Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Crusader posted:

Gyro’s introduction is loving wild... just the belt, then the grill combo had me howling.

The reveal of the grill with his own name on it like a Victorian Paul Wall might be my favourite thing in all of JoJos.

In case my username doesn't give it away, Gyro is the best character in possibly anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Accordion Man posted:

Caesar was friends with Nazis, Gyro is far superior by default.

actually, yeah, that's true. it's absolutely not a competition. gyro rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let the race begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mln0RciE2o0

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And, as an aside, welcome ladies and gentleman to Gay Cowboy Subtext.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^Cowboys touching/protecting their balls.
Gyro also managed to get an enemy shoot himself in the head without using his bullshit stand power and turn it into a banana, which i think would please Abbacchio.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the teddy bear is absolutely essential.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Remember The Cow, Pocoloco.

Remember The Cow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love the little doodles at the end of chapters. They really remind me of Hugo Pratt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Inflammatory posted:

the teddy bear is absolutely essential.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pocoloco owns and I would read the gently caress out of a spin-off manga that was the race from his perspective.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So yeah, that's a pretty good place to end for this week. A nice cliffhanger.

gently caress I forgot just how good Steel Ball Run is.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I love how creative mountain Tim's power is

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Huh, Sandman has sand powers. He makes little sand arms come up from the emerald he gives away to temporarily blind the registration guy.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pocoloco's Stand's (I'm assuming that's what it is) appearance reminds me of Cheap Trick so I'm inclined not to trust it even if so far it's been nothing but nice :thunk:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ahahahahahaha the standings at the first stage.

I totally forgot all these quick references - Dixie Chicken, fuckin' Nellyville, Barry White.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first arc is Wacky Races and Gyro is Dick Dastardly.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I totally forgot about Gyro’s secret weapon. Gotta have that teddy bear

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I read the entirety of Steel Ball Run last year and somehow managed to never notice Gyro's belt.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The tale of a young cowboy who yearns for the secrets of how another man uses his balls.

Johnny/Gyro is one of those relationships that's totally a thing but the narrative never comes out and says it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 12, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the volume covers are sure as hell going to say a few things about it, at least

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I always thought it was bullshit how Mountain Tim got 4th place out of nowhere instead of Johnny, and only now i notice how Araki actually put him there when they cross the finish line. gently caress.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've half-joked and half-seriously said that Steel Ball Run might as well be American Literary Fiction, and Gay Cowboy Subtext is partly why because the way Johnny views Gyro in this story reminded me a lot of stuff like A Separate Peace and the like.

Look at how he first sees Gyro when they first meet. He looks like a god among men instead of how we first meet him (Nyoho!), where Gyro comes across as, like, sexy but in a rat kind of way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pictured: gyro before he signs up for the steel ball run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPIobI_0B8

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

BaDandy posted:

Gyro comes across as, like, sexy but in a rat kind of way.

:hmmyes:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well we've all talked about the grill and the belt buckle but nobody's mentioned his... Beard squares? Does he have to shave them in himself or is he cheating with his weird Italian powers.

Actually I looked it up and the history of the safety razor is more complex than I thought but Gyro may well have access to a shaving option that isn't just a giant blade.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gyro and johnny are really neat from a character perspective because they're both a bit of a different take from earlier iterations of their 'role' in jojo as a whole. there's only a taste so far, but, it's probably already clear that the two are a far cry from like, jonathan and baron zeppeli or even joseph and caesar, even if the time periods are roughly similar.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I like how their stars and stripes compliment each other. :3:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

YggiDee posted:

Well we've all talked about the grill and the belt buckle but nobody's mentioned his... Beard squares? Does he have to shave them in himself or is he cheating with his weird Italian powers.

