Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Trastion posted:

Is there a browser version? I cant run steam on my work computer but I can hide a browser tab amongst 100 others. :)

Yes-ish, I've been mostly focused on the steam client since almost nobody plays that version since the steam release, and it takes much longer to build compared to the steam version. But it does update every time I check in so it is up to date (sometimes ahead of the steam version).

https://dekideveloper.github.io/Weaponsmith_Idle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do you trigger this? I'm seeing the same release notes but not an option to create a League save.

At the main menu now when you launch the game there should be a second option to start a League save. I didn't have the update on android earlier only on PC but my phone *just* updated the android client and now I'm seeing it there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Deki posted:

Yes-ish, I've been mostly focused on the steam client since almost nobody plays that version since the steam release, and it takes much longer to build compared to the steam version. But it does update every time I check in so it is up to date (sometimes ahead of the steam version).

I’m checking in once or twice a week lately as I don’t sit down at my desk as much, but it’s cool to see the progress being made. Love the animations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Deki posted:

Are there any plans to increase the resolution? Mine is enormous and I don't want to make it smaller, so the maximum res of the game as it is makes it a bit hard to read for me.

Very entertaining so far though!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Gathering event is on in Ironwood RPG.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
apparently FAPI soul shop purchases don’t apply to the league save? none of mine are unlocked. I get that the souls will be refunded to the main save at the end of the league, but I’ve already unlocked the stuff in my main save that I want to unlock, I don’t want more souls. I liked the idea of league especially with the extra QOL, but without the soul shop unlocks carrying over it feels like a cash grab.

also this means you would need to spend more money every time the league resets since the souls go to your main save at league end and there’s no way to use main save souls in league.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 23, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I guess the league stuff is entirely optional and you do have a lot of the automation unlocked from the start which is nice, but I don't love that a thing that started out as a NG+ mechanic to give the people at the end of the game something to do changed into a separate league with rewards for the main game that everyone past A0 has access to. It makes it feel like I have to split my time between the two which is not really something I want to do. I don't love seasons in ARPG's like Diablo or Last Epoch but at least in those it's like the seasons will be primarily what you're playing with the benefit of being able to continue your game after the season's over if you want.

It's dumb because it can be ignored but it kinda takes the wind out of my sails w/r/t the game in general because I haven't even unlocked everything yet and now it's like "Hey would you like to start playing the game again from the start without any of your upgrades or items you paid for?" Like no, not really.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deki posted:

Pressing quit at least in the browser version causes it to lockup. Could probably use some popups at first for a tutorial it took me a minute to figure out how to start a job etc. I see how there's various materials for each item eventually but early on that UI is a bit confusing also took a bit to figure out I had to press the start job button and where it was. The Inn upgrade and so on are also a bit of a mess feeling and maybe should be split up? Or maybe key "research" highlighted somehow?

Onboarding needs a pass if I'd just stumbled on this I probably would have bounced before bothering to figure it out, the game is easier to work with once you get it so I'm pretty confident a good tutorial that guides you into buying the inn getting a worker and how making items increases the mine / lumberyard level which increases the production. This should be enough to nudge the user in the correct direction and get the ball rolling.

You don't even need a full annoying forced tutorial you can do it more organic with highlighting what should be the focus of attention.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 23, 2024

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

NachtSieger posted:

Are there any plans to increase the resolution? Mine is enormous and I don't want to make it smaller, so the maximum res of the game as it is makes it a bit hard to read for me.

Very entertaining so far though!

Push ctrl and - (or + to make bigger)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Yeah, I definitely need a basic tutorial pass, its been something I keep forgetting to take a pass at now that the basic mechanics are mostly set in stone

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FAPI: Uninstalled today. This is the first idle game where I really felt that each added feature made the game worse, and the fact that they were all tied to mtx and that the league mechanic is the opposite of what I want (I think you could have such a mechanic, but not in the greedy awful way they implemented it) and I don't see any further value in it.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Toshimo posted:

FAPI: Uninstalled today. This is the first idle game where I really felt that each added feature made the game worse, and the fact that they were all tied to mtx and that the league mechanic is the opposite of what I want (I think you could have such a mechanic, but not in the greedy awful way they implemented it) and I don't see any further value in it.

