Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Reviews are coming out. RPS gave it to a 20 year old who spent the whole article complaining he got lost, Destructoid gave it an 8.0, IGN a 7.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A 9.0 from Game Revolution too.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 14, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I should have worked from home. I've got a pre-demo at work today and came in for that, only to find out that half of my team is WFH anyways. :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hell yeah, this game'll be getting workshop support in a couple of days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So according to Steam Charts there are currently 1,285 playing this game, vs DUSK's peak of 557 and Amid Evil's 335. Fwiw, I think New Blood considers both of those games financial successes, but it does lead me to believe that conventional games press still matters a lot because when I compare the number of day-one/early reviews, IF's got way more pickup. For comparison's sake, DUSK--the oldest--lists 19 professional reviews, Ion Fury already has 15, Amid Evil, 9. On top of that, I'd guess that the largest publications that scored DUSK were Destructoid, PCGamer, GameInformer, and RPS. Amid Evil didn't get a GI review, or even an RPS one. Meanwhile, Ion Maiden got writeups and videos by all of them and is the only one of the three that IGN and Eurogamer rated at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah the weapons all seem rock-solid and beautifully animated, but of the "main" Build games (Duke, Blood, and Shadow Warrior...hell, maybe even Redneck Rampage) this game seems to play it safest with its variety. I kind of miss anything like Duke's shrink ray/microwave gun, or Blood's Voodoo doll, napalm cannon, and hairspray, or Shadow Warrior's ripper heart and nuke--although if I'm being honest, I miss chopping poo poo up with a metal sword and pitching gas grenades too.

I have to agree with other commenters that you've got a sci-fi setting and no legit sci-fi lasers or plasma cannons or whatever (I guess the crossbow is kind of a laser gun).
Yeah, I never played bombshell for obvious reasons, but I checked out the wiki for it and it sounds like it has quite a few esoteric energies, so it's weird to me that they didn't either adapt any of them to first-person or come up with their own. Hoping weapon mods take off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MMF Freeway posted:

I wonder if it was the lawsuit that drew in mainstream outlets, because otherwise I don't really see why they'd set their sights on this over the other two. Maybe the Duke influence just has more appeal than Quake/Hexen?
I think it's more the fact that 1C's a fairly big publisher and just sent out a bunch of copies to the major outlets. NB seems more focused on trying to build groundroots support for their games through its Discord, tongue-in-cheek tweeting, memes, giveaways, and streamer collaboration.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Absolutely loving this I but got a couple little graphical nitpicks. For one, the game heavily features two revolving weapons that don't actually revolve at all, especially noticeable on the Disperser. The other thing is that the enemy-on-fire sprite animation looks weird, like, I think there are times that they'll be standing on fire and a corpse on the ground at the same time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat the preview missions and episode 1. I would have played the former ages ago had I known it wasn't actually part of the main game. It was fun, but the actual, campaign is even funner, nicer looking, and better paced.. The last level of E1 is really cool with its vertical container city to explore. I'm also surprised that the game borrows a little from Half Life. Mostly in its contiguous, linked-together maps with only the quickest of transition and the fact that some of them have a few gimmicks you need to use to get through, e.g the fans.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Before I got to bed and forget, just wanna say that those mechapeds are a real dope enemy design, especially the way they split up if you don't destroy the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
These robocultists lack Blood's regular cultists' accuracy and agression, so that's good enough for me!