Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tortolia posted:

Combat sim is generally my go-to mod for testing if I can do something. In the case of Underwater City, not only does it effectively mandate stance swaps, which isn't inherently a bad thing, it also has a boss with a ranged max hit of 2331 damage. That is not a typo.

Knocked out Mists easily, but man, wtf is up with that Underwater City boss? I think I can do it if I manually eat, upgrade my Terran God set to (B), and stack all possible DR, but my first attempt she was basically able to one-hit me from full life. Brutal. Glad I've been keeping up with barrier stuff at least; didn't realize that dungeon would be a requirement before doing Into Darkness in AR mode. Got my Aeries set fully upgraded to (B) so the grind shouldn't be too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Knocked out Mists easily, but man, wtf is up with that Underwater City boss? I think I can do it if I manually eat, upgrade my Terran God set to (B), and stack all possible DR, but my first attempt she was basically able to one-hit me from full life. Brutal. Glad I've been keeping up with barrier stuff at least; didn't realize that dungeon would be a requirement before doing Into Darkness in AR mode. Got my Aeries set fully upgraded to (B) so the grind shouldn't be too bad.

I used melee for my (non-Relics) UC grinding, yeah. Relics mode I really don't think it's going to be optional to have barrier stuff for all styles to some degree of probably-required stance swapping, but melee's the main need due to the boss. For context, here's the set I used to brute force AFK grind UC for about 9.5 kills/hour, so you can use that as a potential baseline; that said, it uses some pieces that are post-Impending Darkness, so you'd have to look for alternative options or perhaps lean on some of the relic bonuses themselves.

Passive: melee power shield
Helm: Ragnar (B) / (C)
Consumable: use whatever, whetstones are probably not a bad idea
Cape: ancient infernal
Amulet: FEZ
Weapon: spectral ice sword (stab)
Armor: Ragnar (B) / (C)
Offhand: (P) Divine Shield
Gem: Devouring Barrier
Legs: Burning Protection
Gloves: Barrier Draining
Boots: Ragnar (B) / (C)
Ring: Ring of Power
Summons: Tortoise / Dragon Potion:
DR 4
Misc: Waterfall Crossing agility obstacle, Dark Waters active PoI

Thinking about a Relics-locked loadout shift, I'd probably look at tidal edge or infernal claw for weapon, the beefiest shield you can get, probably god legs (B), put ragnar or terran god gloves on for DR, and slot in Wasteful ring for either passive or ring slot for better auto-eat range. You might also want to consider Protect from Ranged prayer to lock the boss to a 20% accuracy rate since none of their attacks are unavoidable. Combat sim can probably put you in as good a starting position as possible from there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Super helpful, thanks for that. I think I can pass on upgrading magic barrier gear as I was able to tank the melee guys in the dungeon using my melee set, the boss is the real kicker. Have not delved into any of the highest level slayer areas yet, so I'll keep an eye out for some of the gear pieces you mentioned. Got a bunch of Agility uncaps from clearing ITM so I'm going to try to finish that 99 grind before moving back to combat; it looks like some of those bonuses will be very impactful.

Thankfully I've been really lucky with relics and have a few of the key ones, +100% summon max hit from summoning and -10% attack interval from agility should give me a bit of a cushion. Combat skill caps are at 99 now too so looking forward to the relic unlocks from those.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Super helpful, thanks for that. I think I can pass on upgrading magic barrier gear as I was able to tank the melee guys in the dungeon using my melee set, the boss is the real kicker. Have not delved into any of the highest level slayer areas yet, so I'll keep an eye out for some of the gear pieces you mentioned. Got a bunch of Agility uncaps from clearing ITM so I'm going to try to finish that 99 grind before moving back to combat; it looks like some of those bonuses will be very impactful.

Thankfully I've been really lucky with relics and have a few of the key ones, +100% summon max hit from summoning and -10% attack interval from agility should give me a bit of a cushion. Combat skill caps are at 99 now too so looking forward to the relic unlocks from those.

Yeah, it sounds like you'll be OK. You can get a lot of mileage out of stuff like specific agility obstacle adjustments for DR/HP that may be needed given the equipment limitations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I was just poking at getting back into some of these (turns out active games are kind of hard with a new kid), and was wondering what the current crop of best in class are, and the general grouping of them if there is an agreed upon language for that? I bounced off Melvor Idle and IdleOn pretty hard; had some fun with Idling to Rule the Gods (just got kind of bored), Cell to Singularity and Antimatter Dimensions (got very unclear on progression for both at a certain point), and Your Chronicle (required a surprisingly high amount of active play/change over, maybe I was Just Doing it Wrong?). I tried NGU way back in the day and bounced off it (I saw someone just recently posted they'd had the same experience, but found it good now, so I've added that to the list), and I used to have a pretty active Kittens game going, but just kind of...forgot about it eventually? I've found that while I like number go up, I also like new engagement loops unlocking, and for their to be different run types goals for resets. I've got Grimoire and Magic Research both on my phone - Grimoire is solid on the different runs, although I ultimately find it a bit shallow on variety, while Magic Research almost feels like the opposite. MR is good for some sit down and engage, but feels like its very specific to the point of being tedious for wherever you are at in the progression. Suggestions much appreciated.