I am not quite that far with it, but agree this poo poo is no fun. Whatever QOL features they claim to have added aren't nearly enough to make me want to go back to nothing.

The worst part is I feel like I have to do it in order to not miss out on the rewards for the part of the game I care about. They have missed the mark for sure.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Honestly yeah this might be what broke the spell for me too. I've played enough to get through 10 ascensions but I know the last thing to unlock is the settlements or whatever which unlocks at ascension 12 and I've heard aren't very interesting anyway. I haven't checked in since messing around with the season stuff and might just uninstall at this point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, as someone on Ascension 24, I can safely say that there's not that much else to look forward to. It really does seem like the time to take a break again

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

explosivo posted:

Honestly yeah this might be what broke the spell for me too. I've played enough to get through 10 ascensions but I know the last thing to unlock is the settlements or whatever which unlocks at ascension 12 and I've heard aren't very interesting anyway. I haven't checked in since messing around with the season stuff and might just uninstall at this point.

settlements are awful grindy micromanagement heavy mtx sinks and absolutely made me quit

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yep, thanks, I'm walking away from it lol. Had a decent enough time up till now but eh. The league stuff is whatever to me it just helped nudge me over the line I suppose.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Saraiguma posted:

settlements are awful grindy micromanagement heavy mtx sinks and absolutely made me quit

wait, how is settlement an MTX sink? do you mean the offers that sometimes show up converting soul into stuff? there's offers that do the opposite as well, and in any case both are rare-ish and not taking (or taking) them doesn't really move the needle on progression much.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, settlements aren't really mtx heavy, every deal is in your favour.
They're still grindy, bland and not very exciting, though

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

wait, how is settlement an MTX sink? do you mean the offers that sometimes show up converting soul into stuff? there's offers that do the opposite as well, and in any case both are rare-ish and not taking (or taking) them doesn't really move the needle on progression much.

there are like half a dozen soul shop upgrades off the bat with more in later ascensions and you can directly spend souls to refresh the trading post which is quite powerful

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Saraiguma posted:

there are like half a dozen soul shop upgrades off the bat with more in later ascensions

OK? Soul is a resource you get slowly by playing and getting Soul Shop upgrades is a measure of progress, new upgrades in the Soul Shop have always been a thing. I'm at Asc 20 and Soul Shop stuff goes up to 4 times each at this point, I got most stuff at 3/4 and am ignoring two of the mining ones as they are pretty bad, but in general I don't really understand how this is different with Mining for it to register as an "MTX sink". The values are super marginal too when you compare to what you get from a tuned team focused on whatever it is you want to get

Saraiguma posted:

and you can directly spend souls to refresh the trading post which is quite powerful

OK? Like, if you want to you can spend soul on keeping every potion upgrade up all the time you can but nobody does that either, so I fail to really see how this is any different. Everything mentioned here is one of those "if you pay you are skipping the game itself"-things, which is a very weird thing to have an issue with since I feel anyone who does that is quite literally not experiencing the game.

I think there's a lot to critique about FAPI but this is a weird one to go on. Game is free, prog is mostly fine if you're a daily prodder. I don't care much for mining or the town but dumping real money into refreshing offers seems like something I couldn't see anyone doing, to be honest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KazigluBey posted:

OK? Like, if you want to you can spend soul on keeping every potion upgrade up all the time you can but nobody does that either, so I fail to really see how this is any different. Everything mentioned here is one of those "if you pay you are skipping the game itself"-things, which is a very weird thing to have an issue with since I feel anyone who does that is quite literally not experiencing the game.

The game doesn't need to have $2000+ in non-consumable mtx, even if you can slowly accrue the currency in-game (but not permanently in-league, because... :capitalism:). That's whale bait and yes, some people just can't or won't control themselves to not smash those buttons. That's what makes it predatory. A single mtx per mechanic would be sort of understandable. Unlocking 1 new mechanic and getting 5+ new mtx upgrades unlocked didn't pass the sniff test for me.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

You can't even get 4/4 until Asc 20. Tiers open up as Asc is progged.

