Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

What is Ion Fury?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnhRz_GP3c

Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden because spurious lawsuits are totally metal guys) is a throwback 90’s style FPS just like DUSK and AMID EVIL but unlike both of those games which were inspired by ID Software games like Doom, Quake, and Heretic, Ion Fury is a Build Engine throwback that’s even made in Build, the first in twenty years, with 3D Realms even publishing. The game stars Shelly “Bombshell” Harris, who you probably don’t remember from that one mediocre game with her name on it a few years back, who has to wage a one-woman war against Dr. Heskel, a mad scientist, who has launched an attack on Neo Washington DC with his army of cyborg cultists. The game has been in EA for a year or so and it will be fully released on PC on August 15.

So how is it?

When it comes to DUSK, AMID EVIL, and Ion Fury if Ion Fury maintains the quality of the EA content in its full release it will be probably be my favorite of the three, and DUSK and AMID EVIL were both varying degrees of fantastic. The gunplay feels great with a varied arsenal of weapons that are all useful, even your basic melee weapon, the stun baton, is actually quite powerful. The level design is also top notch with multiples avenues to go through levels with none of the obtuseness that sometimes plagued Build Engine games and with bunches of secrets hidden away. The enemy variety is nice and unlike its Build Engine predecessors Ion Fury has zero hit scanners so far. The game just looks really nice too. It’s telling to me that I had just planned to play through the EA content once when I bought the game like a month ago and just wait for the full release but it just kept pulling me back in until I beat the first campaign and bonus level on Hard and Very Hard, which I don’t do very often. The difficulty is done real well really. Keep an eye on this game if you haven't already, because its shaping up to be fantastic and here's hoping it delivers.

Useful Links

Main Site
Steam Page
GOG Page

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Some game journos don't seem to get games that are outside of the traditional modern AAA game bubble too.

Have LGR's review

Also Game Informer gave it a 9 and Eurogamer recommended it for a few more reviews.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Ultra Viscera in Ion Fury isn’t even that bad? Maybe it’s just ‘cause I’ve played the demo a thousand times but it really isn’t anything like the old Build engine game equivalents
Yeah, unless they really changed it up, the higher difficulties really aren't bad at all and I liked playing through them, and I'm the kind of person who doesn't play or like games for challenge at all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Victory Position posted:

this is completely unexpected and woah, really? there are no hitscan enemies whatsoever?

either way, I'm picking this up immediately
In the EA content at least, but I doubt that will change for the full game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNk-W3nHJZI&t=1s

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Barudak posted:

I just realized whats happening when I use the Loverboy's secondary. It turns you into the bullshit Build engine hitscanner.

Not so fun is it now, assholes???
Insert McCree meme here.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My only complaint at the moment goes to those stupid little bastard head-spider things. Tiny ground-based enemies like that have never worked well in any 2.5D FPS (Strife, Blood, Alien Trilogy... etc.), and they even suck in 3D FPS games (Doom 3, DUSK). Here, they remind me of this fuckin' guy, of all things.

But that's a minor gripe. Game good, buy now.
The revolver's alt-fire makes quick work of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I didn't actually use Loverboy's alt-fire much at all when I played the EA stuff, but I've been definitely using the hell out of it now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

game of the month y'all
Well gently caress.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man and I thought Wolfenstein Youngblood would be my biggest disappointment of the year.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

dig up, stupid
What, dig deeper?

Okay.

*Goons proceed to piss in well*

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

everyone buy dusk
Don't forget Amid Evil too, you can even buy both of them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Spacedad posted:

Dusk and Amid Evil are good games you should buy and play.

This is the Dusk & Amid Evil thread and always was.
Palpek should just make Amid Evil game of the month for the second month running, it deserves it.