As a related question, I did just jump way back to try out Megami Quest 1/2, and was surprised at how engaging they are still. Did those games ever evolve into anything, or were they an evolutionary dead end?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

TaintedBalance posted:

I've found that while I like number go up, I also like new engagement loops unlocking, and for their to be different run types goals for resets.

definitely give NGU another shot yeah

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TaintedBalance posted:

I tried NGU way back in the day and bounced off it (I saw someone just recently posted they'd had the same experience, but found it good now, so I've added that to the list)
that was me! and definitely for sure your post reads like you should try NGU again

(I am still having fun and I didn't even like Idling to Rule the Gods, which 4G credits as one of the bigger direct influences on NGU)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I still think Unnamed Space Idle is one of the better idlers I've played recently, such a clever little game. I wonder if it got updated since i last played.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It got an endgame content patch last month. Can't tell you what it's like because I'm still working on getting past sector 74.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Agent355 posted:

I still think Unnamed Space Idle is one of the better idlers I've played recently, such a clever little game. I wonder if it got updated since i last played.

Probably depends on when you last played.

I had stopped playing right around the time of the Steam release. I think 68 was the end content wall. When I went back and moved my save over to the Steam release, it looked like there was a bunch more stuff added.

But first there is a wall at the 72-75 ish area of basically completing all that old endgame content before you can move on. Things like max all warp upgrades, infinite a new tier of synth, hit the cap for comp multiplier, and a few others. Once you complete all of them, then you can get past 75. I think. I am still working on most of them. All I have completed so far is maxing the challenges, and I am working towards the comp bonus.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Orvin posted:

I had stopped playing right around the time of the Steam release. I think 68 was the end content wall. When I went back and moved my save over to the Steam release, it looked like there was a bunch more stuff added.

But first there is a wall at the 72-75 ish area of basically completing all that old endgame content before you can move on. Things like max all warp upgrades, infinite a new tier of synth, hit the cap for comp multiplier, and a few others. Once you complete all of them, then you can get past 75. I think. I am still working on most of them. All I have completed so far is maxing the challenges, and I am working towards the comp bonus.

It's quite a wall!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

USI basically goes up to level 99 now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm still grinding away at NGU Idle but the end is in sight; just started progressing the Construction Site set.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I've been away from NGU for years. I wish there was an option to fully reset your progress except AP, to keep all those QOL upgrades.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I played a bunch of mass incremental over the weekend and really liked it! Until I hit the make-your-own quantum challenges. The game was intuitive and fun to figure out until that point but when I get 7 challenge modifiers I have to adjust from 1-10 and beat a run to progress, the amount of trial and error needed is just way too tedious. Is one of these modifiers way easier than another? Is this run winnable? Am I supposed to try a really long run or grind out short runs one by one? Idk, and I'm not going to join a discord to get the optimal setup and progress.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Orvin posted:

Btw, I'd been stuck at this point on unnamed space idle for awhile trying to level up crew and get the last couple warp boxes, But finally played around with some combos and synth is *humming* now. Should max it out pretty quickly. Definitely worth moving stuff around and seeing which of the things is the soft spot for you.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
FAPI: Having recently reached A3, any advice for expedition upgrade buying order? Starting with the second expedition slot seemed an easy first choice but I don't have an intuitive sense for like how much for example getting expedition damage up is going to speed up future token gain etc.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Baddog posted:

Btw, I'd been stuck at this point on unnamed space idle for awhile trying to level up crew and get the last couple warp boxes, But finally played around with some combos and synth is *humming* now. Should max it out pretty quickly. Definitely worth moving stuff around and seeing which of the things is the soft spot for you.

I think I have my compute maxed, so I am just letting that run for however long that is going to take. In the meantime I am fiddling with the crew to try and get some extra bonuses. Maybe take long enough to get an extra mastery point or something.

I could probably look a little more in depth to the guides to see what else I could be working on at the same time, but I figure checking in once a day until computer hits X22 will be fine. I am at X19, so it’s going to be awhile still.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thark posted:

FAPI: Having recently reached A3, any advice for expedition upgrade buying order? Starting with the second expedition slot seemed an easy first choice but I don't have an intuitive sense for like how much for example getting expedition damage up is going to speed up future token gain etc.

I would say grab the item rating and head scratcher upgrades for sure. Expedition slots are big, expedition loadouts are required for those so make sure you have at least as many loadouts as you have slots unlocked. Auto Restart is a huuuge QOL bump because then you can just set your expeditions to 1hr and have it auto-repeat so you never have to babysit them again. The two pet slots are pretty important too since a huge amount of your power comes from your pets. It won't feel like it right now but late on once you can get lots of levels on your pets it makes a massive difference.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Gather event is on in Ironwood.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
seconding usi. the unlock for 74 totally changes how you play and is the second prestige layer and it's very much a "play for 10m a day but it's still fun to stare at the space lasers"

e: once you get crew decently leveled you have to start doing targeted runs in cycles. run a research run, then a synth run, then a Warp run etc. they all feed into each other and then ultimately into moving up sectors and unlocking new stuff. the post 74 unlocks start taking old mechanics or of consideration while still giving you the bonus (think ngu beards) and letting you tinker with the new stuff.

