Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Plan Z posted:

I can also forgive tepid Dark Souls 1 reviews. I remember a lot of people bouncing off that game in the early days, and it's completely understandable. I did, but eventually came back to love the series. To people who only went off the hype and tried it out, it could be hard to find the critical path, the magic system was pretty impenetrable compared to what people could be used to, you didn't know if some of the stats were even useful or not, etc. And even if you went through the game without much problem, sections of the game were busted like that spot in I think Demon Ruins where there were 18 dinosaurs in a giant lava room that would all aggro instantly and destroy you. I think a lot of people forgot that they didn't complete their first Souls game without seeing guides or videos first.

Plus when the game first came out the early game was insanely brutal. They patched it to make it much more forgiving and reasonable a few months after it was released. I can totally understand people bouncing off it in that state. Though ironically as RPS I remember maybe around when Bloodborne dropped (?) they published an article about how FromSoftware should NEVER compromise by patching or otherwise altering their difficulty of their games post-release because that would destroy the artistic vision of their games flawlessly presented as is. That made me laugh because I thought RPS only really covered PC stuff in which case they only ever played the easiest version of the game. All that "Prepare to Die" marketing Namco stuck with really worked lol

Anyway I main popped in here to mention that I am so god drat excited to play Ion Fury. Plus if it has no hit-scan enemies? poo poo yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

There are some textures that look this way too. Inspired by some of Doom's "high-tech" patches for moonbase supercomputers which were really just altered photos of old motherboards.

I was going to mention also this was a really common stylization for distant future cityscapes in a lot of 2D video games and animated stuff in the 90s, particularly in 2D shooters like some Thunder Force games, Night Striker, etc. come to mind.

I love Ion Fury's palette so much.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 16, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I feel incredibly seen by this game

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I keep being blown away by how much the makers of this game absolutely know what the gently caress is up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The best fall damage will always be Deathtrap Dungeon because you could take fall damage while walking down stairs normally.

For real though the Metroid Prime games did it best. You take no fall damage ever but if you fall from certain high heights you're stuck in place for a second or so depending on how high. That'd be cool to see in a more action focused game since you have to think about if you want to drop four stories down or whatever to a certain spot for faster progress/whatever reasons but also know you'll be immobile for a solid second and a half if you do. I was glad that the platforming in Doom 2016 felt a lot like Metroid Prime's (even having the impact compensators active message or whatever).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

FYI, refunding a game won't take money out of the developers' pockets, just Steam's. Still, might as well put a request in if you don't intend to play the game.

This can't be true because if it was I would buy like all 30,000 games on Steam and then refund them all over and over again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

the VoidPoint twitter account started doubling down :yikes:

https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1162548006488424449?s=20

I loving hate people like this when they very clearly in bad faith are like IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE whatever bullshit about something that's plain as day. And to word it like that too, like going by what was kept lmao if whatever was cut out was some grand vindication.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Overbite posted:

I don't like throwing tnt around every corner and having to memorize where every cultist is

Fun fact: Play the game on easy, all of the other difficulties were designed with coop play in mind!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

wafflemoose posted:

Huh, the Ion Fury thread has quite a few new posts, let's see what they're about.......uh...ok then... :yikes:

This is why I don't give a poo poo about videogame politics/drama. Who cares if gamemakers are SJW hating nazis or whatever, I'll be over here chucking bowling bombs at cyborg cultists and having a good time in this finely crafted retro 90s throwback FPS.

I'm not really sure how to parse this. Like, your reason for not giving a poo poo about a thing is because other people on a message board give a poo poo about said thing?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

site posted:

Decided to pick a fight on twitter and now the transphobes are out in force. Enjoying my friday night

Do you use BlockTogether or one of the other blocklists on Twitter because I find it a waaaay more enjoyable site/app to use with that in effect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

site posted:

I use block chain and have a block list drat near 500k accounts large but i guess theres just no end to the amount of bigots on twitter

That sucks sorry. :/

wafflemoose posted:

I just think the politics and drama behind videogames are dumb, or maybe I'm just numb to it from all the negative press games tend to get, like how the AAA game industry keeps screwing up or some indie developers turn out to be really racist. It's getting old and I just want to play some videogames without somebody getting upset or butthurt because a game has microtransactions or a developer said something transphobic.

I have nothing against trans people, I just get sick and tired of all the politics.

Yeah I worded that post wrong. I don't care about the politics and drama, it's tiresome.

And yet, here we are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They, uh, they posted what they say is the "complete" picture of that conversation and it's the same image but with more cut out from it.

Like brain leakage isn't even inaccurate at this point it's going into weird performance art territory.

Also if you look at the uh, their official Discord account follows like all the gater channels and Sarkeesian Effect and stuff. I'm glad I found this out before I gave them money because drat, what a bunch of assholes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

xarph posted:

Why is everything about 3D Realms cursed?

Like Duke Nukem Forever Ion Fury was also a new game technically born out of the old Duke Nukem Forever since Bombshell first popped up in the Quake II version so I guess it really was destiny that something about it had to be awful.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

site posted:

i think theyre setting up some kinda harassment campaign ive gotten a huge influx of bigots in the last 5 minutes

I think the new way Twitter works contributes because it prominently shows people stuff folks they follow are talking about regularly and replying to recently and like a lot of Twitter changes it's like an exciting new conduit for ganging up on someone to easily spread around to other people who would gang up on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

site posted:

no like, ive already had people come in saying lol you blocked so-and-so you sjw bitch so obviously theyre talking to each other somewhere

e: sorry about the 2x post

That fuckin' sucks. :(