Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

A fresh game AND a fresh Steam account. Once you click that cookie you're marked for life.

Well last i checked SAM still works so it would be trivial to undo that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

dodeca dragons literally just hit 1.0 last week, anyways challenges become automated and not a thing fairly quickly but that section does suck while you are doing it, i think it's pre sigils even you just automatically get max score from challenges

edit: it's blue sigils

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 25, 2023

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

from the discussions

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1822550/discussions/0/3954784199572066824/ posted:

No sorry the demo was taken down for the time being. I plan to add a new version of demo at some point which would allow players to seamlessly continue to the main game - but this will require some amount of work. At this moment the priority is to support the Early Access.

Yes I agree this is inconvenient especially in this genre, however I feel the current demo does not reflect the full game content properly. While having demo up may 'improve sales' for some cases it could create a lot of confusion for others - so it felt more fair to turn it off until it can be synced with main game. If I had the option to support both EA and demo along the way I would have preferred it, but it was not practically possible and thus the demo grew out of sync.

i would be interested in a demo before committing but since its in EA im in no hurry and can wait for them to release one they feel is better aligned

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Sayara posted:

It depends. If you're more of an idle type of guy you'll probably do fine wihout IAPs. If you're active I'd be ready to lay down $2 to get rid of ads, as chests for two currencies are fairly big deal, and watching 2 minutes of ads every 5 minutes just sucks rear end.

yeah i gave them the money for no ads but haven't felt the need to do otherwise, they even have a channel on the discord for macroing the chests if you desire (which defeats the purpose of the auto chest iap they sell)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Same, I feel like the township idea is a good opportunity for a sectioned off co-op sorta thing where people could contribute towards a goal and get some rewards like consumables or whatever but not have it be an automatic win condition if you're in the big reddit clan or whatever.

this is what amaranthine did so well, the unfortunate part is that its not good as an idle/incremental. it has many annoyances that exist to prevent it being a proper idle/incremental game.

I've been sketching out design for a bit now about an community based idler. The premise being you can all work together and contribute to a greater whole allowing for specialization and ability to coop. I have seasons/resets as a way to ensure permanent stores are reset and ideally end goals are set by community preference and size.

i think similar to how groups will start Minecraft or Terraria or any of those survival coops.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

melvir is best as a figure it out game imo, do not read that guide for a first go as you'll fall into an efficiency trap.

the game gives lots to think about and can give analysis overload but it's been fun figuring out what works from what you can see and removing that doesn't by having the 'maximally efficient' answer is going to poison you against following your own path and forming it your own solutions, improvements etc

The big thing is how everything is tied together re skill interactions and making your own path to your own goals. Township and casual tasks are good for providing short and long-term goals with rewards

if you don't enjoy that sort of analysis overload and breadth then melvor wont be for you and following guides to be maximal makes it into a rote boring game where the rng will start to frustrate you long before end game finishing out the collection era

edit: here are my mods, basically i think the Best Info Mods and QOL are non-negotiable but ofc ymmv

Best Info Mods:
ETA - Fantastic mod, it gives you ETAs to hit target skill levels by hovering over the xp/h, mxp/hr, pool/hr stats. You can customize the target per skill and also shows how much of that resource you'd need to do so. Great for overnight planning and for saving 8hr+ tasks till then
Item Uses - Shows what the uses for any particular item are (annoyingly you have to know or check the wiki by default)
Show Item Sources And Uses - A little more comprehensive as it also shows sources (needs an additional click to show which is why I use Item Uses above which is on main screen when you select an item)
Show Skill Modifiers - Lets you click XP/Master/Interval icons to see complete listing of your skill bonuses for any skill
Tiny Icons - Puts tiny skill icons next to passives, nice visual indicator of what it will affect
[Myth] Sidebar - Shows XP progress for that level on the sidebar, also lets you hide each category similar to combat

Personal Choice Info Mods:
Reveal Unlocks - Shows you level-locked content alongside the level it would be unlocked at, can be useful for figuring out what skill target to hit
Combat Indicators - Gives indicators on the health bar for max hit, auto eat and option to change colour if you could die
SEMI Drop Chances - Shows thieving/combat/artefact drop chances
Shop Item Owned Indicator - Indicates if you own an item from the shop (like skillcapes etc)

