Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

It idles you after like 24 hours of not logging in, so it doesn't make much difference. Gathering event on now, so if you just set yourself to the highest-tier gathering you can reliably do, that would probably be good.

Got it, I even got up to Mahagony now from my weeks of apparently having left it on woodcutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Oh there is a new taming skill in ironwood. hatch pets, send on expeditions. Runs in parallel with whatever else you're doing. Looks kinda cool!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Crafting event is on in Ironwood RPG.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lilli posted:

Cycle

Does anyone know if there are any booster packs for ER besides the basic pack cost and if so how much do they cost? The fact that you can't look at the other packs without having enough glowing runes to buy them annoys the poo poo out of me. I assume there are others just given they have the cycle buttons to move through them.

Coming back to this, I just unlocked something that shows that you can get better boosters down the line. 3x price, but higher chance of rare/high star cards.
Don't worry too much though, because it's a hell of a grind to unlock them.

Edit: If you haven't already used it, it might be worth saving the eternal essence for a certain something you can buy when you unlock the last feature on the second island. Requires 400

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 6, 2024

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Broken Cog posted:

Coming back to this, I just unlocked something that shows that you can get better boosters down the line. 3x price, but higher chance of rare/high star cards.
Don't worry too much though, because it's a hell of a grind to unlock them.

Edit: If you haven't already used it, it might be worth saving the eternal essence for a certain something you can buy when you unlock the last feature on the second island. Requires 400

I just got the last unlock in 2nd island, and I'm glad I trudged through that mob across basically an entire day of grinding. Used up my EE on +20% Reagents before that though, but it's not a big deal. The best use is probably the talent reset button, but I don't want to make my runs even longer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dipwood posted:

I just got the last unlock in 2nd island, and I'm glad I trudged through that mob across basically an entire day of grinding. Used up my EE on +20% Reagents before that though, but it's not a big deal. The best use is probably the talent reset button, but I don't want to make my runs even longer.

Yeah, I used my essences on faster harvests. With quests giving double on rebirth as well, I figured I'll just rebirth when I want to respec

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Where does the missing item come from?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
Rare drop off tiger boss.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh baby.... got my Astrology interval down to 0.25 seconds in Melvor

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Cycle Idle RPG now has Daily Gifts, which are various temporary bonuses when you collect enough of them. It gave me like 300 Rebirth tokens right away (100 per use), which I am using right away in order to continue farming in Continent 2 without having a start-up time, and getting more RP per rebirth for a while, although the RP gains at high class levels are almost negligible, so I'm not even gaining much. Probably going to spend all my upgrade omnistones on reagants, ER uses, etc.

Also, some of the crafting recipes I've unlocked in the subsequent 3 nodes after the first 3 nodes on 2nd island don't impress me much, and the grind to get materials for them gets worse and worse.

My ER decks are pretty beefy at this point, I got nearly 600 ichor on one of my recent runs, but I don't think my ichor gain is going to increase in proportion to the rising costs of the upgrades. I feel the same way with the rebirths in general, where I have hit some soft of soft cap in RP but the costs keep rising. Progression has definitely slowed quite a bit, likely due to being close to end of content (the next zone requires 50k kills of something of the previous mob... highest requirement I've seen yet).

The companions have some game-changing buffs, but it will be a while before I get any of them to 4 for their first passive. Also, the 30% talent one is clearly the best active. I don't understand the situations where you would use the others. I tried the knowledge one for example but it ended up being less knowledge than 30% more Dex.

On the bright side, offline gains are 1:1, and you can bank uses of all the features on a timer, so it doesn't feel bad to just log in a couple times a day.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 9, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
ironwood pets: if an expedition says attack, does that mean I should bring pets with attack or that I should bring pets that are strong against attack?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gathering event is on in Ironwood.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

VictualSquid posted:

ironwood pets: if an expedition says attack, does that mean I should bring pets with attack or that I should bring pets that are strong against attack?

Looks like you should bring pets with high Defense to counter the Attack. Similarly in this changelog example because the expedition is good with Defense then you want Special Attack to target the thing it's not good against.

Changelog posted:

Each expedition has various traits that define what pets will be good against them (these traits will rotate twice a week)
Matching pet traits to gain an advantage against expedition traits is vital (i.e. if an expedition has the Attack & Defense traits, then pets with high Special Attack & Defense stats will be best)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2864890/Magic_Research_2/

Magic Research has a sequel demo

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Saraiguma posted:

Magic Research has a sequel demo
I didn't ever beat the first one with any degree of finality because the bosses all got more finnicky as you go

Magic Research on Steam posted:

• Use your arsenal of more than 120 distinct spells to make progress
  • Transmute (magically craft) over 250 different items to help you on your journey
not sure I'm looking forward to it if that's the pitch

120 spells is too many spells

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

I didn't ever beat the first one with any degree of finality because the bosses all got more finnicky as you go

not sure I'm looking forward to it if that's the pitch

120 spells is too many spells

i am hoping the spell management and automation is more robust and that combat bosses don't basically require manual playing except for a few specific strats

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
Is Ironwood down for anyone else?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I just logged in perfectly fine.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dipwood posted:

Cycle Idle RPG now has Daily Gifts, which are various temporary bonuses when you collect enough of them. It gave me like 300 Rebirth tokens right away (100 per use), which I am using right away in order to continue farming in Continent 2 without having a start-up time, and getting more RP per rebirth for a while, although the RP gains at high class levels are almost negligible, so I'm not even gaining much. Probably going to spend all my upgrade omnistones on reagants, ER uses, etc.

