Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:haw:

This works on like two levels, as there's the joke itself but its also a bit of duke nukem reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does Dominic still post around here?

Not in a while. He used to post on the steam thread and early FPS one. If my memory isn't hosed up, there were a few spergs that started to throw at him and well, took a break from SA.

Edit: Last Post Mar 27, 2017 18:28

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 15, 2019

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I see that the EA has some sort of exclusive map that won't be in the full game? What's the deal with that?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The ending is already up on youtube :negative:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does Dominic still post around here?

He's real active on Twitter, recommend following him there! @DominicTarason

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

rock paper shotgun has gone so far downhill from when it launched it's not even funny.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNk-W3nHJZI&t=1s

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm updating!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is loving incredible so far, the game is beautiful and plays amazingly. this is like build engine's Dusk. It might knock Blood off the top spot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Launch trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncC9jrCqgG8

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Please someone correct me if from 1:15 it doesn't sound like 'Invaders must die' from The Prodigy because that would be a lil' slap to Duke Nukem Forever's launch trailer too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I should have worked from home. I've got a pre-demo at work today and came in for that, only to find out that half of my team is WFH anyways. :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gman: "The crossbow doesnt feel like a bow it could just as easily be a rifle. I never used the alt fire"

Civvie: "Here's the best weapon in the game, the crossbow." **Murders the first boss in two volleys of the alt fire**

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That dude's the worst

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Game is pretty and stuff

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played a few minutes of the first level. Really good and well done! Chose Wanton Carnage and it was real easy but I am assuming it steps up later.

Also, use an ATM!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are there plans (or is it even possible) to make a DOS version of this game so I can play it on my old 486 or Pentium PC?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

I should have worked from home. I've got a pre-demo at work today and came in for that, only to find out that half of my team is WFH anyways. :(

My team always WFH on thursday :dance:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hell yeah, this game'll be getting workshop support in a couple of days.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank goodness Wanton Carnage is easy because Ive found and will find approximately 0 secrets I can already tell.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shoehead posted:

Gman: "The crossbow doesnt feel like a bow it could just as easily be a rifle. I never used the alt fire"

Civvie: "Here's the best weapon in the game, the crossbow." **Murders the first boss in two volleys of the alt fire**

:laffo: More GamerGateMan tomfuckery. What a toolshed. Civvie killin it as usual. I wasn't so hot on the crossbow in the EA version for some reason but it's really useful here. I still wish there was a nice hefty rocket launcher as a good gently caress You weapon, but the guns feel so good to use.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
After watching LGRs review I am pretty hyped. I am a sucker for games like Shadow Warrior and Duke 3D.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Imagine being a person in this day and age who doesnt wait for Civvie / Yahtzee to weigh in on classic shooters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah the weapons all seem rock-solid and beautifully animated, but of the "main" Build games (Duke, Blood, and Shadow Warrior...hell, maybe even Redneck Rampage) this game seems to play it safest with its variety. I kind of miss anything like Duke's shrink ray/microwave gun, or Blood's Voodoo doll, napalm cannon, and hairspray, or Shadow Warrior's ripper heart and nuke--although if I'm being honest, I miss chopping poo poo up with a metal sword and pitching gas grenades too.

I have to agree with other commenters that you've got a sci-fi setting and no legit sci-fi lasers or plasma cannons or whatever (I guess the crossbow is kind of a laser gun).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My quick first impressions.

The best part of the game is the level design. It's colorful, super detailed, both in the 'macro' and 'micro' sense, and it's in the Goldilocks area of complexity. Complex enough to be interesting, not huge or complex enough to be a pain in the rear end to traverse or explore, with just the right amount of secondary routes. And they are full of secrets. They are a joy to play.

That said... I'm not too hot on the combat by itself. First, the sound. I'm finding the two main weapons (revolver, shotgun) to be weak and without a noteworthy sound effect. It doesn't sound as good feedback for the weapons they represent. In general all the sounds are a bit too old school, they sound a bit muddled.
Second, the combat itself. The AI sucks. And I don't mean 'they aren't a crack elite squad that coordinates superb between them and flush me like an expert', I mean in the sense of enemies mostly staying on the spawn position and shooting, or move very slowly. In a few occasions they were like trying to move against a corner so add also possible AI pathfinding issues.
You may argue "they don't have to be SMART, they have to be fun to fight! Demons in Doom weren't exactly smart" (insert smug emoji here). But in old school games like Doom combat is fun thanks to most enemies projectiles being avoidable and variety of enemies (enemies that spawn other enemies, that resurrect allies, that charge at you in a straight line, etc) that allows for a variety of combat encounters. Here most enemies are hitscan enemies, beyond a pair of 'small annoying' enemies, without any special ability or pattern of attack, and in fact a slower and more careful pace is promoted thanks to the hit location damage (aim for the heads).
Oh, one more flaw of the combat: there are not pain animations. Tsk tsk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thank goodness Wanton Carnage is easy because Ive found and will find approximately 0 secrets I can already tell.

After playing Going Down in Doom, I'm finding zero secrets here and its real stressful. I want to find all the cool secrets! Cyriak was better about making them fairly intuitive to find.

And from what I've heard, the secrets only give you a little bit, so making them impossible to find is kinda weird.

My hope (and probably their design) is that there's just so many secrets that I bumble into at least a few of them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So according to Steam Charts there are currently 1,285 playing this game, vs DUSK's peak of 557 and Amid Evil's 335. Fwiw, I think New Blood considers both of those games financial successes, but it does lead me to believe that conventional games press still matters a lot because when I compare the number of day-one/early reviews, IF's got way more pickup. For comparison's sake, DUSK--the oldest--lists 19 professional reviews, Ion Fury already has 15, Amid Evil, 9. On top of that, I'd guess that the largest publications that scored DUSK were Destructoid, PCGamer, GameInformer, and RPS. Amid Evil didn't get a GI review, or even an RPS one. Meanwhile, Ion Maiden got writeups and videos by all of them and is the only one of the three that IGN and Eurogamer rated at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah the weapons all seem rock-solid and beautifully animated, but of the "main" Build games (Duke, Blood, and Shadow Warrior...hell, maybe even Redneck Rampage) this game seems to play it safest with its variety. I kind of miss anything like Duke's shrink ray/microwave gun, or Blood's Voodoo doll, napalm cannon, and hairspray, or Shadow Warrior's ripper heart and nuke--although if I'm being honest, I miss chopping poo poo up with a metal sword and pitching gas grenades too.

I have to agree with other commenters that you've got a sci-fi setting and no legit sci-fi lasers or plasma cannons or whatever (I guess the crossbow is kind of a laser gun).
Yeah, I never played bombshell for obvious reasons, but I checked out the wiki for it and it sounds like it has quite a few esoteric energies, so it's weird to me that they didn't either adapt any of them to first-person or come up with their own. Hoping weapon mods take off.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wonder if it was the lawsuit that drew in more mainstream outlets, because otherwise I don't really see why they'd set their sights on this over the other two. Maybe the Duke influence just has more appeal than Quake/Hexen?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MMF Freeway posted:

I wonder if it was the lawsuit that drew in mainstream outlets, because otherwise I don't really see why they'd set their sights on this over the other two. Maybe the Duke influence just has more appeal than Quake/Hexen?
I think it's more the fact that 1C's a fairly big publisher and just sent out a bunch of copies to the major outlets. NB seems more focused on trying to build groundroots support for their games through its Discord, tongue-in-cheek tweeting, memes, giveaways, and streamer collaboration.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

So according to Steam Charts there are currently 1,285 playing this game, vs DUSK's peak of 557 and Amid Evil's 335. Fwiw, I think New Blood considers both of those games financial successes, but it does lead me to believe that conventional games press still matters a lot because when I compare the number of day-one/early reviews, IF's got way more pickup. For comparison's sake, DUSK--the oldest--lists 19 professional reviews, Ion Fury already has 15, Amid Evil, 9. On top of that, I'd guess that the largest publications that scored DUSK were Destructoid, PCGamer, GameInformer, and RPS. Amid Evil didn't get a GI review, or even an RPS one. Meanwhile, Ion Maiden got writeups and videos by all of them and is the only one of the three that IGN and Eurogamer rated at all.

Yep, marketing still matters. A lot.

In this case I think the 'gimmick' of using the Build engine in 2019 (and looking purty enough!) helped the game in getting press coverage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The soundtrack is really good, but I'm gonna have to put on some Carpenter Brut

Some nice little touches that weren't in the preview episode, like this weapon selection preview wheel on the right

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

A good game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I want print versions of all the posters in this game

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Zaphod42 posted:

The soundtrack is really good, but I'm gonna have to put on some Carpenter Brut

throwing out bangin' tracker music in favor of the dead horsiest microgenre? this is an extremely poor decision.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Good old build engine. My first death was getting inexplicably killed by the geometry in the bathroom of the first level. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaspy Conana posted:

throwing out bangin' tracker music in favor of the dead horsiest microgenre? this is an extremely poor decision.

:doh: I was wrong anyways its a Perturbator song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kg80jAtI8 I was just making a joke about the bar name being a reference to the Terminator bar which Peturbator also referenced.

Hey man there may be a lot of something but that doesn't mean the good stuff isn't good.

The tracker music is good but I already said that, chill :)

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The tracker music is actually in XM Fasttracker II format and in the game's files so you can load it up and have a look at everything (at least according to the dev on twitch)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stickying this because drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hell yeah.

I think so far Heskel has only spoken to me in mid 90's metal\rock quotes and I love it