Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Yeah, I am going to buy this when I get home. It seems like they put a great deal of love into the maps and props, I appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Launch Day Technical Update blog post, includes a link to the level editor.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Crossposting from Classic FPS thread:

F U C K Y O U B A L T I M O R E

quote:

We'll gently caress your wife!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

Dominic Tarson (the person who should have reviewed it on RPS, but he was let go a few weeks ago)

really? drat that guy was spot on for everything oldschool FPS stuff and more. He has a terrific taste in games which aligns a lot with mine. He was the best writer they got in the recent past. Well guess it's all RGB hardware ads now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Crossposting from Classic FPS thread:

F U C K Y O U B A L T I M O R E

:allears:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I normally don't rag on reviews but drat, that starting paragraph:

RPS posted:

I probably didn’t grow up when you did. I feel the need to get that out of the way early, because this review is largely going to be about how Ion Fury’s old-school sensibilities clash with my own. Not all of them, I should stress. Shooters have trended towards a slower pace, while I’m a nippy boy. It feels good to shoot and hop.

I’m just so unbearably lost.
Some games just need previous experience with a genre to be reviewed properly. It's like giving a bullet hell title to somebody who never played one before, the review would be just kinda useless. What in the hell, it's not like this game came out of nowhere.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
this game is rad but something bugs me about the level design. one of my favorite things about build engine games is their weird abstract takes on real spaces. blood's train station/morgue/carnival/opera house/steamboat, duke's theater, film lot, etc etc. this game is somehow failing to scratch the same itch for me (mall level aside) even though there are plenty of recognizable locales and lots of props. a futuristic neon city is cool but, dang, set a level in an amusement park or an aquarium or just anything interesting. this is a super specific nitpick and i recognize that it's kind of dumb to whine about.

Zaphod42 posted:

:doh: I was wrong anyways its a Perturbator song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kg80jAtI8 I was just making a joke about the bar name being a reference to the Terminator bar which Peturbator also referenced.

Hey man there may be a lot of something but that doesn't mean the good stuff isn't good.

The tracker music is good but I already said that, chill :)

:3 ok ok sorry.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 15, 2019

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The sound that the grenades make when they bounce.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just realized whats happening when I use the Loverboy's secondary. It turns you into the bullshit Build engine hitscanner.

Not so fun is it now, assholes???

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Barudak posted:

I just realized whats happening when I use the Loverboy's secondary. It turns you into the bullshit Build engine hitscanner.

Not so fun is it now, assholes???
Insert McCree meme here.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I fuckin' love this game already and I'm only two areas in, hunting for all the secrets. The weapons feel super-satisfying, the movement is incredibly slick for such an old engine (the only way I can tell that this really is still using BUILD is the bizarre micro-shuffle to the left as you come to a stop after travelling straight forward/backward), enemies don't have hitscans/are taking the right amount of punishment before dropping (headshots are also excellent), and the levels... hoo boy, this is gonna be a hell of a ride. Actually having to jump around and look for clues to find all the secrets is some good poo poo too, with worthwhile rewards. They're just hidden enough to make you appreciate the design without turning into frustratingly obscure pixel-hunts or bullshit Wolf3D-style wallhumping adventures.

My only complaint at the moment goes to those stupid little bastard head-spider things. Tiny ground-based enemies like that have never worked well in any 2.5D FPS (Strife, Blood, Alien Trilogy... etc.), and they even suck in 3D FPS games (Doom 3, DUSK). Here, they remind me of this fuckin' guy, of all things.

But that's a minor gripe. Game good, buy now.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The sound that the grenades make when they bounce.
Oh, memories :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My only complaint at the moment goes to those stupid little bastard head-spider things. Tiny ground-based enemies like that have never worked well in any 2.5D FPS (Strife, Blood, Alien Trilogy... etc.), and they even suck in 3D FPS games (Doom 3, DUSK). Here, they remind me of this fuckin' guy, of all things.

But that's a minor gripe. Game good, buy now.
The revolver's alt-fire makes quick work of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Loverboy is up there with the Halo 1 pistol in "best pistols in gaming"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I didn't actually use Loverboy's alt-fire much at all when I played the EA stuff, but I've been definitely using the hell out of it now.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I adore Shelly's constant shittalking.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

The revolver's alt-fire makes quick work of them.

My 20+ years of running around with a shotgun* as my go-to weapon for the vast majority of any FPS is getting in the way of remembering that. In fact, I'm having a rough time remembering that there is even alt-fire, which is baffling given that I've been playing Blood recently.

*Not Quake's shotgun, that was poo poo.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I adore Shelly's constant shittalking.
It grew on me real fast. "Talk poo poo, get shot!" made me laugh more than it should have.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 16, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love Shelly's quotes. Theyre the right mix of trying too hard and earnestly stupid.

The shotgun is really satisfying to use, I think its the tight spread and just how good enemies crumple when you shoot them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The self-awareness on the quips and one-liners is what makes them work. It's that perfect 80's/90's style where you know/expect it and laugh along. Shelly's poo poo-talking is somewhere between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Campbell. I love it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I love when she just goes "Holy poo poo!" after gibbing a ton of cultists or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People were asking what Duke Nukem would sound like in the modern day and this is pretty much it.

Also everytime the uzi lights somebody on fire it just feels good, you know?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I must stop using those SMG's at close range. I go through a doorway and WOAH poo poo RANDOM MOOK and then Shelly's feet are on fire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The consumable motion tracker is legitimately a really cool gameplay idea

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The loverboy shot-pistol-gun (double-barrel-pistol? IDK its crazy) is a pretty great first gun. Its got just enough punch to feel good (unlike Doom's pistol) but also isn't very powerful, and can get you hurt trying to land headshots.

The shotgun (/grenade launcher) and SMG both feel like a big upgrade from the loverboy as they should, but it doesn't feel completely obsolete (which is good since you'll still be using it a lot)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If you look carefully the city streets below look like computer chips and circuitry. Also, haha at obvious foreskin joke.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Absolutely loving this I but got a couple little graphical nitpicks. For one, the game heavily features two revolving weapons that don't actually revolve at all, especially noticeable on the Disperser. The other thing is that the enemy-on-fire sprite animation looks weird, like, I think there are times that they'll be standing on fire and a corpse on the ground at the same time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I mean, real life cities look like computer circuits at night.

But its definitely super cyberpunk aesthetic. In some scenes you can see clouds below you, really nailing the concept that you're in some massive hive city like Coruscant.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

wafflemoose posted:

If you look carefully the city streets below look like computer chips and circuitry. Also, haha at obvious foreskin joke.

There are some textures that look this way too. Inspired by some of Doom's "high-tech" patches for moonbase supercomputers which were really just altered photos of old motherboards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 4skins joke is crude and stupid, but given how offensive and stupid the actual team name is I love it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Shelly's character and one liners are great and the weapons i've gotten so far are all insane.

"Dance fucker, dance!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The preview campaign was really hard even on Wanton Destruction, but this so far has been pretty easy, I see what y'all were saying earlier.

But I think its just first episode, it's probably gonna get to the preview difficulty pretty soon. Unless they intentionally lowered it?

At first I thought this was a clever "reflection", but then I realized no, that's just the cloud layer and it just keeps going, there's more windows.
Very cyberpunk

Coffee huh? :350:
Having that next to the "winners don't use drugs" is pretty funny, and that itself is a nice 90s reference

That colored sector lighting though! :allears:

9 more?! WHERE?

This is like, the best powerup ever. Holy poo poo. loving 30 seconds of infinite homing holy hand grenades. gently caress. YES.
Also lmao thy flesh consumed, doomguy eat your heart out

The voxels just look fantastic

Pro tip: shoot trash bins, they give you armor shards pretty often

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

9 more?! WHERE?
This is why I have 5 hours played even though I'm only on the third map. I'm scouring every inch looking for anything that could lead to goodies.

Pizza time!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat the preview missions and episode 1. I would have played the former ages ago had I known it wasn't actually part of the main game. It was fun, but the actual, campaign is even funner, nicer looking, and better paced.. The last level of E1 is really cool with its vertical container city to explore. I'm also surprised that the game borrows a little from Half Life. Mostly in its contiguous, linked-together maps with only the quickest of transition and the fact that some of them have a few gimmicks you need to use to get through, e.g the fans.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I haven't had a chance to play yet but on a scale of 1 to Build Engine how dangerous are the doors

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I'm having to do a lot of save/loading to search for secrets; platforming on narrow ledges and walking on wires is hard when you slide a bit when coming to a stop. Remember that you can push objects around, and they can give you a bit of extra height to get up to ledges that are juuuust out of reach sometimes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Insert name here posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but on a scale of 1 to Build Engine how dangerous are the doors

I got bit by a closing door but didnt die so now Im refunding the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Geomancing posted:

walking on wires is hard

!! what !!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

There are some textures that look this way too. Inspired by some of Doom's "high-tech" patches for moonbase supercomputers which were really just altered photos of old motherboards.

I was going to mention also this was a really common stylization for distant future cityscapes in a lot of 2D video games and animated stuff in the 90s, particularly in 2D shooters like some Thunder Force games, Night Striker, etc. come to mind.

I love Ion Fury's palette so much.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 16, 2019

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Insert name here posted:

It's only happened to me once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
booted it up and was having some fps problems (im assuming because of the way the renderer is doing the huge maps) so i dropped my res and actually started getting more lag :thinking_face: so okay back up to native i guess. also the startup menu gives me native res, 720p, and the basic 4:3 options and thats its. tried manually editing the cfg to do a lower widescreen res so my monitor could scale correctly, but setting ScreenMode to -1 makes all items in the level turn invisible so thats not gonna work lol

love the level design and digging the aesthetic. still had 9 secrets missing on the first level and i felt like i was looking pretty hard! lol

i wish there a way to like, just drop a bowling bomb a short distance instead of having to roll it, pull out your gun and shoot it real quick. but the only time ive actually needed that was for a secret wall, so not a huge deal

i get that with headshots you just drop guys, but i wish there were some extended death animations

site fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 16, 2019