Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Joe Desperado posted:

Honestly though volume is the critical issue here. After more than 5-10 repetitions it just stops being interesting and turns into more of a grind. And not the fun kind of grind.

This, if no rebirth for example was "see how far you can get within X minutes" instead of "do the same thing 30x but longer each time", it'd be a lot more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

How can you not include Fap Titans in the OP?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Something, not sure if this is a bug but the money pit Worn Equipment result doesn't work with the second weapon slot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Womyn Capote posted:

How can you not include Fap Titans in the OP?

Because this thread is for idle games, not fap games. I mean, it's even in the title of the game.
:goonsay:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Evolve has a new challenge: Genetic Disaster. You are forced to take all four challenge genes -- No Plasmids, No Weak Crispr, No Manual Market, and No Manual Crafting -- and become a species called Valdi which has *all* the bad traits from the start. Your reward? Obviously immediate full star achievement for extincting them but you get.. 1000 Knowledge when first starting instead of 100 and +1 to Knowledge gain when you tech into Sundial. :flaccid:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sage Grimm posted:

Evolve has a new challenge: Genetic Disaster. You are forced to take all four challenge genes -- No Plasmids, No Weak Crispr, No Manual Market, and No Manual Crafting -- and become a species called Valdi which has *all* the bad traits from the start. Your reward? Obviously immediate full star achievement for extincting them but you get.. 1000 Knowledge when first starting instead of 100 and +1 to Knowledge gain when you tech into Sundial. :flaccid:

The reward isn't that awful, but Journey before Destination here.

The best part about challenges in idle games is that the only thing being truly challenged is your patience.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The bad traits aren't too stressful, it's the No Plasmid part that makes the challenge tedious.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm doing that one right now, food is a very big problem. Need tons of grain silos to keep my population from being wiped out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Not gonna lie I used the AHK script to do the challenges in NGU and it made the process slightly less painful. You still have to manually do the troll challenges so I find this an acceptable shortcut :shrug:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I didn't even realize there were challenges in Evolve so I looked up how to get them, which also showed me the achievements. Holy hell, how are you supposed to unlock everything? I'm only on my 3rd reset and despite people saying it gets quicker it's a barely negligible quicker unless you're paying hyper attention to the game. I can't imagine resetting 30+ times, let alone the special conditions like one race after another or two in a row.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

nessin posted:

I didn't even realize there were challenges in Evolve so I looked up how to get them, which also showed me the achievements. Holy hell, how are you supposed to unlock everything? I'm only on my 3rd reset and despite people saying it gets quicker it's a barely negligible quicker unless you're paying hyper attention to the game. I can't imagine resetting 30+ times, let alone the special conditions like one race after another or two in a row.

With the basic automation script and some minor attention it's not hard to get 2-3 MAD runs a day once you're a few space resets (and many crispr upgrades) in. Though I actually really don't like the bonus modifier that achievements give and hope it gets completely reworked eventually.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Or you can play Evolve like me and reset as a new race each week and just do week long runs. It's a long burn you aren't supposed to finish it instantly it's not a play it for a week idle game, it's a long term slow burner that you press something when you have some free time and need something to do. If you are trying to play it as your only or primary game you are going to be disappointed or have to script.

It's not a game for everyone, but then again idle games are broad enough that I don't think any one game can please even most fans of the genre the best you can hope for is a subset love it and some other groups find certain parts fun enough to take some playable path. Like some people play week or even month long rebirths in NGU and just progress at their own pace and are fine with it.

