Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Good avatar material

sirtommygunn posted:

What is this stand going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my posts, what's it going to do to me?

Good avatar text material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Crusader posted:

I haven’t gone back to check but there was definitely at least one early interlude missing from the color version

Yeah, it's a shame it's missing because I thought the Johnny backstory added another layer to why he has such an irrational hatred to Diego, or how Stephen's backstory being told early on shows how Lucy's act of kindness helped him when he was at his lowest point.

YggiDee posted:

Lucy Steel - I hate everything that happens to her (child bride, various forms of sexual menace, weird magic pregnancy) but I adore everything she does (learning lip reading to spy on folks, stabbing Valentine in the loving throat, carrying around a severed head for the express purpose of loving disintegrating Diego. Also I liked Diego. I was rooting for him (Dino Diego, not The World Diego), even though he was a shithead. Also Hot Pants was cool.

Yeah, Lucy rules so much. I like her way more than Hayato as the "normal person gets involved in Stands and stuff" character because she gets involved in the plot really early and shows a lot of agency.

Also Araki deliberately having us question what the hell is up with Stephen and Lucy from the start and then turning that around with their backstories is some neat storytelling. The marriage being just a huge sham that Stephen and Lucy's father came up with as the only way to save her from the mob was a relief to find out.

The part where Lucy offers to be "a wife" to Stephen for a day, only for him to completely shoot her down and explain she has her whole life ahead of her once he's gone cemented him as a good person. I really loved Lucy's small laugh of relief because while she fully trusted Stephen being a good guy, she needed that extra reassurance. :3: Plus this moment really stuck to me later on Johnny asked Valentine for that extra 1% of trust.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Tusk is also great because it's inherently cute and endearing, so everyone enjoys seeing it when it appears. :3:

I think the thing that gets me most about the talk Johnny and Valentine have is that Johnny literally saw the President unload his gun into Gyro, then Valentine comes back like "wait wait wait, truce?? Truce????? I'll bring Gyro back, I never WANTED him to die, truce????" We all know that Valentine is lying but Johnny has SO MUCH of an advantage that Valentine's only real option for survival is to talk him down, but he still comes this close to stopping the spin and letting him go. Both because he wants Gyro back and how hard it is for him to believe that he's not the bad guy here. People talk about the moral grayness of the characters here, and Johnny's fully capable of discarding his humanity...but he doesn't. Gyro was the one to pull him back every time. We know that Valentine has been a slimy little bastard from the very beginning and Johnny's totally justified in stopping him. Remember that when Love Train first shows what it can do, two local farmers bear the brunt of it, not people halfway around the world, and Valentine's completely fine with that. Knowing Valentine's true intentions is where the tension from the scene comes from; it's another test for Johnny, to see what he's learned and if he can get over that last hurdle. We believe in Johnny already, but can Johnny believe in himself?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meme Emulator posted:

Also that chapter went to the extreme with the little symbols in the speech bubbles, which was making me laugh even though it was supposed to be a tense and emotional moment.

"Shoot me with another bullet spinning in the opposite direction (+)"
"The spins will cancel each other out (+ / -)"
"And it should stop the infinite rotation (SToP)"
"I promise (A golden placard that says 'promise')"

"My country (American flag in case you forgot what country this takes place in)"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

no ring

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Even though I read this before and knew it was coming The World reveal still had me grinning.

Also I like that Lucy bringing Dio's head to kill Dio is kinda like the end of Part 1 where Wang Chun brought Dio's head to kill Johnathan.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope Norisuke spends his money wisely.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

its hosed up that gyro had to die in new jersey of all places

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Funky Valentine posted:

I hope Norisuke spends his money wisely.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
In the end, Gyro fulfilled the Zeppeli legacy: Dying so a Joestar can kill the bad guy.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

In the end, Gyro fulfilled the Zeppeli legacy: Dying so a Joestar can kill the bad guy.

i was really hoping this time would be different :(

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wAq8QetOUQ Watch every single one of disco ballad's videos but especially this one that just got uploaded.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holy poo poo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Disco ballad continues the venerable tradition of Japanese Jojo fans making awesome videos.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I fully intended to keep up my "one volume a day" schedule for this final week, but then I accidentally blasted through all three volumes because they kind of own. Whoops.

I don't know if it's just because I'm not a native English speaker or not, but the translation feels a little harder to follow at times than I remembered from my first readthrough? :ohdear: It's still perfectly legible, it's just sometimes I had to stop and reread things a couple of times. Ah well, all the more reason to pray this part gets animated too!