I have a hard time squaring the circle of someone being an impulse-purchase mark with 0 patience but also have the patience to actually prog to the points new instances of the Soul Shop open up - I distinctly remember that 2/2 and 3/3 were almost insta-sweeps from me off of Soul gained just to get to the point where I could spend it, as well. 4/4 is looking slow but, like, that's the game I guess.

idk man, people have been talking about predatory MTX stuff before and I'm repulsed by it as well (had the top review on Idle Pins on Steam for a while just off of posting the breakdown in how bad the MTX for it was) but it's weird to me that it comes up just regarding FAPI just now with how long people have been talking about it.

e.: also, what mechanic had 5+ new MTX? I guess if you are counting potions too, but I thought we weren't?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 24, 2024

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KazigluBey posted:

e.: also, what mechanic had 5+ new MTX? I guess if you are counting potions too, but I thought we weren't?

Cards
Pets

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, there's definitely somebody out there who dropped $100+ on pet tokens.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Toshimo posted:

Cards
Pets

You're right on Pets, Cards has 3?

Toshimo posted:

Also, there's definitely somebody out there who dropped $100+ on pet tokens.

Hopefully this hypothetical person was a Saudi prince, inshallah.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pixaal posted:

Pressing quit at least in the browser version causes it to lockup.

Browser lockup should be fixed in tonight's update, browser version shouldn't even have that button, and the documentation I was looking at said WebGL just ignored the application.quit call so I didn't bother checking, which is a bit lol in retrospect.

pixaal posted:

Onboarding needs a pass if I'd just stumbled on this I probably would have bounced before bothering to figure it out, the game is easier to work with once you get it so I'm pretty confident a good tutorial that guides you into buying the inn getting a worker and how making items increases the mine / lumberyard level which increases the production. This should be enough to nudge the user in the correct direction and get the ball rolling.

You don't even need a full annoying forced tutorial you can do it more organic with highlighting what should be the focus of attention.

I'm going the optional Tutorial route

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Anything good come out recently that isn't a Melvor or Progress Knight clone?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

1) The post above yours.
2) CIFI added an outer progression reset thingy.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
There's been a flood of Groundhog Life/Progress Knight games lately? Where at? That's been my favorite model of these.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Magic Research 2 has a lengthy demo out (progress will carry to full game, also available on Steam and Android) with the full version slated in the next couple months. Didn't 100% it or anything, but I just finished playing the first one and found it very fresh despite a few rough edges. I'm definitely down to check out a sequel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Combat event is on in Ironwood RPG.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If only the Orb of Creation guy didn't constantly rework the entire game and then burnout.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

FrickenMoron posted:

If only the Orb of Creation guy didn't constantly rework the entire game and then burnout.

I think he's a student

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I played incremental mass for the past number of days, but i've found it to be tiresome. Need to find something else that was sorta like NGU.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Unnamed Space Idle has a number of features inspired by NGU, iirc.

I've been playing ethereal farm (https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/) for the last couple of days. It's a nice strategic slow burn, surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

scaterry posted:

Unnamed Space Idle has a number of features inspired by NGU, iirc.

I've been playing ethereal farm (https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/) for the last couple of days. It's a nice strategic slow burn, surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it.

It's come up a few times over the years, I played a very early version I can't remember what exactly I bounced from hell I may have played it at two different points even. I don't think anything made me angry I think progress just slowed and I got bored when new hotness came out.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
USI has just about the right amount of gameplay elements for me personally and enough of a presentation that it's not just bars ticking up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

USI has just about the right amount of gameplay elements for me personally and enough of a presentation that it's not just bars ticking up.

Incremental Mass seemed to vary between frantic clicking to get those bonuses to periods of extreme idle waiting for that one thing before the next batch of frantic clicking. Also a lot of the modifiers and bonuses were really incomprehensible. I'll give USI a look

[edit] Is the web version of USI the same as the steam version?

Cimber fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 26, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

goferchan posted:

Magic Research 2 has a lengthy demo out (progress will carry to full game, also available on Steam and Android) with the full version slated in the next couple months. Didn't 100% it or anything, but I just finished playing the first one and found it very fresh despite a few rough edges. I'm definitely down to check out a sequel.

Oh no. 100%ing MR1 was what got me into this genre. I don't think my marriage can withstand a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh no. 100%ing MR1 was what got me into this genre. I don't think my marriage can withstand a sequel.

Sounds like it's time to prestige into a new marriage