Part of why I like evolve is wondering where the game is going and watching the game itself develop and balance shift. I can enjoy games in some pretty weird ways, I know.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Genetic Disaster's reward seems a good one, helps breeze through the early game that much faster.
...Though, I think I'm gonna have to give it another go at some point. See if there's an achievement for getting them to space and seeding a world.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just opened a window for Evolve...:getin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok well knowledge sure is a bottleneck

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Captain Foo posted:

ok well knowledge sure is a bottleneck

For the first few runs, yeah.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
What are the rewards in general for challenges in Evolve? I'm not actually 100% on that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

One of the plasmid perks gives you .25% boost to production per achievement level. Up to four challenge levels can be added per achievement, giving you a maximum of 1.25% production per achievement. To reiterate on earlier advice, all but No Plasmid aren't too tedious to run with. Once you have bought up a number of perks and have 250-500 Plasmids stored, you will be wanting to play with 3 out of the 4 challenge genes on per run.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm alternating between a space run and a gold star run on a species I haven't yet played. I think that's a good balance once you've played for a bit.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I don't know if people are still playing Bitburner, but I made a script for advanced stock market stuff (you have to have access to the 4s API).

https://pastebin.com/p7YbxYW1

e; Cleaned up and bugfixed. Also now rebalances over time.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 11, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I need to check out Bitburner again. Last time I played I think it was still in beta.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I remember trying bitburner then realizing I can't do coding or logic nearly well enough to figure it out.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Finally all fruits at tier 24.

The McGuffin fruits kinda makes the McGuffin spells look pointless. 6 levels quickly or 8 after a full evening of single target McGuffin levels from the spell vs nearly 300 from the fruit.
8 levels quickly or 10 after a full evening of all levels vs 30-something from the fruit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ineptitude posted:

Finally all fruits at tier 24.

The McGuffin fruits kinda makes the McGuffin spells look pointless. 6 levels quickly or 8 after a full evening of single target McGuffin levels from the spell vs nearly 300 from the fruit.
8 levels quickly or 10 after a full evening of all levels vs 30-something from the fruit.

I was thinking the same thing except w/r/t the MacGuffin daycare perk. I only have FoMa up to level 18 right now but even still, a random upgrade to one of my guffs by 100 levels seems way more useful than a couple levels per day for 4 macguffins of my choosing. I can imagine this is even moreso the case when you have FoMb maxed out too.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

explosivo posted:

I was thinking the same thing except w/r/t the MacGuffin daycare perk. I only have FoMa up to level 18 right now but even still, a random upgrade to one of my guffs by 100 levels seems way more useful than a couple levels per day for 4 macguffins of my choosing. I can imagine this is even moreso the case when you have FoMb maxed out too.

But you can do both! Just put a freshly dropped MacGuffin in your daycare, forget about it for a week, and then add a few hundred free levels while replacing it with a new MacGuffin.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Or just unequip all the mcguffins you don't want to level before you use your single-target macguffin spell/fruit and then re-equip before you rebirth

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Buzkashi posted:

Or just unequip all the mcguffins you don't want to level before you use your single-target macguffin spell/fruit and then re-equip before you rebirth

This hasn't been needed since the Wish update with a couple of easy to get wishes, now single target spells/fruits will target the top left slot in the McGuffin page!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does Antimatter Dimensions ever become more than reset to make number bigger faster?

Why can't more games be like Mine Defense where there's more progression than number = bigger?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Antimatter Dimensions is being active during a certain period until you figure how to idle it more efficiently. So at first with the antimatters proper and getting some IPs to set up the autobuyers, then Breaking Infinity and expanding with Infinity Dimensions to balance your IP/min statistics, reaching Replicantis and expanding the IDs and then infinity infinities to Eternity, unlocking Time Dimensions and retroactively affecting everything else.

So it is one number that affects another that affects another and so on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I've pretty much seen every mechanic and it's just different ways to reset and go faster?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Uh, sure, I guess. It's very much a game that explores the permutations of derivatives instead of pivoting into other mechanics.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Something I've noticed in Evolve: It seems that with enough morale bonuses (Morale at 100% or higher), the penalty for high taxes (riots) won't occur. Handy!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im running a cath run now . man the research is going slow. Everything is going slow other than raiding :/

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I've successfully achieved Evolve's level 99 Supercollider achievement and the boosted storage capacity is great. Only took ~463 700 in-game days! :v:

