Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Reviews are coming out. RPS gave it to a 20 year old who spent the whole article complaining he got lost, Destructoid gave it an 8.0, IGN a 7.5

Even forgetting RPS review (lol he isn't able to open the automap), reading IGN review I have to wonder something:

Why reviewers masturbate so much about From Software games, writing big block of texts about the pleasure of getting good slowly and learning the patterns of bosses through grueling tries, about the dangers of the environment and how rewarding it's to overcome the odds, but when it's a hard game from a non-popular series, in another genre, the difficulty is suddenly again an issue??

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pro-tip: don't select the equivalent of ultra violence of a retro shooter then complain how hard it is.
Although the complaint of not being to change it mid campaign is valid.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Out of curiosity I checked reviews for Dark Souls.

Destructoid gave it 70 lol. (The remaster got 90)

Lol. A case of giving what it was an obscure, non-AAA game at the time a 70, and when it later was a popular, appreciated by other critics and hardcore audience a 90. Gotta fit in, gotta give the audience what it wants.

Mind you, I'm not a a stoopid gamer claiming how 'game journalists are the worst because they aren't objective'. Reviews are basically substantiated opinions and they can't be objective, that much is clear. But even looking at the same reviewer there is lack of... consistency of what's good and what's bad, depending of the genre, the expectations, etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dominic Tarson (the person who should have reviewed it on RPS, but he was let go a few weeks ago) liked it a lot:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1161640842039353345
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1161655958403260416

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Launch trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncC9jrCqgG8

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My quick first impressions.

The best part of the game is the level design. It's colorful, super detailed, both in the 'macro' and 'micro' sense, and it's in the Goldilocks area of complexity. Complex enough to be interesting, not huge or complex enough to be a pain in the rear end to traverse or explore, with just the right amount of secondary routes. And they are full of secrets. They are a joy to play.

That said... I'm not too hot on the combat by itself. First, the sound. I'm finding the two main weapons (revolver, shotgun) to be weak and without a noteworthy sound effect. It doesn't sound as good feedback for the weapons they represent. In general all the sounds are a bit too old school, they sound a bit muddled.
Second, the combat itself. The AI sucks. And I don't mean 'they aren't a crack elite squad that coordinates superb between them and flush me like an expert', I mean in the sense of enemies mostly staying on the spawn position and shooting, or move very slowly. In a few occasions they were like trying to move against a corner so add also possible AI pathfinding issues.
You may argue "they don't have to be SMART, they have to be fun to fight! Demons in Doom weren't exactly smart" (insert smug emoji here). But in old school games like Doom combat is fun thanks to most enemies projectiles being avoidable and variety of enemies (enemies that spawn other enemies, that resurrect allies, that charge at you in a straight line, etc) that allows for a variety of combat encounters. Here most enemies are hitscan enemies, beyond a pair of 'small annoying' enemies, without any special ability or pattern of attack, and in fact a slower and more careful pace is promoted thanks to the hit location damage (aim for the heads).
Oh, one more flaw of the combat: there are not pain animations. Tsk tsk.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

So according to Steam Charts there are currently 1,285 playing this game, vs DUSK's peak of 557 and Amid Evil's 335. Fwiw, I think New Blood considers both of those games financial successes, but it does lead me to believe that conventional games press still matters a lot because when I compare the number of day-one/early reviews, IF's got way more pickup. For comparison's sake, DUSK--the oldest--lists 19 professional reviews, Ion Fury already has 15, Amid Evil, 9. On top of that, I'd guess that the largest publications that scored DUSK were Destructoid, PCGamer, GameInformer, and RPS. Amid Evil didn't get a GI review, or even an RPS one. Meanwhile, Ion Maiden got writeups and videos by all of them and is the only one of the three that IGN and Eurogamer rated at all.

Yep, marketing still matters. A lot.

In this case I think the 'gimmick' of using the Build engine in 2019 (and looking purty enough!) helped the game in getting press coverage.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but on a scale of 1 to Build Engine how dangerous are the doors

I just lost 30 hp because of one! But first time it happens to me.

The revolver alt-fire is original (for a retro fps) and it's especially good against the small head-enemies. But still, it's kind of... OP? You can spam it easily, and it's equally good against human cultists too. I wish it had a 4 second cooldown, for example, to make me abuse it less.
Speaking of the head enemies... drat they are annoying. Even with the revolver's help, they are just too much in them in the maps. I wish they would have used a more fun to fight against regular non-human enemy.

Speaking of wishes, I wish the automap would should the colored doors (I mean, the ones that need a color keycard).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was something it didn't feel right with the engine, the fps indicator showed 60 fps constant but sometimes it feels a bit sluggish? I think it's their vsync implementation. I ended disabling it and putting a fps cap of 120, and now the game feels better.

The game is easy in the second difficulty, I should have selected Ultra Viscera. Oh well, I will reserve that for the eventual second playthrough. For example, I think I found 10 usable medkits until now (I just reached the third episode), and only had to use one of them. I still have 9 with me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I guess this is worthless to say because everyone will automatically agree with me but... the fall damage is too high. It could be perfectly half of the current amount.

Also, around third level of third episode the game get serious, now it isn't that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The timed armor shards that appears when you gib someone is a very small but very nifty touch.

edit: dopefish sighted. and LOL at the references at the elevator exit after the second boss. Peel your eyes.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 16, 2019