Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

we have two different chat applications, both are buggy as gently caress. the desk videophones are the same, and lol at getting reliable integration between them. one of the 2 chat applications has a functional mobile app, but it doesn't realise when you are on the desktop one and vibrates on every message. surely someone has made this work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
VoIP signalling is a complicated beast and involves a lot of fire and forget protocols

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's supposed to make employees miserable, that's what makes it enterprise

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

abigserve posted:

VoIP signalling is a complicated beast and involves a lot of fire and forget protocols

surely chat apps should work though. whatsapp famously had like 30 engineers and it works great. cisco probably has 30,000 or something and all their stuff sucks rear end

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

imagine writing a chat app but dealing with 20 years of technical debt in unrelated product lines that you are told to integrate with

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

real-time text and voice based communication has been solved problems for a long time but that doesnt mean we can't keep trying to solve them!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

r u ready to WALK posted:

it's supposed to make employees miserable, that's what makes it enterprise

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

abigserve posted:

imagine writing a chat app but dealing with 20 years of technical debt in unrelated product lines that you are told to integrate with

feels like making a working product should come first but what do i know. it's not as though any of the integrations work well anyway

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
im. slowly. dying....

DIE BITCH

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

enterprise software is designed by people who were too stupid to be trusted with the job of deciding what colour the bike shed should be

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i don't think we do traffic shaping on video calls if one of the participants isn't on site. i think the issue is that it goes over a vpn thing but not through the routers which do the shaping, but i don't know anything about networking. i couldn't find a way to fix it on my laptop and it means that video calls are garbage as soon as there's a dropped packet.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Use Discord.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Other than the loading screens that go like "hey gamers!!!!!! buckle up sh00p da w00p arrow to teh knee" it is otherwise a perfect piece of software for communication needs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rear end posted:

Other than the loading screens that go like "hey gamers!!!!!! buckle up sh00p da w00p arrow to teh knee" it is otherwise a perfect piece of software for communication needs.

have they added the feature of "being able to leave a channel" yet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

i don't think we do traffic shaping on video calls if one of the participants isn't on site. i think the issue is that it goes over a vpn thing but not through the routers which do the shaping, but i don't know anything about networking. i couldn't find a way to fix it on my laptop and it means that video calls are garbage as soon as there's a dropped packet.

voice and video traffic are extremely sensitive to poor connections so they're a pain in the rear end if you don't totally control the network. for remote people its definitely best effort.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

voice and video traffic are extremely sensitive to poor connections so they're a pain in the rear end if you don't totally control the network. for remote people its definitely best effort.

I call in on WhatsApp or Skype now outside the vpn it works better than the $$$$ Cisco solution from home.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rear end posted:

Use Discord.

In the China office everyone uses WeChat or the other thing (qq?). It makes compliance really mad because they can't get the chats out but all the counterparties use them so they can't do anything

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Jonny 290 posted:

have they added the feature of "being able to leave a channel" yet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

I call in on WhatsApp or Skype now outside the vpn it works better than the $$$$ Cisco solution from home.

your corp cant control stuff outside their network so if you have to transit a bunch of different networks to VPN in you're gonna have a lovely experience. WhatsApp and skype have servers in distributed datacenters so theres usually one close to you. also they're usually directly connected to you in some form if you're on a major ISP and your corp internet probably isn't.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you should really switch to Teams

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

idk op, I pick up the handset, dial a number, and it makes the call.

works for me won’t change

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

google meet is very good, i highly recommend putting everyone in your org on google meet immediately

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At last, enterprise grade thread is back

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rear end posted:

Use Discord.

I actually chuckled at the idea of trying to use discord for corporate communications, thanks

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
enterprise grade chat software means there is an inch of white space above and below every single line of chat. you cannot change this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

federate my whitespace

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
someone reanimate the oscar protocol or whatever it was and just rerelease deadAIM 5.8 with a new logo for big money.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

sametime was actually good despite the baggage of lotus notes

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

feels like making a working product should come first

you must be new here

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Captain Foo posted:

I actually chuckled at the idea of trying to use discord for corporate communications, thanks

the idea of training office staff to use discord is giving me a headache

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

can you join teams from different companies yet?

otherwise msft teams isn't bad

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
enterprise is a depressing place for depressing people to write software for other deeply depressed people. nothing good can come of it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

we have teams but it doesn't work with the phones yet unless you do some manual fiddling which gets wiped every weekend when they reapply config.

Shaggar posted:

your corp cant control stuff outside their network so if you have to transit a bunch of different networks to VPN in you're gonna have a lovely experience. WhatsApp and skype have servers in distributed datacenters so theres usually one close to you. also they're usually directly connected to you in some form if you're on a major ISP and your corp internet probably isn't.

sounds like skype and whatsapp are better at this than cisco then

e: i meant cisco teams not microsoft teams.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 7, 2019

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
One of the offices I work at recently got new phones that need to authenticate in the cloud to make internal calls. It sucks.
They should have left the old asterisk box there that was kicking away for a decade without issue. The hold music was an iPod shuffle with the Bejeweled 3 soundtrack on loop for literally years

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i think we have at least 3 different chat clients now. the latest one was supposed to be "amazing guys because you can send hashtags!!!" or something but oops turns out it doesn't implement most of the features of the previous one so now we have both runngin side by side.

then i saw some other guy was using jabber yesterday and idk wtf he got that from

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
slack is okay but is desperately lacking the ability to mute people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

so, no.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
you can hide muted channels, so yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
but you're still in the channel.

this is horrible UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Share Bear posted:

google meet is very good, i highly recommend putting everyone in your org on google meet immediately

the fuk is google meet? sincere question