks on amazon.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I gotta admit, now that the shock of a new Tool song has passed and the new song has processed in my brain I’m really liking it a lot more.

I had a similar (but different) experience with Random Access Memories. When Get Lucky dropped I honestly thought it was fake, it wasn’t what I wanted at all and it took me a minute to get used to it but once the hype settled down a bit I really enjoyed it.

This is different in the sense the song wasn’t a radical departure from their past work like RAM was, it’s so familiar and new at the same time- but I wasn’t sure WHAT to expect after such a long hiatus.

There’s a lot of layers and stuff to unravel in this 10 minute song, but I’m really hoping the whole album is a great experience. Here’s hoping.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Tool will always sound like Tool, they have a “sound”. It’s not technically complex but it has a certain mood.

Give me more songs like Parabol, Wings for Marie, and Right in Two mixed with a few bangers like Eulogy, Parabola, and The Grudge and I’d be a happy camper.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

ICHIBAHN posted:

Think that's asking a lot tbh

I mean it seems plausible , we’re most likely getting 1-3 tracks that are “dark and mystical” like Parabol , and the others more like the title track and probably 1-2 heavier songs. We’ll see!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is dumb.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

RDreamer posted:

Bands have never done double disc albums before. Never. No choice at all here. Oh well.

How is that any better? Stopping a playthrough, switching discs, to listen to 3 more tracks?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Nail Rat posted:

https://streamable.com/bbt87

Unboxing video from some little kid. Crazy package but the screen doesn't seem to be that special, just standard weird animations.

gently caress that’s nice packaging. So glad I preordered.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

7empest. is. EVERYTHING.

Love the whole album. Culling Voices hits me in all the right places too.

gently caress yeah, this is dope.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Nail Rat posted:

7empest may be one of their best songs ever.

"Keep calm, keeping it calm, keeping it calm, gently caress...here we go again"

Yeah I keep coming back to 7empest and Pneuma. 7empest is incredible. I dont want to burn myself out from the album, but after 13 years of waiting I've been letting it play in the background and every time 7empest comes back on I cant help but smile. Adam Jones redeems himself! And dat drumming. gently caress its good.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

In the end they did what they had to do. Lots of people don’t like Tool. Lots of people find Tool uninteresting or uber pretentious or whatever we’ve heard for 10,000 days. But it’s a great Tool record, they changed their sound for some tracks, others have lots of familiar melodies and a WHOLE lot of layers.

New thread title: gently caress: here we go again

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

H13 posted:

Does the album get heavier than Fear Inoculum? I'm waiting until the release date and I'm not expecting it to, but I'd like it to...

7empest is the heaviest song, but not the whole song is heavy. It feels more like Lateralus. Definitely heavier than the single though. It’s so loving good, if you like Tool it’s hard to not like this song. (Obviously an opinion but come on.....)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I don’t have a favorite album, I love select tracks from each album and don’t really listen to the rest.

From Undertow:
Prison Sex
Sober
Undertow

From Aenima:
Stinkfist
Eulogy
Forty Six & 2
Hooker with a Penis
Jimmy
Aenema
Third Eye

Lateralus
The Grudge
Schism
Parabol/Parabola
Lateralus

10,000 days
Vicarious
Jambi
Wings for Marie part 2
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two

Fear Inoculum
Fear Inoculum
Pneuma
Descending
7empest

Personally I listen to 10,000 days the most though, I like the vibe of that album the most, then Lateralus, then Aenima, then Undertow. I’ll prolly end up with FI somewhere between 10,000 days and Lateralus.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Amazon still hasn’t delivered my copy. Argh. I want to play with the pretty packaging!

Also the more I listen the more I love, Invincible and Descending really grew on me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I used to hate the song and now I cannot stop listening to Rosetta Stoned. The build up towards the end is my favorite and I love the idea of this stoner guy getting contacted by aliens and not writing how the world ends because he forgot a pen.

Also. poo poo the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Still don’t get the hate for 10,000 days, it’s my favorite after Aenima and Lateralus (which is my favorite)

I also don’t know what makes 7empest a bad song, I really enjoy it. *shrug*