Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Synergism is real good and doesn't really feel unfinished outside of content just stopping. Definitely more active incremental game than most and requires some careful reading of upgrades to really understand them (and in couple cases, how to really use them). Interface is bit wonky at times (stuff like optimal times being in different tab than where those times are used) and would likely be better with full redesign, but it is serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Today I stopped playing Antimatter Dimensions as I found going to Eternities and needing to do fiddly challenges again too annoying. It was very entertaining game until that point, even if it is wildly swingy in "idle / active gameplay" axis.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Extreme mode feels very glitchy, as costs shown randomly jump upwards (or, even worse, do not update to correct value at all but still require the unshown value).

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 19, 2020

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Idle-merge (Incremental-merge?) is very active idle game and doesn't have too many interesting decisions for player, which makes it bit disappointing. There is not real decisions to make before third reset layer which is too little too late, IMO.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 20, 2020

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Dragongem posted:

I bounced off of Another Chronicle. I love the RPG/stats progression motif but man it was both super grindy and required an absurd amount of babysitting.

I share the sentiment, and also found that outside of some crossroad choices in the story, there is only one correct way to progress.

The Fool posted:

Arcanum/Theory of Magic maybe, if you haven't played that already.

https://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

It's not being developed anymore, but that should be the most recent stable build.

There is more recent version developed by another developer after original stopped.

https://shokkuno.gitlab.io/arcanum/

This game too, suffers from needing babysitting and clicking being super useful mechanic through the game.

And, ironically enough, kinda opposite of Another Chronicle, as sometimes there is too many ways to progress.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 16, 2020

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Incremental Skill Tree is neat little game. Not too interesting, but if you want to click buttons and make numbers go up for few hours (my game time was bit over 3 hours with tad unoptimal play), it might be worth playing.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Evolve feels like Kittens Game's less coherent cousin.

Spreading Kittens / citizens to various jobs? Check.
Resource caps and half of struggle is raising these caps? Check.
Crafted resources that require constant clicking or there will be waste? Check.
Weird rear end progression? Check.

So, does Evolve turn more different or interesting later on?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I started Trimps and played it to 500s, where it turns into just grinding repeating runs, and then dropped it again.

Now I picked up Synergism again and was surprised how quickly it actually progresses. And also managed to miss those two upgrades that depend heavily on Transcensions count... again.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

something posted:

wait. why is natively displaying in 1080p considered a troll? am i missing something?

Well, windowed 1080p will not fit 1080p screen, so it feels bit unpolished that way.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
The one thing I am curious about is that why use the time mechanic on production at all?

Buildings producing "x fidgets / sec" would be easier to program and understand, and (so far?) would not have changed anything.

Edit.

I would also love to see more highlights, things like: This technology is researchable. There is enough resources to do this. Replacing this tile with that would lead into this resource production state.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 7, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I think I like the game better than a lot of people here, it's just very much an early access game and I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of it.

Or people who are happily playing it are not the ones that come out to say it...

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Buildings having placement cost might stop players from constantly fiddling with their setup, but that does make trying out things annoying. Fix for that would be having somekind of planning mode, which would show results of that setup, but that sounds both tad confusing and miserable to code. Edit: Paying to increase the cap of the building type might be half-way workable solution.

Each planet being limited to producing their own resources could be neat. Perhaps more advanced planets' buildings would consume end resources of earlier planets. Stuff like meat mines consuming rockets or something. Then that small production of next planet would unlock research from earlier planets, boosting them, making this feedback loop system.

But... both of these would require so much remaking that even I, the idea guy, got exhausted just thinking of rework required to implement these.

:shrug:

On positive note, I really like how your art has progressed.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Pondering this a bit, it might actually be true that the red number is what "forces" player to deal with it. That red number is very visible, it doesn't show the scale of lackness and it is usually easy, but somewhat tedious to fix.

Comparing to something like Factorio and belts getting emptied before all of the machines are getting their fix: It is not easy to instantly spot, takes some effort to fix and is one of main gameplay loops in Factorio.

But in NGU:I (or any other idle game, really), I quickly open the game to buy some technology (good) and then check and note that glue is running (bad) out because of something consuming more of it (bad) to produce more of something (good). I check what resource production can be sacrificed for glue production (tedious). If I don't quickly find one that can be sacrificed without that going on negative I need to cut down on research (bad). I increase glue production and now glue ore is running out (bad) and I do the same thing to that (bad). All that to go from +220% to +230% production of some thing, which speeds up buying next tile from 38 minutes to 37 minutes (which I don't even know without pulling out calculator). And all that every 30 minutes.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
It would be neat if Muslukk Pit's resource icons would be highlighted if getting PPs is possible. This would greatly shorten the bother of looking for something to sacrifice.

xiw posted:

NGUI: I wouldn't mind an animation or a glow at least when buildings are working, or a keyboard shortcut to show buildings that are running.

The opposite, showing when building is not working might be better?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I started playing NGU Idle again. I kinda forgot how much future features the game shows, causing confusion at times.

something posted:

Each work order size modifies the expected % usage of your map, it goes from 10% with tiny work orders up to i believe "100%" for chonks. (Expected is a very loosey goosey term since beacons and consumables do NOT factor in aka using them will objectively speed up the work order)

x% of tiles producing just that resource or for the whole tree?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Note that Orb of Creation has problem with saving if Firefox's Enchanced Tracking Protection is on!

The feature can be disabled by pressing the shield button left to the address bar at the relevant webpage.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I just finished NGU Idle. I had stopped playing it twice before. But now I actually managed to finish it too.

:toot:

Thanks for great game, Something.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
The new version of Orb of Creation doesn't seem to have much more extra content but the prior content is better balanced out.