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 17, 2024

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

The gooboo guy posted in his discord that he got a job and now has a social life but will still update just not as often.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Is there a way to unfocus all types research in USI? I clicked it, but it seems to be acting as a radio button rather than a checkbox.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't think so since focusing increases how much you get of that research so there's no reason not to have anything focused.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Maigius posted:

Is there a way to unfocus all types research in USI? I clicked it, but it seems to be acting as a radio button rather than a checkbox.

no but there is no reason to unfocused research, focus is a strict buff and at a certain point if you're not specialized for research you'll get functionally 0 gains anyways

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been enjoying Unnamed Space Idle for the past week. I've gotten to sector 18 and unlocked the challenges. The first one gives you a hint to use the 10x weapon damage option on the Core tab. What 10x damage option on the core tab? I only see the weapons and shields I selected for my ship.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
The damage and shield upgrades are 10x more effective. So instead of for example being x1.25 (+25%) it becomes x3.5 (+250%). This is really potent when you get the option of x81 on the beam laser.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's trying to tell you that the weapons/shields upgrade buttons on the Core tab are worth 10x the regular amount while you're in the challenge.

As you progress you'll unlock higher tiers of the same weapons/shields that are strict improvements but cost more salvage to upgrade - later on you'll find the challenge starts requiring you to intentionally use a lower tier so that you can afford to buy the upgrades as they're 10x as effective in the normal game, making a low tier weapon that you can afford to upgrade more valuable than the top tier weapon you can't.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, derp. I see that now. Good grief.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So I'm about to finish NGU (drat traitor is tough to fight). What's the new idle hotness?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Crafting event is on in Ironwood RPG.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
In Incremental Mass Rewritten, what the hell is actually the source of all the boson resources? The game is normally pretty good about letting you know what's causing what but it suddenly threw 7 new resources at me (graviton, higgs, photon, gluon, W+, W-, Z0) with absolutely zero indication where they're coming from. And I can't find a single explanation on the guide or the Discord, everything just says "now you have bosons, time to grind them"???? It's driving me nuts.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

In Incremental Mass Rewritten, what the hell is actually the source of all the boson resources? The game is normally pretty good about letting you know what's causing what but it suddenly threw 7 new resources at me (graviton, higgs, photon, gluon, W+, W-, Z0) with absolutely zero indication where they're coming from. And I can't find a single explanation on the guide or the Discord, everything just says "now you have bosons, time to grind them"???? It's driving me nuts.

They all generate each other and you have a base gain of the top ones, I think. Somewhere on that page it will say that your higgs or whatever is generating 34.1 Z0

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't know if anyone ITT has been following my game but I just put in a new little update that adds a new mechanic layer and expands on the small animation windows for some menus

I'm so happy I got off my rear end and finally started working on the animation stuff for the main screen so it's not just staring at bars.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Deki posted:

I don't know if anyone ITT has been following my game but I just put in a new little update that adds a new mechanic layer and expands on the small animation windows for some menus

I'm so happy I got off my rear end and finally started working on the animation stuff for the main screen so it's not just staring at bars.

I haven't seen this before, but it looks interesting! What's your game? Is this like a smithing/shopkeeping idle rpg?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I haven't seen this before, but it looks interesting! What's your game? Is this like a smithing/shopkeeping idle rpg?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2497110/Idle_Weaponshop/

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Yep. General game loop is around designing weapons or tools to sell and it expands from there. Not a crazy amount of content so far (for an idle game), still working on knocking out bugs/adding QOL features, adding help documentation, and the like.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FAPI just introduced a new League mechanic, separate save starting fresh but with QOL pre-purchased like automation stuff plus your skill loadout slots carry over. Rewards for ascensions in the league are souls, pet tokens, an exclusive pet, and some cosmetics so it's nothing really mandatory but sounds kinda neat I suppose.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Deki posted:

Yep. General game loop is around designing weapons or tools to sell and it expands from there. Not a crazy amount of content so far (for an idle game), still working on knocking out bugs/adding QOL features, adding help documentation, and the like.

Is there a browser version? I cant run steam on my work computer but I can hide a browser tab amongst 100 others. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

explosivo posted:

FAPI just introduced a new League mechanic, separate save starting fresh but with QOL pre-purchased like automation stuff plus your skill loadout slots carry over. Rewards for ascensions in the league are souls, pet tokens, an exclusive pet, and some cosmetics so it's nothing really mandatory but sounds kinda neat I suppose.

How do you trigger this? I'm seeing the same release notes but not an option to create a League save.