Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The level 30 skills seem tailored to specific enemies, so probably best to grind out the one you need for whatever enemy/enemies you're planning on grinding that rebirth. Like purification for poison, disarm for enemies with long cd, hard hitting skills, etc.

Edit: one thing that feels a bit like a design failure is that the mage regen ability is often almost as good as the specialized stuff, and it doesn't scale at all so you can always get it at full power.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Broken Cog posted:

The level 30 skills seem tailored to specific enemies, so probably best to grind out the one you need for whatever enemy/enemies you're planning on grinding that rebirth. Like purification for poison, disarm for enemies with long cd, hard hitting skills, etc.

Edit: one thing that feels a bit like a design failure is that the mage regen ability is often almost as good as the specialized stuff, and it doesn't scale at all so you can always get it at full power.

Accelerated Healing is a load-bearing skill and I think the game would be agonizingly bad without it. The rest of the damage reducers are small luxuries, but combat just doesn't work without massive regen after each fight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Melvor goons-- doing my Ancient Relics run, was pleasantly surprised with how easily I breezed through the Earth and Fire God dungeons. How hard is Underwater City? I see a lot of Reddit posts saying it's a big difficulty spike but they're pretty old and it's my understanding a lot of the Atlas barrier combat stuff got nerfed. Not sure if I go for that or Mists next; Dragon+Tortoise summons got me through the other Atlas dungeons pretty easily but I haven't been grinding them for all the super-rare barrier items. I did luck out and get the +100% summon max hit relic early which probably carried me a lot.

Alternatively, what kind of prep do I need for Mists? I've got a few pieces of each God Armor at this point but don't quite have a full set of everything. I do have the dungeon equipment swap upgrade and 3 sets available. Should I be worried about food? I have a ton of sharks from slayer supply packs but every guide I've seen assumes you're eating whales which afaik aren't available in any reasonable quantities at this point in the mode.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

note for turtle game: You can buy multiple dragonfell swords. Don't. They don't upgrade, so it justs eats your money if you already have one.
not even that good on the dragon smdh

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
re: turtle game, there's something off with the damage calc, possibly order of operations, such that a significant multiplier is apparently usually worse than a flat increase (see, e.g., the nature damage rings).

The stealing skill is a must have, as are the reversal card, purifier and defensive skills. The regen skill is worthless, and in practice the skills changing the present minigame aren't worthwhile either.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 30, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Melvor goons-- doing my Ancient Relics run, was pleasantly surprised with how easily I breezed through the Earth and Fire God dungeons. How hard is Underwater City? I see a lot of Reddit posts saying it's a big difficulty spike but they're pretty old and it's my understanding a lot of the Atlas barrier combat stuff got nerfed. Not sure if I go for that or Mists next; Dragon+Tortoise summons got me through the other Atlas dungeons pretty easily but I haven't been grinding them for all the super-rare barrier items. I did luck out and get the +100% summon max hit relic early which probably carried me a lot.

Alternatively, what kind of prep do I need for Mists? I've got a few pieces of each God Armor at this point but don't quite have a full set of everything. I do have the dungeon equipment swap upgrade and 3 sets available. Should I be worried about food? I have a ton of sharks from slayer supply packs but every guide I've seen assumes you're eating whales which afaik aren't available in any reasonable quantities at this point in the mode.

Combat sim is generally my go-to mod for testing if I can do something. In the case of Underwater City, not only does it effectively mandate stance swaps, which isn't inherently a bad thing, it also has a boss with a ranged max hit of 2331 damage. That is not a typo.

Mists isn't too hard when you have a few god dungeon bits in your loadouts, it's just a DPS race and if it looks like you're going to lose you can just bail. Sharks would be fine, it's just the usual thing where you want to get the biggest chunk of HP back when you have to manual eat so you spend less time resetting your attack. If you don't have ancient magics unlocked through I do suggest this as an excellent incentive to get that done through, being able to guarantee spellcasts landing on Ahrenia makes phase 3 largely trivial.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying Cycle Idle so far. If I'm still playing once I hit the second island, I think I'll probably kick the developer some money. Interesting choices to be made, a lot of decisions with optimizing your runs between unlocking abilities, getting knowledge, getting crafting supplies, and doing card stuff.

They need to make the sort of package deals that NGU Idle and WAMI have, where you get set bonuses with a bit of essence at a discount from what the essence cost of the essence alone would be.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
turtle idle: where are the other two cards? I have Heart and Diamond. also the "lost item on the pond" for that one quest is just a rare result of fishing right, not anything fancy? I'm like at the point where boss drop rates are getting me down and I'm running out of skill points so I assume I'm doing something wrong but I'm having fun :shobon:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

turtle idle: where are the other two cards? I have Heart and Diamond. also the "lost item on the pond" for that one quest is just a rare result of fishing right, not anything fancy? I'm like at the point where boss drop rates are getting me down and I'm running out of skill points so I assume I'm doing something wrong but I'm having fun :shobon:

you need fishing level 3 to get it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saraiguma posted:

you need fishing level 3 to get it
I have rod and bait, I have to make the shiny thing too? goddamn that's a lot of boss drop to farm. thank you!