Actually I looked it up and the history of the safety razor is more complex than I thought but Gyro may well have access to a shaving option that isn't just a giant blade.
Gyro probably uses his balls.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Fellas is it gay to liken beauty to a guy you met on the beach? Is it gay to make it your goal to touch his balls one more time? Is it g

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Johnny can't be gay he had a threesome

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

YggiDee posted:

Wait really? I thought it was a WWI era invention so people could shave thier face easily for gas masks to fit properly

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 13, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember hearing that Steel Ball Run started just as Steel Ball Run and it wasn't till later that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure got added on to it.

Is that true?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Johnny Joestar posted:

pictured: gyro before he signs up for the steel ball run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPIobI_0B8

Lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Gyro’s grill is loving ICONIC

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it wasn't labeled as jojo at first when it started out but it was pretty obvious that it was jojo. even from around the beginning there's a brief glimpse of what could only be a stand and some of the characters involved are clear callbacks even if they're not related.

i forget when it starts getting added on in force to the title but it might have something to do with the jump to a different publication that has him on a monthly schedule (which is what the current part, jojolion, is also on). on that note you can also see a jump in art quality overall, which is nice. the color scans especially start becoming really gorgeous when they have the monthly-drawn manga to work from.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Gyro is great and I love his grill. It's a great intro to his character. Also I never made the connection from his balls to the Zeppeli bubbles from early JoJo. That's pretty cool if it was an intentional link.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I remember hearing that Steel Ball Run started just as Steel Ball Run and it wasn't till later that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure got added on to it.

Is that true?
It was always intended to be another Jojo's part by Araki, WSJ editorial just thought they'd do a better job attracting a fresh audience if they could introduce it as a "new" comic.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

YggiDee posted:

He definitely uses the steel ball to shave like how Josuke uses bubbles

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

My thoughts on the first portion. I have read this before so its just my thoughts on a reread:

-I love the race. I love that the characters have something to do besides fight each other, constant fight fatigue really brought down GW and SO. Its such an awesome way to drive the story forward and give us some tension and stakes that arent life and death at all times.

-There seem to be a LOT of teensy little callbacks that I never noticed my first time through. Like, Urmd Avdol is obvious but the army regiment that gets lost in the desert when Johnnys explaining the importance of the watering holes is exactly like The Sun (straight down to the temperature being between 50-60C), the Santa Ana winds pushing at Gyros back, the curse mentioned during Mrs Robinson sounds exactly like how Donovan went out when Joseph tied him to a cactus. I also like how Araki can walk the tightrope and make these kinds of inclusions feel natural instead of winking and nudging us in the ribs when he does it.

-Going with what I was saying above, even though the Boom Boom family feels a lot like Mariah's Bast, the strategies involved are totally different. Mariah went out by utilizing the magnetism against her, meanwhile Gyro scored a hit on one of the users by specifically targeting something that wouldnt be affected by the magnetism. So you can have a callback but still make things original. Also, shooting the bullets through the gaping hole in your sons belly in order to magnetize them was good poo poo, lol. I was laughing when the father was saying with regards to the bellyhole "What youre gonna cry about this? In my day I got half my face ripped off and you didnt see me crying!" I remember next to nothing about these early encounters and its good to see theyre just as crazy and fun as all the memorable stuff.

-Ive always loved the way Mountain Tims stand looks when he uses it, and how he was doing bullshit like picking up buttons and popping bottlecaps off with his lasso as if it was nothing.

-The page with the racers and thier rankings after the first leg of the race is hilarious and one of my favorite Jojo pages along with Ultimate Kars' transformation, Akira Otoshis guitar and Superfly's users calluses. I love those text heavy wierdo pages.

-I forgot that the reporter actually said "Wait, is it true your wife is 14?!" at the end of the press conference and I thought that was just something people threw into jokes and memes after the fact.

-I never read the colored scans before, is it just me or were the first couple of chapters sorta crummy and washed out looking? Does this have to do with the jump from weekly to monthly? Like did he change his shading style or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So, uh, really not sure how I feel about the first few pages going into great detail about how "the white man's running style" is way better than anything native Americans can do...please tell me this isn't a running theme of the part?