Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Aurora posted:

well, guess no one cares about the weird transphobic bit. i don't really care if the inspiration is 'sideshow attractions', it's always been gross and exploitative

I'm sorry, it was just a boss made to set up the joke about the bearded man, and I was not trying to imply the bearded lady was a trans woman or anything, honestly. I see I described the beard/goatee as "gross" though so i did take that part out for the next patch. I hope that's at least better.

edit: I've also changed the pic a bit:

something fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Class act, that 4g.

This grind for the GM set is ginna take a while, isnt it? Least I can run wishes while things are going, and I dont have to babysit constantly.

Thanks for starting the new thread BTW. I'll have to try some of these games,out.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Am I doing something wrong with the start of Evolve or is it supposed to be this slow? I'm at the point where I need thousands and thousands of knowledge to get anything but I'm still ~8 knowledge/s. Universities and libraries take shitloads of money, wood, stone, and cement but give a completely pathetic amount of knowledge, and cottages/cabins/farms for more population take just as long to build for a similarly pathetic increase in lumber/stone/cement per second.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i appreciate the change and response. thank you

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Am I doing something wrong with the start of Evolve or is it supposed to be this slow? I'm at the point where I need thousands and thousands of knowledge to get anything but I'm still ~8 knowledge/s. Universities and libraries take shitloads of money, wood, stone, and cement but give a completely pathetic amount of knowledge, and cottages/cabins/farms for more population take just as long to build for a similarly pathetic increase in lumber/stone/cement per second.

That's the way the first reset is supposed to go. I play pretty lax and it was several days to get to the reset button, fwiw. What's your population right now? Once you have apartments things will be more focused. I use pop as my meter stick for how far I am & I get to reset at ~130 pop. Though I should note that pop determines how much of the prestige currency you'll get, so spend a bit increasing your pop count.

Aurora posted:

Seconded.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

54, only up to Cottages, which are slow going because of how much cement is required.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

While we're talking Evolve, is there a rule of thumb for rebirthing? I unlocked it for the first time, but I've been spending one last stretch trying to bump Knowledge up high enough to grab Shotgun Sequencing in case it gives me another plasmid. I suppose I'm spending too long grinding, but if I'd restarted at 130pop I'd be going out with 1 plasmid instead of like 5.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Omi no Kami posted:

While we're talking Evolve, is there a rule of thumb for rebirthing? I unlocked it for the first time, but I've been spending one last stretch trying to bump Knowledge up high enough to grab Shotgun Sequencing in case it gives me another plasmid. I suppose I'm spending too long grinding, but if I'd restarted at 130pop I'd be going out with 1 plasmid instead of like 5.

Spent knowledge (on research) only has a minor effect on plasmid gain compared to population and barracks. For your first MAD reset you want to use it as soon as you'll get ~100 plasmids and ~125 afterwards.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 8, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rynoto posted:

Spent knowledge (on research) only has a minor effect on plasmid gain compared to population and barracks. For your first MAD reset you want to use it as soon as you'll get ~100 plasmids and ~150 afterwards.

Holy cow, 100??? Hmkay, I'm glad I didn't pre-emptively hit it then... I didn't even know that population went into it. Thanks for clarifying ^^

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
As far as I can tell for the pre-space portion yeah it's all about just getting the most population you possibly can and then nuking. I'm still not super clear on when to spend on crispr but I think 500+phage is where I'm at now? so hopefully I can pick up everything but the cost reductions on this run. Still haven't seen hide nor hair of fancy species or have any idea how to unlock them

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Eldercain posted:

As far as I can tell for the pre-space portion yeah it's all about just getting the most population you possibly can and then nuking. I'm still not super clear on when to spend on crispr but I think 500+phage is where I'm at now? so hopefully I can pick up everything but the cost reductions on this run. Still haven't seen hide nor hair of fancy species or have any idea how to unlock them

You should start getting the first storage and cost reduction upgrades when it won't put you under 250 and keep doing runs until you get 500 and most of the early upgrades and second tier religion before the first space run. The 'secret' species are after the first space reset and another requirement for hell.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
NGU question: should I be turning off Idle Questing to run up a big quest bank, then turning it back on again to burn through those quests? is it better to just keep doing minor quests? do you need to hit a certain quest multiplier/drop rate before that makes sense? I'm definitely questing faster than I get quests.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What I do is turn off "Use Major Quest if Available" and leave it idling through minor quests while the major quest bank fills up, and when it does I crank through the major quests actively. I know some other people in the thread don't like questing at all and just leave it to idle through any available quests, but there's no benefit to stopping questing entirely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I only let it idle minor quests and when I have some time to pay more attention to the game (at work lol) I'll turn the idler off and start running through the major quests until I'm back to 0 where I'll turn major quests off and idling back on again.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Ghostlight posted:

What I do is turn off "Use Major Quest if Available"

poo poo, I didn't even realize that was an option

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh hey, a new thread. Someday we'll get a new game I want to play.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy cow, 100??? Hmkay, I'm glad I didn't pre-emptively hit it then... I didn't even know that population went into it. Thanks for clarifying ^^

It's ((pop + soldiers) / 3) + Knowledge Bonus. Knowledge bonus is just "1 plasmid for first 100K knowledge spent, * 1.1 for each additional plasmid." The space reset has a multiplier of 1.015 instead, and gives another prestige currency, phage.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Shark Game still exists

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Chakan posted:

It's ((pop + soldiers) / 3) + Knowledge Bonus. Knowledge bonus is just "1 plasmid for first 100K knowledge spent, * 1.1 for each additional plasmid." The space reset has a multiplier of 1.015 instead, and gives another prestige currency, phage.