Sayara
May 10, 2009

ungulateman posted:

i'm really tired of combat bar-fill idle games. i got into CIFI because it wasn't one of those and now that i'm on the second prestige layer i got jumpscared by one, and it doesn't work properly offline to boot. please....please stop putting idle rpgs in your idlers...

That one is also really important one unfortunately. Offline progress is better now that it used to be, but you have to let it run for a few runs for it to work at all.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

hello. theresmore lives.

quote:

Version: 0.70 Ad impossibilia nemo tenetur

One notable addition is the ability to choose the difficulty level at the start of each game, with the option to change it once during each playthrough.
The difficulty levels range from easy, normal, hard, impossible, to deity.
Easy and normal difficulty levels now feature the oracle, allowing players to preview the outcome of battles based on their army composition.
Deity difficulty introduces a special structure that rewards players with extra fame for their efforts.
Additionally, the easy difficulty includes a wounded soldiers mechanic, where a portion of soldiers will return to base instead of perishing. Depending on feedback, this feature may be expanded and moved to the normal difficulty level.
Hard, impossible, and deity difficulties now come with specific achievements for overcoming obstinate enemies. To enhance combat clarity, the attack screen now displays successful spies, providing information on enemy numbers, attack, and defense.

Changes:
New difficulty system
Added the Oracle to forecast the outcome of battles
Added the Glory of the Gods to harvest more fame
Added injured in battles
Added global achievements list
Added 70 new achievements
Spy reports are shown on enemies list
Scouts can die in 60 new ways
fresh-ish from the source.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Do achievements etc from lower benefits carry to the higher ones, such that I can use normal mode to make impossible more tolerable, for instance?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

myep. running lower difficulty runs to bag easier chievos/bulk up for harder difficulty works.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

turtle idle: where are the other two cards? I have Heart and Diamond.

Spade and Clover can drop from the boss chests in Pirate Galleon (Spade) and Hallow Forest (Clover).

Still on turtle idle: what's the fourth item in the Forgotten Series? I have the rest, but they're not in any sort of order so I don't even have a guess where to start looking.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Max Peck posted:

Spade and Clover can drop from the boss chests in Pirate Galleon (Spade) and Hallow Forest (Clover).

Still on turtle idle: what's the fourth item in the Forgotten Series? I have the rest, but they're not in any sort of order so I don't even have a guess where to start looking.
I also do not have the fourth item so I cannot help. (I don't have the final three either, but I have only cleared Pirate Galleon twice and Forest not at all) - but thank you for teling me where the cards are!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are the various Treasure and Collectible items used for anything (other than the first copy of each collectible going in your collection)? Or are they just money with extra steps?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've hit a wall at the pirate ship, and there's generally wotchetiness with regard to damage calculations and boss ticket drops. I'm not sure what I should do next- grind all the garrison to max? Burn my 3 tickets to the Hallow Forest boss?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Max Peck posted:

Sacrificial dagger. Rare drop from the 2nd tier lockbox.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Jabor posted:

Are the various Treasure and Collectible items used for anything (other than the first copy of each collectible going in your collection)? Or are they just money with extra steps?
There's a book for amassing 1000 junk, although I'm not sure which of the grey-quality items it means--it might mean just the fishing junk (which is of type Material anyway) and not the grey Treasures. That's all I can think of, though.

Discendo Vox posted:

I've hit a wall at the pirate ship, and there's generally wotchetiness with regard to damage calculations and boss ticket drops. I'm not sure what I should do next- grind all the garrison to max? Burn my 3 tickets to the Hallow Forest boss?
Going all-out on consumables was the only way I got past either of the pirate bosses the first time; unfortunately, it's possible you don't have easy access to either of the two decent damaging ones at that level. The Soul Canister recipe is a drop from the second tier lockbox; Hex Tags are a little easier to get but I guess I assume you already have those since you've been talking about how needed the stealing skill is (from the pumpkin enemy in the forest, for those who haven't, though). Healing potions (even the smaller ones), food and potion for the damage type you're using.. just gotta throw everything you can muster at the problem.

Bedurndurn posted:

Sacrificial dagger. Rare drop from the 2nd tier lockbox.
That's the third item, I think? This is what I see:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

That's a completely different order from what I see.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've got the soul canister, I guess I just need more of everything to deal with the unavoidable countdown on the final dungeon boss. I thought the purify skill was valuable, but all the places where I'd want it it doesn't work...

edit: something about this game's very hosed up.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

That's a completely different order from what I see.

You just plain have one more item than I do, presumably whatever your second item is is just missing for me. Everything else seems to match?

Discendo Vox posted:

I've got the soul canister, I guess I just need more of everything to deal with the unavoidable countdown on the final dungeon boss. I thought the purify skill was valuable, but all the places where I'd want it it doesn't work...

This probably won't help convince you that it isn't hosed up, but I think the purify skill was doing damage for me as long as I had a debuff, even if the debuff wasn't removable :v: And, as a warning, you'll hate it on the forest boss even more...

