Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

While we're talking Evolve, is there a rule of thumb for rebirthing? I unlocked it for the first time, but I've been spending one last stretch trying to bump Knowledge up high enough to grab Shotgun Sequencing in case it gives me another plasmid. I suppose I'm spending too long grinding, but if I'd restarted at 130pop I'd be going out with 1 plasmid instead of like 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rynoto posted:

Spent knowledge (on research) only has a minor effect on plasmid gain compared to population and barracks. For your first MAD reset you want to use it as soon as you'll get ~100 plasmids and ~150 afterwards.

Holy cow, 100??? Hmkay, I'm glad I didn't pre-emptively hit it then... I didn't even know that population went into it. Thanks for clarifying ^^

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Chakan posted:

It's ((pop + soldiers) / 3) + Knowledge Bonus. Knowledge bonus is just "1 plasmid for first 100K knowledge spent, * 1.1 for each additional plasmid." The space reset has a multiplier of 1.015 instead, and gives another prestige currency, phage.

Wait, is there a way to view how many plasmids I get upon rebirth? I'd been assuming that the amount under my Plasmid resource (which is currently 5) was it, but I have well over 300 dudes by this point so I'm theoretically already good to restart.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

pixaal posted:

hover over the button, it's in the tooltip

Ooh derp, I should've rebirthed ages ago; thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a reset/prestige mechanic? I feel like I bungled bigtime by picking the herbalist job right at the getgo, it appears to do nothing all that useful.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay cool, thanks- just making sure I hadn't screwed myself out of a core progression thingie.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Where the Witchcraft class purchase says "Locks: [macbeth quote]", is that just a flavorful way of going "You can only pick one T1 class"?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wait, so looking at the chart elementalist seems like the obvious T1 choice because it's the only one that unlocks things you can't get otherwise, but I guess that's not worth it compared to the magician/witch's houses and stuff?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh gotcha, that makes sense- thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy poo poo, spirit lore is a frigging game-changer: keeping whisper and unseen servant up solves so many early problems.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are there any obvious class picks for T2-4? I kinda wish they offered a preview of what their thing was before committing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Eldercain posted:

I think the charm is to just pick something and go, they're all fine

Cool, that's easy enough- thanks ^^

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Potions can't be hotkeyed, right? I always feel silly hovering in Equip to click the stamina thingies when I'm in adventure mode.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there anything interesting in Lore after 30? I have like 9 extra levels I could train in, but I don't wanna waste hours that could go into elemental stuff if it's all empty.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, refreshing did something buggy to my savegame and re-enabled the option to buy lower-tier classes, so now I have almost all the t2 and t3 classes. The upside is that I have a truly grotesque amount of skills and options, but it somehow skunked my stamina regen so I went from +1.something/s to -0.1/s and nothing seems to change it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

There's an upgrade at 30 lore that kills your stamina regen to give a bonus to planes lore and various evil skills.

Ooh that'll do it- that must've been one of the things I clicked through without glancing at it. Thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, I'm restarting to un-bug my thing- what did you guys do for money early on if you don't roll with trickster? I remember that being my big bottleneck for the longest time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

owning 5 creeping vines gives 2 gold per second when you sell the herbs. Going into air asap gives you access to the unseen servant spell for another 2 gold per second.

Oh cool, that's easy enough- thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does magician have any advantage over witch as the t1 unlock? I wanna try something different but 'm really super-reluctant to do without the witch's OP houses.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Witch seems to be by far the best t1 unless arcane trickster or reanimator do anything super special.

Hmkay that's about what I figured, thanks! ^^

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does anyone know what the requirement to unlock Whisper is? I'm restarting so I can be evil and see more lategame stuff, and I always end up running out of skill points 3-5 skills before I get whisper.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh hey, that's easy enough- thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a list of skill caps anywhere? I'm getting to the end-of-t4 annoying phase where most skills are somewhere around 10-20, and training them past that will either take hours of holding enter or days of idling one specific thing, so it'd be nice to know what if anything (besides lore 30) is worth taking over 20.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh cool, that's exactly what I was looking for- thank you!! Man, this game owns but I wish it was either easier to idle, or better-documented.

Of course, it updates like 50 times a day so I'm not complaining. ^^

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Crafting 15 is what unlocks it, I think.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm trying to make an spooky skeleton man, does anyone know what the requirements are to unlock the bone mongerer or dreadlord? I witched for t1, and I'm pushing all the dead body stuff, summoning, and shadowlore as high as I can get 'em with furniture but so far no dice.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Blattdorf posted:

What's Arcanum? Googling it only brings up the old RPG Arcanum.