Also, some of the crafting recipes I've unlocked in the subsequent 3 nodes after the first 3 nodes on 2nd island don't impress me much, and the grind to get materials for them gets worse and worse.

My ER decks are pretty beefy at this point, I got nearly 600 ichor on one of my recent runs, but I don't think my ichor gain is going to increase in proportion to the rising costs of the upgrades. I feel the same way with the rebirths in general, where I have hit some soft of soft cap in RP but the costs keep rising. Progression has definitely slowed quite a bit, likely due to being close to end of content (the next zone requires 50k kills of something of the previous mob... highest requirement I've seen yet).

The companions have some game-changing buffs, but it will be a while before I get any of them to 4 for their first passive. Also, the 30% talent one is clearly the best active. I don't understand the situations where you would use the others. I tried the knowledge one for example but it ended up being less knowledge than 30% more Dex.

On the bright side, offline gains are 1:1, and you can bank uses of all the features on a timer, so it doesn't feel bad to just log in a couple times a day.
Yeah, I think the companions is the last thing they've implemented, and they just made them super grindy so people have something to run while they work on more content.

Might take a break and come back to it later.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I think the companions is the last thing they've implemented, and they just made them super grindy so people have something to run while they work on more content.

Might take a break and come back to it later.

The worst part of many idle/incremental games is this kind of thing. CIFI has been alright but I've been stuck in a hell of literal months of little progress (no doubt still there from when it was the newest content). Luckily, there's an impending update to fix that but I've almost quit it, due to that.

(For those that play/played, the e500-e1500 MP grind for second prestige is being squished to e888 or something)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man Melvor really opens up once you have a steady cash flow from Townships, I don't know how it was playable before they were implemented. You have to spend millions upon millions of gold to level up things like summoning, and if you were doing that just with fishing or whatever it would be a nightmare.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man Melvor really opens up once you have a steady cash flow from Townships, I don't know how it was playable before they were implemented. You have to spend millions upon millions of gold to level up things like summoning, and if you were doing that just with fishing or whatever it would be a nightmare.

i played it without spoilers/guides for a while and just sold magic logs for money, townships are indeed much easier lol

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
There’s multiple viable ways to get money as you go through Melvor, so township isn’t mandatory; that said, turning income into a nearly entirely passive affair does free up your skill time extremely well.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I also used to just leave myself gathering magic logs to sell

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah fishing was my main source of income but it was very nice to get the township stuff maxed out so you didn't have to stay so on top of whatever you were doing to make money. Every time I logged in I had like 5m more in the bank. It did feel nice to finish that and get room to expand into other stuff without being worried about missing out on money opportunities.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tortolia posted:

There’s multiple viable ways to get money as you go through Melvor, so township isn’t mandatory; that said, turning income into a nearly entirely passive affair does free up your skill time extremely well.

Yeah I'm in ancient relics and don't have 99 township yet but I was pretty easily able to scrounge up the 200 million for the God Dungeon skill upgrades from a pure crystal mining setup. Interval reduction gets pretty nuts

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
after a couple weeks of play i don't have much positive feeling on FAPI. there's not much excitement when unlocking stuff and powering up doesn't feel particularly rewarding.

there's some ideas the game is attempting to do, but it feels very tedious which gives me bad feelings about future feature unlocks. there's several core things like the class stuff and equipment that don't feel particularly well thought out and are just baggage. i don't want to juggle a bunch of gear sets to get the appropriate stats for the thing i'm farming, especially since the inventory is cumbersome and the gear resets anyway so you get to deal with leveling it again. the sphere grid is funny but the whole thing is just copy and pasted with only 1 unique thing in each corner, which is only used by that class

the whack mechanic is goofy but also time consuming and rng to keep scaling. i understand it gets more automated like most stuff, but almost every mechanic feeling bad to engage with when you don't have longstanding upgrades isn't pleasant

it's hard to figure out things without looking at guides because the tooltip is either vague on what it does or lies (probably translation)

i guess i'm still looking for ngu2 when that comes out

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I will say that after I got through the first couple of ascensions and more stuff gets automated a lot of those complaints you have that I also had at the start went away, stuff like whack (which I hated doing) eventually becomes entirely automated. Gear, at least at the stage of the game I'm in, isn't so much swapping stuff around but finding the one good set that gives the good bonuses and equipping that until you reach the next good set that gives the good bonuses. Maybe you'll have a second set for extra +Reinc but I almost never have more than the stuff I'm wearing. Also the skill tree is annoying but at a certain point the Freeloader class is the only one you'll need to use because again the drop chance and drop cap buffs you get from it trump the bonuses from all the other classes since gear is really your progression.