While I tended to have the feeling that I was not doing the most optimal progress path I was always progressing forward one way or another. So it is nice that way.

Edit:

VVVVVV: Well that explains why I did not find any new content.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 16, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Increlution is interesting idle game. While it is not possible to make it continuously idle forever, this is likely master stroke of design, as it keeps stops different play styles from demanding different things from the balance.

I really enjoy the aspect of earlier parts of game getting totally automated, as early game management tends to kill games with rapid prestiging.

Edit.

There is nice feeling on seeing seconds get shaved off every run.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 19, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Increlution progress update: I now have the first chapter fully automated. :cool:

Not doing everything there could make for faster and better runs... But is it even a idle game if I don't stubbornly push forward with sub-optimal play? :colbert:

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

How did ya'll set up the automators for chapter 1? I'm still unlocking them.

Mine are usually at:

Low: Construction resources
Regular: Exploration
High: Food ingredients, Construction
Top: Food

This makes sure that everything that has long term benefit will be done before leaving the area. It might not be useful but it maximises the run length and minimizes manual management.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Keeping everything on is the lazy way. It is also amusing to be eating berries at late chapter 2, and cooking 100 fishes per second. :colbert:

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
This is far too large design change to make into Increlution, but as a another evolution on the idea:

How about runs always happening in a single chapter? That is, when previous chapter is finished player gets option to move to next chapter or to repeat the current chapter. Player could later go back to earlier chapters to prestige (play them again) for better / different results, enabling better / different results in later chapters too. This would provide better support for branching storylines too.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Heh, Increlution was really close on forcing me to actually decide between combinations of three things, but there is actually enough resources available to get all three. By the time I was able to leave the area I could also get the extra resources, so no reason not to take all of them...

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

MussoliniB posted:

Regarding Increlution, I’m in chapter 3, I believe. I’m curious if this game ever fundamentally changes…

As of chapter 5: No, not really. There is some extra gatekeeping mechanics here and there but nothing fundamentally different. I think some of those gatekeeps mostly force player to build carts (or grind enough) to overcome the problem.

I don't think story goes anywhere crazy either, even though person collecting food, building raft and sailing to next island in 15 seconds should probably be seen as major force of nature.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

mearn posted:

I'm torn on auto-restart. It'd be convenient but probably too powerful. You'd be able to make too much progress letting it run overnight I think, since you get a bit better with every rebirth. Going to bed and waking up with ~15 rebirths taking place would be a huge jump.

It would completely destroy the flow of the game, as balancing on either possibility would be incompatible with the other. (And auto restarts would also likely stop on new non-automated parts anyways...?)

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 26, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Your Chronicle is much more tolerable on the second reincarnation, as better automatization gets unlocked. I really wish the game had action automatization unlocked earlier.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Loop Odyssey crashed on me, losing me day of progress because of save corruption.

So I guess that is that. No way I am going to repeat that.

IMO, the game doesn't really support experimenting with short runs that much because of clumsy UI and adding new orders also gets laggy with long runs, so that is pain too.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

You have a bunch of save slots to screw around with alternate runs, and I never noticed any lagginess with new orders. Sucks about the lost save though.

There was noticeable input lag on adding new orders (game halts for moment) after doing screen and half of all stuff for me. It got particularly bad after adding those 100 scarecrow actions.

Clumsiness of UI was needing to use the buttons to the side instead of directly clicking on the screen. Having to click on the tile to see what of three actions to use was nuisance too. Being unable to predict how the run goes before the run has gone to that point doesn't exactly help either.

So I would add some actions the queue. Then run the orders to the end to see what I should do in the current tile. Then I add new actions and repeat. It is horrible tedious system. Particularly so when entering new screens.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Increlution got more content around week back.

It keeps on being what it was before but there has also been expansion on decisions player can make. Runs now have more possible goals, which makes playing strategically more interesting. The fact that getting more than 30 minutes of idle progress is difficult makes it very specific type of idle / incremental game.

Neat little game that is well polished and worth the 2.39€ it costs.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I wonder if I am missing some way to progress in Research Idle.

I am at E850 Energy and for last twelve hours or so I have slowly been auto-prestiging (and sometimes not to see how it effects) upwards in Energy charts. I have been buying Fire upgrades and Juices as I can afford them but other than that I don't really see any progress happening easily. I am lacking White, Black and Golden Flash Effect boosters, but those three are entirely unpractical go towards.

Am I just supposed to sit there from E600 to E900+ Energy?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
On Research Idle: I hadn't automated (or invested anything in) Golden Flasks Accerelator.

:dumbbravo:

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Does anyone know what do different elements (Air, Fire, Earth, Water) do in Magic Research?

The help isn't very helpful about this.

E: VVVV: Thanks

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 10, 2023

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I haven't gotten to any secret end boss, but how do you defeat the dragon that constantly casts "Electric Shutdown" and "Magic Fuzziness" (or whatever they're called) the first time without babysitting potions?

Self Dispel being mass casted by Apprentices fixes those. (Too bad same thing doesn't do anything against Silence).

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Gooboo feels strangely... "sterile"? Flavourless? Not exactly sure why I am not liking it, but I guess I will drop it (for now).

Zotix posted:

How do you level the potion?

Brew the same potion again. Note that price increases for every completed potion of that type.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Idle Weaponshop:

Are employees refresh and hourglass values supposed to be progressing while online? Currently they aren't for me.

Picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Pylons posted:

https://idlemancery-v2.vercel.app/ I found this one which I've really enjoyed. Kind of a take on Orb of Creation but a bit more digestible.

The beginning seems to be annoyingly slowly paced, otherwise interesting this far.