Best Quality of Life Mods:
QuickShards - Lets you single click buy an amount of shards necessary to create that many summoning tablets (IMO basically necessary if you ever interact with summoning which you should)
Better Summoning Menu - Only shows synergies that would affect the current skill when opening the summoning menu
Will I Die? - Lets you target any mob/dungeon and figure out if you'll die with your DR and autoeat vs their damages

Personal QoL Mods:
Reveal Thieving Loot - Lets you see what you can steal off targets without having to have stolen it once
Floating Items - Pin items to the UI so you can quickly reference them or check counts etc.
Bank Tab Icons - Adds 0 cost icons to the shop for setting up your bank tab icons
Shining Star - Gives various graphic changes to constellations depending on if they are semi-maxed or fully maxed
Quick Donate Artefacts - Lets you donate all undonated artefacts with one click (marginally useful only when first running archaeology)

Others to keep in mind:
Item Descriptions Expanded - Just adds item descriptions to the game, seems fine and adds a little but i haven't seen/vetted them at all
[Myth] Combat Simulator - Really lets you simulate the combat for any specific scenario. Handy for theorizing some things. Uses game data and simulating large amounts will take time
SEMI Auto Master - If you find mastery management an absolute slog/chore then might as well use this, it will make mastering individual things in skills much faster when you are filling the mastery pool constantly.
SEMI Auto Sell - Setup and autosell garbage you dont need, note: there is use for junk items from fishing or generic artefacts
Skilling Closet - Lets you setup presets for each skill that you can then equip with a button - This is not adding 'equipment swaps' which are spare inventory but instead just apply the preset to your current slot when clicked
Skill Boosts - Tired of trying to remember/find the item that gives you a boost in this skill and you forgot to pin it in quick equip? This mod gives you a dropdown which lists everything that can affect the skill as well as if you have it equipped/available/able to get but dont have/locked behind/
Skip Township Casual Tasks For Free - Not sure why there is a Gold cost associated with skipping considering there is already the opportunity cost of not doing the task and needing to wait for a new one to roll anyways. Up to you if you care enough, im never gonna do that particular task anyways and having a slot permanently taken up because im too cheap is annoying

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 21, 2023

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

In Melvor, I spent a bunch of coin on another bank tab but I don't seem to have another bank tab? Whats the deal I feel like I did something dumb

Bank tabs are the organizing things at the top, they are not bank slots, slots are shared among all bank tabs

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

recently stumbled upon Idle Iktah, a mobile game that's pretty interesting, starts off seemingly melvor but has quest lines, some personality and unlocking new skills, features as you go.

Its really focused on you being part of a community and helping build it up, sort of harvest moon/stardew like.

The dang icon caught my eye cause i can't stop getting rainbow baited and it turned out to be a cool idler

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

OrangeOrbit posted:

Thanks for recommending this. I had a hard time getting into Melvor when I tried it several years ago, but am really enjoying this even though I think the underlying game is pretty similar.

np! its so wonderfully chill and I really enjoy the community aspect. It seems a shame to see it drowned out in the app stores by millions of "5000 FREE PULLS PLAY IDLER NOW!" games or the ones that are extremely mtx/iap heavy.

i found out they do have a website so im gonna link it as I know its more likely for people to check something out with a link or visuals
https://grounded.games/idle_iktah.html

also looks like melvor is getting a new expac sometime in Q2 this year, so uh now im wondering if i should finish up ToTH before then or not? seems to be pretty siloed off based on what they said and im extremely curious how they are gonna implement skill trees. Normally I hate skill trees that are just "+0.5% chance to X while Y" but it could be interesting in melvor which is 1. an idler and 2. all about stacking that garbage

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

kaaj posted:

I'm a sucker for native apps more than anything but I guess I'll need to switch if crashing persists.

just an fyi the native versions are nodejs or another js engine with html and CSS for display. it uses some frameworks but it's basically the exact same as they browser version minus any browser specific js behaviour (many browsers by default halt js when not in focus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

I didn't ever beat the first one with any degree of finality because the bosses all got more finnicky as you go

not sure I'm looking forward to it if that's the pitch

120 spells is too many spells

i am hoping the spell management and automation is more robust and that combat bosses don't basically require manual playing except for a few specific strats