Time to aqua/hell world myself. EDIT: Scratch that, 8 probes and I get one Hellscape, 1 Tundra, 2 Volcanics and 4! Forests.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Okay now that I'm passed the first run with Evolve I kind of "get it". That first one is AWFUL with how long it can take to get knowledge, or to see some research you desperately need but you're blocked off by a small amount of knowledge cap, but you can't get more because something else is capped, and you can't get more of that because you need to raise the cap on something ELSE to buy more barns, so then you have to do pillages and completely babysit the market/trading to get this one material to keep going, etc. etc. The second runthrough feels MUCH better though, having the plasmid and temples is a massive bonus. Not even a day's worth of stuff in and I have like twice as much knowledge/s as I did at the very end of my first.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay now that I'm passed the first run with Evolve I kind of "get it". That first one is AWFUL with how long it can take to get knowledge, or to see some research you desperately need but you're blocked off by a small amount of knowledge cap, but you can't get more because something else is capped, and you can't get more of that because you need to raise the cap on something ELSE to buy more barns, so then you have to do pillages and completely babysit the market/trading to get this one material to keep going, etc. etc. The second runthrough feels MUCH better though, having the plasmid and temples is a massive bonus. Not even a day's worth of stuff in and I have like twice as much knowledge/s as I did at the very end of my first.

It gets a lot faster and smoother, except at one point when you might want to do the Genetic Dead End challenge (it's just up to MAD and there's no benefit to going any further). You'll want to have the Dimensional Warping upgrade, Artificer>Detail-Oriented>Rigorous and some phage before even trying, though. I did it immediately after my first seeding with only the crafting upgrades, 678 plasmids and 22 phage because I hate myself and crave suffering.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Samuringa posted:

Antimatter Dimensions is being active during a certain period until you figure how to idle it more efficiently. So at first with the antimatters proper and getting some IPs to set up the autobuyers, then Breaking Infinity and expanding with Infinity Dimensions to balance your IP/min statistics, reaching Replicantis and expanding the IDs and then infinity infinities to Eternity, unlocking Time Dimensions and retroactively affecting everything else.

So it is one number that affects another that affects another and so on.

It was a rather slow start but I'm having a decent enough time right now holding the MAX button and watching numbers go up. I just broke through last night to the point where runs went from 1 hour, to 30 minutes, to ~3 seconds as of this morning so I can feel things picking up. I am kinda curious to see where it goes from here because I imagine there's some menus that aren't visible to me right now at this stage in the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It helps a bit to follow this guide, at least because of some sections where the game would punch you in the nuts if you were unprepared. It's not exactly a "follow exactly these steps and get this exact outcome" like Realm Grinder, more like a "If you are around this point, doing this is going to help"

https://antimatter-dimensions.fandom.com/wiki/Guide

There isn't much to miss or mess up until around you Break Infinity, but some of the challenges prior can be a headache and the ones after can be somewhat mindboggling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Samuringa posted:

It helps a bit to follow this guide, at least because of some sections where the game would punch you in the nuts if you were unprepared. It's not exactly a "follow exactly these steps and get this exact outcome" like Realm Grinder, more like a "If you are around this point, doing this is going to help"

https://antimatter-dimensions.fandom.com/wiki/Guide

There isn't much to miss or mess up until around you Break Infinity, but some of the challenges prior can be a headache and the ones after can be somewhat mindboggling.

I appreciate it, it looks like this is taken from a Reddit post I was reading for a general idea of what I should be doing and it's been extremely helpful. I haven't done the last two challenges yet because they're more complicated than "this run will just take longer" but will probably start on working on those later tonight. My eyes kind of glaze over when I look into the details of how the numbers work but this is good to know just about where I should be at in this stage of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Any tips for starting out in NGU? EXP priority and such? Things 1000% worth getting from sellout shop?

Currently pushing towards beating boss 37 to unlock more stuff (waiting on augmentations)

EDIT: I already fell for the mystery prize trap