As for NGU, I like it a lot. It reminds me of Idling to Rule the Gods in terms of interface, but it's so much more than that, thankfully. I'm a big fan of paradigm shifts and there always seems to be something new to work towards.

By the way, is there a way to send a dollar or two without buying anything specific? I don't want to get AP boosts or anything like that because I don't play idle games to skip ahead by any means. Cosmetics, on the other hand, are most welcome.

It's the new, cool thing: http://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

Pros: fun, tons of stuff, can max it out in a day or two, dev guy pushes like a million updates/day, can eat children.

Cons: poorly documented, buggy as heck, more active than idle, some gameplay stages are a slog.

Check it out and become one of us!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's the skill combination that gives you ghost scribes and compilers? Is it spirit lore + summoning + air lore?

Besides stuff that's gonna get ironed out with iteration (combat, minions being as far as I can tell prohibitively clunky to use), I think my only real complaint is that a few of the skill things like whisper and ghost writing is so absurdly useful as to be effectively mandatory while simultaneously being easy to completely miss.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So holy poo poo, I somehow triggered a bug that lets me buy unlimited unholy candles and now every dungeon is just a matter of mapping the highest-damage shadow spell I have to like 5 hotkeys and hammering them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ashnjack posted:

Crap. That’s a bug? I now have like 800 shadow and I regen like 20 a second. I burned like 50,000 gold on it so I thought it was just an endgame thing

I think so, because a few updates ago it stopped letting me buy new candles. I think fireplaces are still unlimited though, so you could always just grind your fire up high enough that no amount of spamming pyromancy will overcome your regen rate.

Meanwhile I finished everything except for the catacrypts, which I gave up on when he pushed a new update that made you unable to eat children and rest while running a dungeon. I'll be really interested to see what he comes up with after thoroughly planning out and re-implementing this thing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Could I get some advice on spending PP? I have a decent haul after not looking at this for almost a year, the top row's maxed out (except for the rich jerks thing), and I bought all of the inventory/accessory spaces and one of the gold digger slots. Everything else kinda blurs together though, so I'm not sure where my points will have the most impact.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yoinked both! I still have like 1,000 PP sitting around so I'm probably going to bank it until I see something obviously useful, but holy crap coming back to this game after a while is overwhelming.

Speaking of which, is there a guide anywhere for exp distribution? I have a truly disgusting amount saved up, and I completely forget what the ratios are for spending it. (I'm at level 121 and idling to build the mega lands set if that's useful, but I assume exp is always spent in a mostly same-ish direction.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

how much is a disgusting amount, if you have like 1000 pp and are in the mega lands, you probably could get a bunch of the adventure QOL stuff + extra beard slot and then start sinking it into energy/magic

Well, disgusting for the returns my brain was calibrated for pre-break. I'm sitting on a little over 1.4 million exp, and here are my guy's stats:

(Note that wandoos/ngu/augments/etc have been running for nearly a year, so the current totals are unrealistically high relative to what I usually get during a new rebirth.)

And yeah, I yoinked all of the adventure specials except for the Another Another Daycare Slot, and I'm waiting to buy new Yggdrasil seeds until my energy and magic are high enough to automate them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Buying adventuring stats with exp is schmuck bait, right? I'm better off doing the 1:40k:1 ratio to goose up my energy/magic until I'm literally swimming in unnecessary points?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay cool, that's good to know- thanks guys! :)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Can I safely trash the ring of apathy once it hits 100? I'm really unclear whether autokill requires it in my inventory, or just maxxed out in the item list.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

Autokill only needs it to be maxed out, it's okay to trash once it's 100 and you have enough stats to casually autokill.

I still keep it in my inventory as a memento like a doofus.

Awesome, thanks!

And yeah, I'm at the point where I have enough inventory space that I probably shouldn't sweat the odd slot or two, but my inner OCD guy constantly campaigns for a 100% clean inventory ready to be filled with goofy nonsense.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a point at which doing the troll challenges isn't awful? The benefits look great but I have a really low threshold of annoyance for NGU's troll stuff and really don't want to push through a bunch of nonsense.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

With Yggdrasil is it more optimal to pour all of my seeds into maxing Pomegranate first, or will the sharply climbing costs mean that I get more seeds over time by keeping every fruit roughly at seed cost parity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

Max Fruit of Gold first because the cost is cheap, then max Pom. That's the optimal route. I will admit to putting a couple of levels here and there just because it's nice to collect some fruits after waking up or coming home from work.

Cool, thanks... I assume the same thing applies once I have enough revenue to afford Watermelon?