Anyway, I guess I'll also remind you that you can switch equipment mid-dungeon? I don't really remember if switching to the Firekeg Cannon for bosses was actually meaningfully better, though (while using a normal speed weapon for trash so they couldn't get as many hits in).

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I got past the pirate sheep by sheeping the minibosses with only a level 5 moonlight greatsword as my weapon. I think the game wants you to farm talent points and penguins - once you have level 8ish penguin stuff the pirate ship should be pretty easy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Jabor posted:

each one adds a small bonus for being in your collection but once they're in they're cash

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I got past the pirate sheep by sheeping the minibosses with only a level 5 moonlight greatsword as my weapon. I think the game wants you to farm talent points and penguins - once you have level 8ish penguin stuff the pirate ship should be pretty easy.

Oh I have been, I'm at near the level cap with all classes, I've got everything from the penguin set maxed other than the weapon, which is at 8. By contrast, the moonlight sword is at level 3 despite similar levels of grind.

Max Peck posted:

This probably won't help convince you that it isn't hosed up, but I think the purify skill was doing damage for me as long as I had a debuff, even if the debuff wasn't removable :v: And, as a warning, you'll hate it on the forest boss even more...

Anyway, I guess I'll also remind you that you can switch equipment mid-dungeon? I don't really remember if switching to the Firekeg Cannon for bosses was actually meaningfully better, though (while using a normal speed weapon for trash so they couldn't get as many hits in).

I wanted the purify skill to actually purify things. I suspect what is going on in terms of divergent outcomes is there is some sort of hidden stat creep element somewhere in the system, inflating the stats on some enemies and certain prices according to no clear metric. At level 40 with a stacked damage mult and maxed weakness-focused equipment, I'm still getting outdamaged by the drat pirate parrots, and getting past round 3 of the skirmish is impossible. Enemy health is just too high.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

That's very odd, you shouldn't be lacking damage then - are you eating the food that gives +50% of your element to damage?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Discendo Vox posted:

I wanted the purify skill to actually purify things.

if you mouse over the effects there are a couple that specifically say 'cannot be removed'

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Max Peck posted:

that's the rare fishing weapon I think

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Saraiguma posted:

that's the rare fishing weapon I think

Can confirm, seems to have just dropped for me. I still have 9 item spaces in that collection, peculiar.

edit: okay, the rare fishing drop weapon hits as hard or harder than any of the slow weapons and has a chance to hit six times in a row, hard. It completely broke the pirate ship instantly and is better than the pirate captain's weapon drop.

neongrey posted:

if you mouse over the effects there are a couple that specifically say 'cannot be removed'

Yeah which would be great if I could have known about their existence in advance.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 31, 2024

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Can confirm, seems to have just dropped for me. I still have 9 item spaces in that collection, peculiar.

Yeah which would be great if I could have known about their existence in advance.

me too so vov

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ok the Melvor archaeology grind was pretty chill for a while but got real rough trying to farm the Ancient Forge for the tool upgrades. Burned through a whole perfect-quality map and only got 1 of 4 tools finished.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
turtle: what are the pirate coins good for? just the log where you win five flips in a row that I don't have but a magnifying glass told me about?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Ok the Melvor archaeology grind was pretty chill for a while but got real rough trying to farm the Ancient Forge for the tool upgrades. Burned through a whole perfect-quality map and only got 1 of 4 tools finished.

Ancient tools are a grind and a half, not much you can do besides make perfect maps with +1 minimum, try to boost your doubling, and buckle up. Also keep in mind that there are tool upgrades from the museum at the 50/100/150/etc breakpoints.

After ancient tools come darksteel tools which are a separate kind of hell, but you can actually do an end around those with Leprechaun/Salamander synergy and robbing the Miner; LepMander actually can get you bars from expansions you own, including darksteel.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

turtle: what are the pirate coins good for? just the log where you win five flips in a row that I don't have but a magnifying glass told me about?

if you're lucky you can also get a ring from flipping them

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saraiguma posted:

if you're lucky you can also get a ring from flipping them
well I guess I'll just keep flippin' em then!

confirm/deny: max fishing level is 3, max gathering level is 5? I have, for fishing: rod +1, bait +1, and crafted trinket +1, for gathering: prismatic mattock (+3 steal from that one enemy), potion +1, fished-up trinket +1

cause I want this rare fishing weapon and the rest of the collectibles and whatever else there is I don't know about but poo poo seems rare

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey, in turtle game, I got a recipe for a penguin aviary or something like that from a penguin dungeon box, but using it didn't seem to unlock any new recipes. Did it unlock a recipe for something I get access to later or did the game bug out?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, I haven't gotten that yet but it sounds like a garrison building, did you check there?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, you'll see it soonish if you keep progressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm not really sure how to progress right now, to be honest. I guess I HAVE to have the full penguin dungeon set to get further in the arena or maybe beat the dragon, currently I get bodied in both options and I have no other real avenues for progress, everything else I can get is maxed.