Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

(image by Waffleman)

At 10am on September 25th, 1890, three thousand eight hundred and fifty two riders line up on a San Diego beach. Their destination is New York City. This is the story of how Johnny Joestar learned to walk.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 7 - Steel Ball Run was written and drawn by Hirohiko Araki from 2004 to 2011 and is widely considered by the western JoJo fanbase as one of the greatest things he's ever done. Part 7 brings with it a lot of changes, as not only was it here that JoJo switched from being a weekly series running in Weekly Shonen Jump, but it also marked a fresh start in the long running series. Similar to many reboots of Western comics, Part 7 is a "new universe" of sorts. Many things will seem extremely familiar while others will be entirely new. The switch from weekly to monthly also allowed Araki to really plan out his narrative, Part 7 is much more of a seinen than a shounen, with more complicated and mature storytelling and a bit of an ensemble cast. It's still wonderfully bizarre and fun, but it takes itself much more seriously and has, in my opinion, some of the best character arcs and thematic moments in all of manga. To say more about the nature of what Part 7 is about and the characters involved would be to give away a lot of the fun, so I'll just say I like it a lot!

Why do this now?
Okay honestly, a frequent conversation when the JoJo manga thread has run out of talking points is how good Part 7 is and a lot of us wanted to read it again. But also with the Part 5 anime over, and Part 6 being but a distant dream, we didn't want the fun to stop. So whether you left Part 5 feeling satisfied and excited or were a bit let down, or just want more JoJo, this is for you! Part 7 stands alone in that nothing that happens here will spoil you for Part 6 or any other PartAlso, the possibility of a Part 7 anime feels a bit uncertain, and if it does, will be in like 2023 and that's too long! It's possible that perhaps you're a bit burnt out on JoJo with Part 5 having so recently wrapped, but I honestly think Part 7 is refreshing enough to feel almost like it's own thing. So I invite you to come and experience what is, probably, the best JoJo there is!

Also! If you've never read JoJo's Bizarre Adventure before! Well, you'd kinda be starting the show with a showstopper, and I recommend you check out all of JoJo starting at the beginning, but there's nothing wrong with starting here outside of missing a couple winks and nods. If you had to read one JoJo part, you picked a good one.

Where To Read?
Part 7 has sadly yet to be released in English, so you'll have to be a bit resourceful. There are both original black and white scans or the official color scans for your enjoyment. I personally prefer the color scans cause I'm an idiot

Spoiler Policy
This thread is for manga and anime people alike, so this does mean that discussion related to anything outside of whatever happened on that week is strongly dis-encouraged. If you simply must talk about something in the future, please use spoiler tags and denote what their for, or take it to the manga thread please and thank you

Schedule
This may not end up being a hard and fast schedule, but I'd like to stick to it as best as we can, just to make discussion easier to follow. The pacing on this will be a bit weird, as the transition to a monthly schedule happens mid run so suddenly the volumes get a lot shorter and the chapters get a lot longer. This thread is going up a bit early to build :siren: hype :siren: and so the dates given are when to start reading the following chapters and what we'll discuss that week.

(if people really wanna start right now let me know, I'll change the dates, I just worry some might be burnt out on JoJo)

Week 1 - Monday, August 12th
Volume 1 - 3
Chapter 1 - 17

Week 2 - Monday, August 19th
Volume 4 - 6
Chapter 18 - 30

Week 3 - Monday, August 26th
Volume 7 - 9
Chapter 31 - 39

Week 4 - Monday, September 2nd
Volume 10 - 12
Chapter 40 - 48

Week 5 - Monday, September 9th
Volume 13 - 15
Chapter 49 - 59

Week 6 - Monday, September 16th
Volume 16 - 18
Chapter 60 - 72

Week 7 - Monday, September 23rd
Volume 19 - 21
Chapter 73 - 84

Week 8 - Monday, September 30th
Volume 22 - 24
Chapter 85 - 95

The Global Steel Ball Read has finally begun...

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hello

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nyo ho~

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 7, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just read SBR for the first time like a month ago but gently caress it I’ll do it again

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I actually shotgunned the whole arc last week, but I'll gladly join in for the discussion about the misadventures of two cowboys and the secrets of the balls while making sure to avoid spoiling anyone while doing it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i literally just finished part 6 for the first time and i need an adult to help me process it!!

so gently caress yeah lets do 7

o7

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh boy I've been waiting for this! This is gonna be good!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m down. Never read a jojo manga before so why not

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Everyone in the Jojo threads say that Steel Ball Run is good so I'm down.