I'm assuming this is taken straight from the code but I still refuse to believe it. I was 100% sure that a soldier counts for more than 1 population.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Can confirm Chakan is right, I've rooted around in that codebase enough times that I can pinpoint the line if you really want. The thing is, Barracks eventually provide +3 soldiers so each building is equivalent to a plasmid.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'll make it for you in 2020 dw

(joking but also totally not joking)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Shark Game still exists
I know, I said "new" :shobon:

something posted:

I'll make it for you in 2020 dw

(joking but also totally not joking)
Your style and mine don't seem to mesh but I am glad you have made a shitload of money off doing what you're doing because you're real good at it!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NGU

Are there any fruits worth eating right away, or is it better to harvest everything for a bit to get seeds faster?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Chakan posted:

Wait, is there a way to view how many plasmids I get upon rebirth? I'd been assuming that the amount under my Plasmid resource (which is currently 5) was it, but I have well over 300 dudes by this point so I'm theoretically already good to restart.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait, is there a way to view how many plasmids I get upon rebirth? I'd been assuming that the amount under my Plasmid resource (which is currently 5) was it, but I have well over 300 dudes by this point so I'm theoretically already good to restart.

hover over the button, it's in the tooltip

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

pixaal posted:

hover over the button, it's in the tooltip

Ooh derp, I should've rebirthed ages ago; thanks!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Shark Game still exists

I just started this when I actually read the new OP and it owns. I have no idea what the planet environment levels mean or what to spend rebirth currency on or whatever but it's fun and cute and I like it

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
NGU feature request:

A button to convert all boosts in inventory to a different boost

A field where we can input how long we want spells to autocast, so that im not still autocasting spells 12h into a rebirth so that i can, like, get 2 decent iron pills per rebirth instead of just a single one like its been lately

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone reopen the last thread to out a link to this one at the bottom please and thanks

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Eldercain linked it, its just that someone else posted after them.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I decided to play that bitcoin miner game because it sounded fun, but now I'm completely stuck.

The last thing I did was "resolve" the situation at TacoX (killing the protesters). There's nothing for me to do on the green or pink tabs, my money is steadily ticking into the negatives on the white, and I have no clue what the gently caress the command prompt tab is for.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

serefin99 posted:

I decided to play that bitcoin miner game because it sounded fun, but now I'm completely stuck.

The last thing I did was "resolve" the situation at TacoX (killing the protesters). There's nothing for me to do on the green or pink tabs, my money is steadily ticking into the negatives on the white, and I have no clue what the gently caress the command prompt tab is for.

i think you can type like help or something in it to find commands?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just sold a bunch of bitcoin to exchanges and attacked some dude with a... "club"... do i just have to wait until i can withdraw money now, or am i missing something obvious?

e: weasel dust, right. can never have enough weasel dust

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 8, 2019

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Something, thanks for the cap all diggers button. It is so good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

something posted:

I'm sorry, it was just a boss made to set up the joke about the bearded man, and I was not trying to imply the bearded lady was a trans woman or anything, honestly. I see I described the beard/goatee as "gross" though so i did take that part out for the next patch. I hope that's at least better.

edit: I've also changed the pic a bit:

Aurora posted:

The forums were making GBS threads themselves yesterday but I just wanted to go back and say how nice it is to have a developer who doesn't immediately poo poo the bed the moment someone asks for their existence to be slightly accommodated.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Okay unless Evolve speeds up drastically after the first reset, or I'm doing something wrong, I don't think this is for me. I'm waiting for my soldiers to heal so I can go on more pillages since they're the only thing giving me meaningful resources, so I can get coal to get the Rotary Kiln because it's basically the only upgrade left that doesn't require Titanium (which I don't have and can't get yet), or only applies to crates/containers/mercenaries, and I get randomly attacked by a rival city and lose most of my soldiers, so now I have to wait another 20 minutes or something to try pillaging for coal again. This is super frustrating.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay unless Evolve speeds up drastically after the first reset, or I'm doing something wrong, I don't think this is for me. I'm waiting for my soldiers to heal so I can go on more pillages since they're the only thing giving me meaningful resources, so I can get coal to get the Rotary Kiln because it's basically the only upgrade left that doesn't require Titanium (which I don't have and can't get yet), or only applies to crates/containers/mercenaries, and I get randomly attacked by a rival city and lose most of my soldiers, so now I have to wait another 20 minutes or something to try pillaging for coal again. This is super frustrating.

Open coal mines for coal, it's much faster.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I've already got 14, getting more requires shitloads of wrought iron, and I'm only at like 6.2 coal/s with as many trade routes for it as I can afford.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
And evolve will substantially increase in speed after the first reset as it unlocks temples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

how the gently caress did i make top 5 posting last thread I barely even played NGU lol