Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I adore the level design but I think all the head enemies are trash and the reason the pistol has its alt-fire. And by association they actually hinder the level design because they keep showing up in wide open areas that I want to have fun little firefights in, but a 3 pixel wide head is shooting tiny rockets at me from miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but on a scale of 1 to Build Engine how dangerous are the doors

2, I woulda given it a 1 but someone just said they died to one once. It feels like it's the 'fixed' build engine they used for Blood Fresh Supply, getting crushed by normal level geometry basically doesn't happen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Before I got to bed and forget, just wanna say that those mechapeds are a real dope enemy design, especially the way they split up if you don't destroy the head.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Insert name here posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but on a scale of 1 to Build Engine how dangerous are the doors

That this question needs to be asked places the game in the highest possible esteem.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I joined Dr. Jadus Heskel's cyber cult and all I got was my skull and brain removed and attached to these spiderbot legs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want a Shelly Goes Caribbean DLC

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Barudak posted:

Santa gets Shelly the wrong brand of whiskey so she goes to the North Pole so she can shove it up his rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I guess I just have to accept they're "Bowling bombs" but I do really hate you can't just lob a bomb over a short chest-high wall

You kinda can but you have to really full charge it and then look way up and kinda like jump throw it, pretty unreliable

Barudak posted:

Oh my yes

Put her on the cruise ship from 5th Element

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The shotguns alt fire is traditional arc lobbed grenades.

If Duke went to DC does that mean Shelly needs to go to Los Angeles for her third expansion?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I feel incredibly seen by this game

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I just lost 30 hp because of one! But first time it happens to me.

The revolver alt-fire is original (for a retro fps) and it's especially good against the small head-enemies. But still, it's kind of... OP? You can spam it easily, and it's equally good against human cultists too. I wish it had a 4 second cooldown, for example, to make me abuse it less.
Speaking of the head enemies... drat they are annoying. Even with the revolver's help, they are just too much in them in the maps. I wish they would have used a more fun to fight against regular non-human enemy.

Speaking of wishes, I wish the automap would should the colored doors (I mean, the ones that need a color keycard).

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Shoehead posted:

this is what you want, this is what you get

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was something it didn't feel right with the engine, the fps indicator showed 60 fps constant but sometimes it feels a bit sluggish? I think it's their vsync implementation. I ended disabling it and putting a fps cap of 120, and now the game feels better.

The game is easy in the second difficulty, I should have selected Ultra Viscera. Oh well, I will reserve that for the eventual second playthrough. For example, I think I found 10 usable medkits until now (I just reached the third episode), and only had to use one of them. I still have 9 with me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My only complaint at the moment goes to those stupid little bastard head-spider things. Tiny ground-based enemies like that have never worked well in any 2.5D FPS (Strife, Blood, Alien Trilogy... etc.), and they even suck in 3D FPS games (Doom 3, DUSK). Here, they remind me of this fuckin' guy, of all things.
The head-spiders are very easy to deal with painlessly once you figure out that they die to one hit from the taser baton.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Turin Turambar posted:

There was something it didn't feel right with the engine, the fps indicator showed 60 fps constant but sometimes it feels a bit sluggish? I think it's their vsync implementation. I ended disabling it and putting a fps cap of 120, and now the game feels better.

The game is easy in the second difficulty, I should have selected Ultra Viscera. Oh well, I will reserve that for the eventual second playthrough. For example, I think I found 10 usable medkits until now (I just reached the third episode), and only had to use one of them. I still have 9 with me.

The tech director mentioned grappling with frame pacing problems actually so it's not just you. It was supposed to be patched but some people aren't convinced

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I have to say the density of enemies on the highest difficulty level is quite satisfying and at least partially makes up for their lack of intelligence.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Kins posted:

The head-spiders are very easy to deal with painlessly once you figure out that they die to one hit from the taser baton.
True enough, but in the middle of a gunfight with a group of the more dangerous mooks (such as grenadiers) it's not advised to start doing that sort of thing to deal with head-spiders :colbert:

They're not dangerous themselves per se, it's just irritating when they invariably start getting in the way.