Unnecessary rambling:

Reading a manga as, like, a community experience is making me fiercely nostalgic for LiveJournal circa 2004 when it was my primary social hub, and also full of weebs. I think with SBR just starting there was a push to get people reading jojo's and it was an even harder sell back then because there was, like no legal English content available and it was all torrents, or same day scans from China with bad translations. The slow collapse of LJ, incidentally, is also when I stopped keeping track of One Piece, which I keep meaning to get back to. So I guess I'm here to feel sixteen again? Anyway that's my weird personal story, carry on.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always forget how long it took for Araki to get Steel Ball Run finished. Already read through this twice within the last few years, but a third time sure can't hurt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i super highly recommend the color scans since they're well done and the color palettes picked are nice, for the record

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does it do the anime thing where the palette shifts for no reason but it still looks amazing?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the palette shifts are mostly an anime-only thing since color scans of the manga tend to be consistent, but the colorists like to use some nice shades in any case

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar posted:

i super highly recommend the color scans since they're well done and the color palettes picked are nice, for the record
the color scans do look weird at the start, but it's moreso that Araki's artstyle just gets so much clearer and defined when he switched over to monthly.

YggiDee posted:

Everyone in the Jojo threads say that Steel Ball Run is good so I'm down.

Unnecessary rambling:

Reading a manga as, like, a community experience is making me fiercely nostalgic for LiveJournal circa 2004 when it was my primary social hub, and also full of weebs. I think with SBR just starting there was a push to get people reading jojo's and it was an even harder sell back then because there was, like no legal English content available and it was all torrents, or same day scans from China with bad translations. The slow collapse of LJ, incidentally, is also when I stopped keeping track of One Piece, which I keep meaning to get back to. So I guess I'm here to feel sixteen again? Anyway that's my weird personal story, carry on.
this made me really happy! i hope you enjoy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I’m down. Never read a jojo manga before so why not
hell yes

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hell yes this is going to be awesome.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I need to re-read this and Stone Ocean, so this thread comes at an opportune time. :toot:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I've been waiting for this! I'm excited to revisit SBR!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
ty for doing this effort you beautiful bastard

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
SBR is potent enough to brain wipe my memories of the P5 ending again

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I know lots of bits and pieces about SBR, but never sat down to properly read it from start to finish before. Real excited to start now!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Hell yes, super down for this thread. Glad it finally got made

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best JJBA with the best setting and the best Jojo. I'm very excited for this one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hell yeah the best poo poo.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Can't believe I'm going back into the true man's world.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The colour scans are good because they remind you that all the men in this series wear lipstick.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lord, I need a new avatar for this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The colour scans are good because they remind you that all the men in this series wear lipstick.

it's an essential detail

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno if I'll keep up because I just read this for the first time last year but whatever

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Ooooh boy, this is gonna be fun. SBR is, pound for pound, the best JoJo and I am here for it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

cool thread, maybe gonna do this

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im glad this is three volumes a week, a lot of simulwatches and simulreads feel like they go at a snails pace

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Well, this is about a race, after all. :v:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Been busy so I couldn't say much but :toot:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i'm definitely glad of the pace. a week is plenty of time for people to get a chunk done and talk about what they want to talk about. if it was slower i'd be frustrated but any quicker and it might end up too frenetic for some.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, three volumes a week is a good pace, and Steel Ball Run is engrossing enough that, if this is your first time, you're even gonna be tempted to read on. Like, the pacing of SBR is phenomenal.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah I just zoomed through the first 3 volumes tonight, it's a good amount :toot:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think I binged all of SBR in like three days the first time
It’s so drat good

Only discussing three volumes is gonna be hard

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

From a non-regular manga reading perspective, 3 volumes a week seems really intimidating.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I’m down to reread this. Nyo-ho~!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tir McDohl posted:

From a non-regular manga reading perspective, 3 volumes a week seems really intimidating.

The first week is 17 chapters, which is less than 3 per day on average. You can knock that out all at once in an couple of hours easy. Steel Ball Run also has my absolute favorite color scans of all the parts I've read, and help make it so much more digestible.