(Don't get me wrong, though, I am immensely grateful to the folks who worked so hard to help people read this extremely good manga. Maybe it's just that my reading comprehension's gotten worse in the past couple of years.)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Thinking back on the themes in the story, I wish Pocoloco got a bit more attention, just so we could see the contrast between him and Valentine. Valentine fought like hell to obtain the power he sought, which allowed him to send his bad fortune to others. Then he got wrecked because he had it coming. Pocoloco just kept to his business and counted his blessings and ending up winning everything he wanted.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

YggiDee posted:

I adore everything she does (learning lip reading to spy on folks, stabbing Valentine in the loving throat, carrying around a severed head for the express purpose of loving disintegrating Diego

Also secretly claiming the corpse behind everyone's backs at the very end, what a loving boss.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lucy gave birth to Jesus so it stands to reason that she has the best claim over him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Now Jesus finally has two moms and two dads.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love Valentine’s last dramatic monologue. Man, what an exceptional villain.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Valentine's last trick being just trying to convince Johnny that he's right and Johnny having self-doubts and thinking that he might be the one that's in the wrong is really something else.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Johnny seeing through all of Valentine's talk to realize that he is full of poo poo and has always been in it only for himself and that Valentine isn't going to honor anything he says is great too.

Got to be 101% sure.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.........!

They are all those of 'justice'.

[dies attempting to murder a disabled teenager for the sake of pettiness]

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I also felt like that was the point that the Jonathan side of him fully merged with his Johnny side. Like, he really wanted to believe Valentine and stop so there would be no more blood shed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Johnny is just broken by the end. Just 100% done with this race and this corpse and this president. When he's telling Valentine to just pick up the gun, it's just the most intense thing.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

:(

Kinda like the design for the first pants, tho

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love Johnny's big star onesie with the huge hood. If the anime doesn't go with the blue for his color scheme, I'll be really upset

What is that big thing behind his head supposed to be? a feather?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it looks like some sort of immense codpiece that gyro has on

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't know if someone's posted it yet, but I just love that scene of Johnny and Gyro confessing each other's deepest secret to each other. Johnny looking so flustered while explaining what his kink was had me in stitches. :allears:

YF-23 posted:

Valentine's last trick being just trying to convince Johnny that he's right and Johnny having self-doubts and thinking that he might be the one that's in the wrong is really something else.

Personally, I thought Valentine's final trick was to bring in World Diego to get revenge on Johnny. It's just so perfectly petty too. Bring in someone whose ambitions Valentine somewhat approved of and then give him explicit instructions on how to defeat Johnny with his own rotation.

Plus I just love how this relates to Lucy. After all the fear and stress, the threat of sexual violence, using her as his personal 'goddess', Lucy being the one to smash Valentine's last act of malice into pieces was just perfect.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Thinking back on the themes in the story, I wish Pocoloco got a bit more attention, just so we could see the contrast between him and Valentine. Valentine fought like hell to obtain the power he sought, which allowed him to send his bad fortune to others. Then he got wrecked because he had it coming. Pocoloco just kept to his business and counted his blessings and ending up winning everything he wanted.

This does make me think that if Johnny and Gyro didn't bother with the corpse parts, they could have probably won the race by a large margin. Or hell, if Sandman just kept racing then he could have won the money he needed to buy back his peoples' land. :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a bunch of dimensions where the two of them probably won because they didn't get dragged into Valentine's Jesus hunt.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to see the reactions of the Johnny and Lucy in the other dimensions as their Valentine just goes "hold up imma be right back" and then vanishes underground.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

There's a bunch of dimensions where the two of them probably won because they didn't get dragged into Valentine's Jesus hunt.

Only the ones in which Pocoloco didn't have the 1 in a billion luck. Him lucking into #1 is one of my favourite things. :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Theres a bunch of timelines where the president just suddenly goes from completely fine to a corpse. History must be fun in those.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Theres a bunch of timelines where the president just suddenly goes from completely fine to a corpse. History must be fun in those.

It's called assassination and it's happened like twice.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
But when d4c is involved there's no really going to be a culprit

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Yeah, come to think of it, what reason would the Johnny and Lucy of the corpseless worlds have to end up where they were in the base world? Did Johnny need the diamonds really badly for some super expensive spine surgery or robot legs or something? Did Lucy eat the diamonds?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dragonwagon posted:

Did Lucy eat the diamonds?

She took them to the sky.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dragonwagon posted:

Yeah, come to think of it, what reason would the Johnny and Lucy of the corpseless worlds have to end up where they were in the base world? Did Johnny need the diamonds really badly for some super expensive spine surgery or robot legs or something? Did Lucy eat the diamonds?

Interesting that at least one of the Johnnys had Tusk Act 2. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

sirtommygunn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wAq8QetOUQ Watch every single one of disco ballad's videos but especially this one that just got uploaded.
man D4C's design is so loving good.

Part 7 and Part 4 are definitely the tops for me in terms of main JoJo and Bad Guy Stand design