Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This has a lot of potential. The sheer number of interact-able sprite objects and the length of the campaign (supposed to be ~9+ hours) makes it sound like its gonna be a blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

Reviews are coming out. RPS gave it to a 20 year old who spent the whole article complaining he got lost, Destructoid gave it an 8.0, IGN a 7.5

Remember when RPS was good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Why reviewers masturbate so much about From Software games, writing big block of texts about the pleasure of getting good slowly and learning the patterns of bosses through grueling, about the dangers of the environment and how rewarding it's to overcome the odds, but when it's a hard game from a non-popular series, in another genre, the difficulty is suddenly again an issue??

Game journalists generally suck at games. I assure you most of them bounced off dark souls and didn't get into it until it was massively popular, and then they pretended to always like it.

Some people spend more time writing about games than playing games, and that creates weird attitudes. See star citizen lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh wow, I googled RPS Ion Maiden and read Walker's impression, and I was like, this isn't bad?

But I was confused, Walker isn't that young...

OH. ohhhh.

Goddamn that article is a train wreck. "Polygon plays doom" all over again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LGR's review is non stop praise and I trust him way more on classic games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Dark Souls is 89 on metacritic. So was Demon Souls

...and? That changes nothing about what I said.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So game reviewers have the power of time travel to replace their bad reviews with glowing ones?

That value is an average and in now way tells us who reviewed it when.

Its pretty likely only a few sites reviewed demon souls, then a few more did after it became popular.

Also, because "IGN" reviewed dark souls, that doesn't mean they actually beat it, and even then, would only mean a single member of staff did and says nothing to all the other reviewers.

Should we keep going?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Overbite posted:

Lots of reviews and videos saying the Ultra Viscera difficulty is really hard and I wonder if they changed it from the early access because thats what I played it on and it wasn't that bad.

Some people complained you can't change difficulty, which makes it sound like they actually got decently far in before they started to sweat. It makes sense if the bit available to play is the beginning, that's relatively the easiest part of the game.

I just went ahead and pre-ordered since this is basically out tonight, and I'm playing the early access bit now on UV and its giving me some trouble here and there. I'm not super good at Duke or anything though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:haw:

This works on like two levels, as there's the joke itself but its also a bit of duke nukem reference

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I should have worked from home. I've got a pre-demo at work today and came in for that, only to find out that half of my team is WFH anyways. :(

My team always WFH on thursday :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thank goodness Wanton Carnage is easy because Ive found and will find approximately 0 secrets I can already tell.

After playing Going Down in Doom, I'm finding zero secrets here and its real stressful. I want to find all the cool secrets! Cyriak was better about making them fairly intuitive to find.

And from what I've heard, the secrets only give you a little bit, so making them impossible to find is kinda weird.

My hope (and probably their design) is that there's just so many secrets that I bumble into at least a few of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The soundtrack is really good, but I'm gonna have to put on some Carpenter Brut

Some nice little touches that weren't in the preview episode, like this weapon selection preview wheel on the right

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaspy Conana posted:

throwing out bangin' tracker music in favor of the dead horsiest microgenre? this is an extremely poor decision.

:doh: I was wrong anyways its a Perturbator song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kg80jAtI8 I was just making a joke about the bar name being a reference to the Terminator bar which Peturbator also referenced.

Hey man there may be a lot of something but that doesn't mean the good stuff isn't good.

The tracker music is good but I already said that, chill :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The loverboy shot-pistol-gun (double-barrel-pistol? IDK its crazy) is a pretty great first gun. Its got just enough punch to feel good (unlike Doom's pistol) but also isn't very powerful, and can get you hurt trying to land headshots.

The shotgun (/grenade launcher) and SMG both feel like a big upgrade from the loverboy as they should, but it doesn't feel completely obsolete (which is good since you'll still be using it a lot)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I mean, real life cities look like computer circuits at night.

But its definitely super cyberpunk aesthetic. In some scenes you can see clouds below you, really nailing the concept that you're in some massive hive city like Coruscant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The preview campaign was really hard even on Wanton Destruction, but this so far has been pretty easy, I see what y'all were saying earlier.

But I think its just first episode, it's probably gonna get to the preview difficulty pretty soon. Unless they intentionally lowered it?

At first I thought this was a clever "reflection", but then I realized no, that's just the cloud layer and it just keeps going, there's more windows.
Very cyberpunk

Coffee huh? :350:
Having that next to the "winners don't use drugs" is pretty funny, and that itself is a nice 90s reference

That colored sector lighting though! :allears:

9 more?! WHERE?

This is like, the best powerup ever. Holy poo poo. loving 30 seconds of infinite homing holy hand grenades. gently caress. YES.
Also lmao thy flesh consumed, doomguy eat your heart out

The voxels just look fantastic

Pro tip: shoot trash bins, they give you armor shards pretty often

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Geomancing posted:

walking on wires is hard

!! what !!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I guess I just have to accept they're "Bowling bombs" but I do really hate you can't just lob a bomb over a short chest-high wall

You kinda can but you have to really full charge it and then look way up and kinda like jump throw it, pretty unreliable

Barudak posted:

I want a Shelly Goes Caribbean DLC

Oh my yes

Put her on the cruise ship from 5th Element

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Goddamn that's too secret!

Civvie had a hard time with the piano. Reminds me of Myst, my whole family is tone deaf and got stuck in the rocket ship until I did it for them.

It leads to a secret level apparently.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Only the preview songs are on youtube, but the whole OST is on spotify

Pretty sure the first level song is track 7 "Access"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

To this day I've never seen where the rocket ship takes you. All I know is that it's on rails from seeing the making of feature. And it's for this exact reason.

Its my least favorite age, the rocket rails rollercoaster was a cool idea but I didn't really like the puzzle there. So you didn't miss much!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Two Owls posted:

Copy fury.grp file, rename it as a zip, open it,and get XMPlay.

Ooh, excellent. I figured there was a way to get the tracker files but wasn't sure how baked into game files they were.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

skasion posted:

There’s no real need for this game to have fall damage imo. I get that the other Build games have it, but it’s not like that was what everyone loved about them.

I was thinking the same. The game almost seems to want you to make action hero leaps, but then punishes you. No need.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I have really bad news for you about how you do the piano, because it's matching tones.

The secrets in this game are fuckin nuts. I wouldn't even have thought about trying to do the piano or have understood the clues if Civvie hadn't had talked about it.

That's not bad news for me because I said I was the only person in my family who COULD solve that problem. I play a half-dozen instruments. Its everybody else that's tone deaf, not me.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Despite all of your rage you are still but a rat in a cage!

We're taking over this town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la1WfEr60yg

Id is in Dallas, there's no way that isn't a Pantera reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roluth posted:

AAAAAaaand that's interest killed in Ion Fury for me. Ugh, how do these people keep popping up?

You can't let the CHUDs win. You have to play the game to spite them!

E: Oh those are the devs? That's the context I was missing. Ugh.