Gloomy Rube posted:

2, I woulda given it a 1 but someone just said they died to one once. It feels like it's the 'fixed' build engine they used for Blood Fresh Supply, getting crushed by normal level geometry basically doesn't happen.
Which would be quite something and some false advertising on 3D Realms' part, since Blood FS uses the KEX Engine (which explains why some gameplay elements there are a bit wonky; blame Atari for not releasing Blood's source code) :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Turin Turambar posted:

My issue is that if I turn vsync off I get pretty noticeable screen tearing. I have a freesync monitor but it doesn't seem to be doing much to help here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Try forcing vsync through nvidia/ati control pannel. It's amazing the amount of games that don't implement vsync right and forcing it from the drivers solve it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Blood FS uses some horrifying hybrid of BUILD, KEX and reverse-engineered DOS binaries.

Ion Fury uses eDuke32 with some minor tweaks to disable some Duke-centric bits.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Okay, its pretty good, but the arsenal just needs rocket launcher to be complete.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I ran around on the first map for 45 minutes and couldn't figure out how to get across the chasm, or up to the bridges to cross the chasm. Can someone explain it since I am an idiot?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Klaus88 posted:

Okay, its pretty good, but the arsenal just needs rocket launcher to be complete.

Clusterpuck is basically a rocket launcher, they explode on impact and you can whip them around pretty rapid fire.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

manero posted:

I ran around on the first map for 45 minutes and couldn't figure out how to get across the chasm, or up to the bridges to cross the chasm. Can someone explain it since I am an idiot?

You're not an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zq9X_tI8k&t=336s
Obviously there are spoilers in this video.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I never use the puck because in any instance where I need an explosion I have bombs and grenades already, why have a third weapon that does the same thing.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

This game is extremely good and i'm really glad there's no respawning enemies or anything silly on the highest difficulty. Just increased enemy density.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

REDjackeT posted:

You're not an idiot.

You can also straferun and jump across the gap from the lower level, but it's very difficult and the failure condition is instant death.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

REDjackeT posted:

You're not an idiot.

Ohhhhh yeah, I would have definitely not figured that one out!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

REDjackeT posted:

You're not an idiot.

would never have even thought of that lol

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
While watching that video "I would have never figured that out" was the dominate thought during that bit.

koren posted:

You can also straferun and jump across the gap from the lower level, but it's very difficult and the failure condition is instant death.

That jump looked way questionable to do that with. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to pull it off, but good to know its possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got my first results screen: 3 of 31 secrets found. I'm genuinely surprised I found that many.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

koren posted:

This is how I did it. In fact, my approach was the complete opposite to that video :stare:

Fake Edit:
Still dicking around on the third map (Fan Service) trying to uncover everything. These secrets are something else.

Fake Edit 2:

Overbite posted:

I never use the puck because in any instance where I need an explosion I have bombs and grenades already, why have a third weapon that does the same thing.
Because you can stick 'em to walls.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

REDjackeT posted:

While watching that video "I would have never figured that out" was the dominate thought during that bit.

That jump looked way questionable to do that with. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to pull it off, but good to know its possible.

You end up sort of clipping on the edge of it, which tipped me off to the fact it's probably not intentional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvYjUULl0U

Still probably less awkward than build engine platforming on invisible thin wires and railings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shoehead posted:

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I keep being blown away by how much the makers of this game absolutely know what the gently caress is up.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't want to talk about how long it took me to find all these, but I am enjoying the hunt.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I keep being blown away by how much the makers of this game absolutely know what the gently caress is up.

It's pretty great and i hope there's gonna be a big modding / mapping scene.

I downloaded Mapster32 from that link The Kins posted but it doesn't show the Ion Textures at all. Not sure whats up but im hype to start making some levels.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The way to the MDK\Blade Runner secret is so obscure. I knew it was there the whole time and that I'd have to get onto those AC units in the bazaar but I had no idea how to get up there.

I'm currently trying to figure out the piano. I found some tab somewhere in the level but now I need to hunt down the notes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Goddamn that's too secret!

Civvie had a hard time with the piano. Reminds me of Myst, my whole family is tone deaf and got stuck in the rocket ship until I did it for them.

It leads to a secret level apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Only the preview songs are on youtube, but the whole OST is on spotify

Pretty sure the first level song is track 7 "Access"