This plays into your point about figuring things out without guides because I sure as gently caress never knew until I went and dug around the Discord that Residue bonuses are hugely important and even though the gear is rated worse overall, the stuff in 4-9 Hard for example trumps everything through the next set of stages entirely. I also use the gameplay planner which is a third party tool to give me an idea of what I should be doing, especially useful once you get plants and pets and expeditions. This is extremely helpful to me, probably not necessary but if anything it let me wrap my head around how some of the mechanics work by having the weights assigned to upgrades and bonuses point me towards what's good and what's not.

It definitely needs better documentation and tooltips (it does seem like wonky translation perhaps) but I have been enjoying the escalation of mechanics very much in the same way as NGU where old things you had to constantly poke at eventually become background numbers going up which sorta gives you the freedom to get more in the weeds with the later mechanics.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Re: FAPI Translation Issues, the Dev is definitely a non-English speaker, but they are trying to fix all the tool tips that say non-sensical/incorrect stuff.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
so I bounced right off NGU when it first came out but decided to give it another shot and I'm having a blast

somethingggg: your style of referential humor is somehow actually funny to me even though usually I hate stuff like that, have cracked up multiple times, most recently when I had to fight Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano

also your game is hella fun too, thank you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh, the FAPI people just announced a new game they appear to be publishing, although they are on the steam page as a developer so who knows.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2763740/Revolution_Idle/

Seems.. interesting. Not sure how interesting it'll be watching circles fill in but it's probably no less interesting than watching a bunch of potatoes running around on screen.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

explosivo posted:

Huh, the FAPI people just announced a new game they appear to be publishing, although they are on the steam page as a developer so who knows.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2763740/Revolution_Idle/

Seems.. interesting. Not sure how interesting it'll be watching circles fill in but it's probably no less interesting than watching a bunch of potatoes running around on screen.

wait I distinctly remember that from the kongregate era of idle games: https://www.kongregate.com/games/ninjanic/revolution-idle

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, maybe they're just helping publish it and get it on steam then?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

so I bounced right off NGU when it first came out but decided to give it another shot and I'm having a blast

somethingggg: your style of referential humor is somehow actually funny to me even though usually I hate stuff like that, have cracked up multiple times, most recently when I had to fight Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano

also your game is hella fun too, thank you

I liked the boss named :emptyquote:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

explosivo posted:

Oh, maybe they're just helping publish it and get it on steam then?

Yeah, it's this. Oni (the FAPI dev) liked the original game (which was never actually finished, the version on Kong/CG is just a 'demo'), so he contacted the original dev and is working with them to finish the game and publish it.

e: I've also played the original and enjoyed it, will be interesting to see what the dev will do with the additional prestige layers that are only referenced to in the demo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lib and let die posted:

I liked the boss named :emptyquote:
iirc that's also the one that has :iiam: in the corner of its art!

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Cycle Idle RPG: I'll never have a card game as good as this was.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dipwood posted:

Cycle Idle RPG: I'll never have a card game as good as this was.

Goddamn, and I thought my 1200~ ichor game was good.
Lucky round with Giant Germ?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Combat event is on in Ironwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Goddamn, and I thought my 1200~ ichor game was good.
Lucky round with Giant Germ?

Yeah, I have a 5* Giant Germ (somehow rolled this naturally as my first purple card early on) and a 4* Giant Germ and managed to get them both into my hand at the start of the game, and I just kept buffing them and keeping them alive With Divine Bell, 2x Winged Armor, and Maneuvers from the Battle Provisions. Madness Tincture allowed them to get really big from all the consuming. Lanky Lurker as well.

All my green cards are 3*, blue cards are mostly 3* with one 4*, and purple cards are 3*, 4*, and one 5*. Fairly sure I'm going to 'max out' my deck and there's so many features that boil down to buffs for this card game mode, almost too many really, that eventually I'll have no use for quests anymore. I can't imagine getting that level 16 Companion passive for better packs before anyone in this game has maxed out their decks.

I don't want to rebirth anymore without glyphs... it would suck to lose all these main/class levels. Maybe once I get those companions that give RP gain. My main companion is actually near level 4, happened faster than I thought. I'm beating up the monster at the penultimate zone to unlock the last one currently, at which point I'll be out of content and will probably just log in once a day or so. The daily gift stuff was maybe a bit OP to introduce, since I was able to use 300 Rebirth glyphs to create a super soldier that can easily trounce all the monsters in the second continent, since my current iteration has like no Class XP gain and just poured everything into stats.

edit: Looks like there's been an undocumented change to encourage longer runs. My 1 day 10 hour run now has a x10.85 multiplier.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 13, 2024