Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Can't believe I'm going back into the true man's world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I forgot our first Stand battle was this early in the series. So much of Jojo at this stage has been fights between Stand users, it's cool how in this part Araki has our protagonists being just normal guys against dudes with superpowers. Well there's is the SPIN.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm gonna be so pissed off when the anime inevitably changes up all the colour schemes I'm used to for Steel Ball Run. If Gyro isn't covered in lime green balls I'm gonna flip.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Hmm yes this guy looks perfectly normal, not suspicious or anything.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Speaking of Oyecomova and legs being blown off, I forgot just how hosed up both Gyro and Mountain Tim get in that fight, the two page spread of Gyro's leg exploding is some great Jojo.

Edit : Gyro can deny it all he likes but the zombie horse is definitely his father's Stand.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 19, 2019

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I think Tusk is more comparible to Stone Free or Sticky Fingers in that it's a fun, powerful stand but not obviously totally busted like some other protagonist stands. I'd honestly lump Crazy Diamond in this category too, it's powerful but the Hand, Echoes Act 2 and Heavens Door are all pretty loving busted too.

Progressing in my read, I forgot just how memorable all these early enemy of the week type stand battles are to me. They all have a gimmick or visuals that I immediately remembered getting back to it. It's nice to see more of Johnny's character. I really like the one moment where he is so reluctant to give up the corpse arm but does so to save Gyro's life. Also interesting that without the arm, Johnny loses his Stand. The other people we've seen develop an ability by entering the Devil's Palm don't seem to have a corpse part, so Johnny's power is clearly different.

We've also met the President of the United States, so this conflict is already pretty wild less than 30 chapters in.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 21, 2019

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
My bad. I never realised the corpse's identity was really supposed to be that mysterious.

The President drinking that beer is top tier Jojo weirdness for me.

Scary Monsters is a fun little adventure too. Deigo is treated like poo poo by Johnny but I think at this point he's done basically nothing to indicate he's an antagonist. I mean he is trying to kill them as a dinosaur, but is that really his own will?

Deigo's back story has straight copied a big chunk straight from Dororo with his mother and the burning soup, which I didn't appreciate back when I first read SBR.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
"Give me the island of Manhattan" is some good loving jojo right there. Valentine is so furious with him too, its great.

I'm not convinced that the way Sandman uses his Stand here is 100 %consistent with how it was presented earlier in the story, but that's a minor quibble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Crusader posted:

in that world they were fighting over the Arrow maybe

also interesting there was a brief mention of a meteorite creating the Devil's Palm, and then it was just quietly dropped once Jesus came into the picture

Like the zombie horse being Zeppeli Snr.'s stand power, my own take away was always that the gems in the other world were, like, stand arrow gems. The other worlds clearly have some stand battles and stuff going on, and the President is super invested in them despite running the country.

I think Valentine is my favourite Jojo villain. He has such presence, and the whole sequence with him slipping through the American flag is a spectacular visual. D4C is sort of unique in the part too because its basically a stand from parts 3-6 in design, which gives it a unique position in SBR until the World shows up. Speaking of visuals, the battle with the loving ocean coming in is a great set piece and I can't wait to see it animated.