Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Game journalists generally suck at games. I assure you most of them bounced off dark souls and didn't get into it until it was massively popular, and then they pretended to always like it.

Some people spend more time writing about games than playing games, and that creates weird attitudes. See star citizen lol.

I always get the same feeling about Silent Hill 2 where half the people who praise it are superfans who believe it's perfect and can never be criticized for anything, and the other half are people who never played it but just want to be in on the hype as you can see them bang on and on about it but never seem to be able to recall any specifics of the game.

I can also forgive tepid Dark Souls 1 reviews. I remember a lot of people bouncing off that game in the early days, and it's completely understandable. I did, but eventually came back to love the series. To people who only went off the hype and tried it out, it could be hard to find the critical path, the magic system was pretty impenetrable compared to what people could be used to, you didn't know if some of the stats were even useful or not, etc. And even if you went through the game without much problem, sections of the game were busted like that spot in I think Demon Ruins where there were 18 dinosaurs in a giant lava room that would all aggro instantly and destroy you. I think a lot of people forgot that they didn't complete their first Souls game without seeing guides or videos first.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU