Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I fuckin' love this game already and I'm only two areas in, hunting for all the secrets. The weapons feel super-satisfying, the movement is incredibly slick for such an old engine (the only way I can tell that this really is still using BUILD is the bizarre micro-shuffle to the left as you come to a stop after travelling straight forward/backward), enemies don't have hitscans/are taking the right amount of punishment before dropping (headshots are also excellent), and the levels... hoo boy, this is gonna be a hell of a ride. Actually having to jump around and look for clues to find all the secrets is some good poo poo too, with worthwhile rewards. They're just hidden enough to make you appreciate the design without turning into frustratingly obscure pixel-hunts or bullshit Wolf3D-style wallhumping adventures.

My only complaint at the moment goes to those stupid little bastard head-spider things. Tiny ground-based enemies like that have never worked well in any 2.5D FPS (Strife, Blood, Alien Trilogy... etc.), and they even suck in 3D FPS games (Doom 3, DUSK). Here, they remind me of this fuckin' guy, of all things.

But that's a minor gripe. Game good, buy now.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The sound that the grenades make when they bounce.
Oh, memories :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

The revolver's alt-fire makes quick work of them.

My 20+ years of running around with a shotgun* as my go-to weapon for the vast majority of any FPS is getting in the way of remembering that. In fact, I'm having a rough time remembering that there is even alt-fire, which is baffling given that I've been playing Blood recently.

*Not Quake's shotgun, that was poo poo.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I adore Shelly's constant shittalking.
It grew on me real fast. "Talk poo poo, get shot!" made me laugh more than it should have.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 16, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The self-awareness on the quips and one-liners is what makes them work. It's that perfect 80's/90's style where you know/expect it and laugh along. Shelly's poo poo-talking is somewhere between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Campbell. I love it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I must stop using those SMG's at close range. I go through a doorway and WOAH poo poo RANDOM MOOK and then Shelly's feet are on fire.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

wafflemoose posted:

If you look carefully the city streets below look like computer chips and circuitry. Also, haha at obvious foreskin joke.

There are some textures that look this way too. Inspired by some of Doom's "high-tech" patches for moonbase supercomputers which were really just altered photos of old motherboards.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

9 more?! WHERE?
This is why I have 5 hours played even though I'm only on the third map. I'm scouring every inch looking for anything that could lead to goodies.

Pizza time!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Kins posted:

The head-spiders are very easy to deal with painlessly once you figure out that they die to one hit from the taser baton.
True enough, but in the middle of a gunfight with a group of the more dangerous mooks (such as grenadiers) it's not advised to start doing that sort of thing to deal with head-spiders :colbert:

They're not dangerous themselves per se, it's just irritating when they invariably start getting in the way.

Gloomy Rube posted:

2, I woulda given it a 1 but someone just said they died to one once. It feels like it's the 'fixed' build engine they used for Blood Fresh Supply, getting crushed by normal level geometry basically doesn't happen.
Which would be quite something and some false advertising on 3D Realms' part, since Blood FS uses the KEX Engine (which explains why some gameplay elements there are a bit wonky; blame Atari for not releasing Blood's source code) :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

koren posted:

You can also straferun and jump across the gap from the lower level, but it's very difficult and the failure condition is instant death.

This is how I did it. In fact, my approach was the complete opposite to that video :stare:

Fake Edit:
Still dicking around on the third map (Fan Service) trying to uncover everything. These secrets are something else.

Fake Edit 2:

Overbite posted:

I never use the puck because in any instance where I need an explosion I have bombs and grenades already, why have a third weapon that does the same thing.
Because you can stick 'em to walls.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't want to talk about how long it took me to find all these, but I am enjoying the hunt.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are there or are there not hitscan enemies? Civvie says there are, but earlier reports said there weren't, so... :iiam:

Just super-fast projectiles, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

the fall damage is too high. It could be perfectly half of the current amount.
It's nothing compared to Strife.