Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

omeg posted:

Is there a way to make Evolve playable on mobile? The resource table is in my bottom left corner, truncated after a couple lines and I can't see the most of it. Tried switching between mobile and desktop mode but that did nothing (android).

I couldn’t figure it out so I play Theresmore instead on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Really enjoying Ethereal Farm. If you like optimizing layouts you’ll probably love it. It’s a web browser game that displays just fine on mobile. Simplicity that leads to complexity so I am constantly scribbling out possible layout combinations. More types then this, but an easy to understand example is Mushroom types need to have a Berry type next to them to produce. But then a Nettle type will greatly boost Mushroom production, but negatively impact Berry type production if next to them. So I am always tinkering with my layout designs with my type groupings to get the best results.

https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

pixaal posted:

It's come up a few times, last time it had the same old issue of being solid at first then assumes you have min maxed discord builds.

Play until you are bored most idle games. I mean maybe the dev has gone over the early game, even the Trimps dev eventually redid the early game after being new content only for the first few years.

If the problems are gone like half the thread has probably said they enjoyed the start.

I haven’t hit a wall yet with Ethereal Farm yet and still enjoying it. Certainly not playing super minmaxed builds either as I try to avoid spoiling it since coming up with layouts is the best part and I haven’t had any issues yet. The game does get updated regularly so I wonder if that greatly reduced some of the issues people had. For example there was some fern/twig trick mentioned in the changelog that was removed from the game and then whatever it did was naturally buffed into the game without having to do a trick.

It also seems to do a good job of introducing Challenges right when it seems like I am hitting a wall, which is super nice since I have to create a brand new strategy to solve it plus then reap productions rewards for normal mode after completing it. I wonder if that didn’t exist early on or didn’t benefit people as much in the early going.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

SynthesisAlpha posted:

"Challenges" should not be "the exact same game with some math penalty that doesn't change anything about how the game is played".

Too many idle games are simply a linear path of upgrades with zero meaningful choice. Just buy the thing that lights up and do the one thing that makes the number go up at any given point.

Making good idle games is really fuckin hard.

I checked out Progress Quest Remastered that just got released and man it has nothing.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Cats and Soup maybe? Even better it has a free Netflix version.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Merge Mayor might be good then? It has graphics, not really aggressive about spending and has leaderboard side events. I dunno if the Cats and Soup I mentioned before has any leaderboard stuff, wasn’t my jam.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I just went to grade level D and that seems to generate enough books to get plenty of upgrades when I remember to actually go to the school tab. If there was a limit to how many times you get to play or if you have to get so many correct to get the exp I would be with you, but it doesn’t so if it takes you a few extra attempts so be it, the timer is irrelevant. I only stopped at D because progress got slower and getting 12 books an hour has been plenty.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Ah man I was really enjoying the game but my game got wiped somehow. I do have a save backed up but I still lost a lot of progress so might be a big enough bummer that I drop the game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
A different way of thinking about it is you are focusing on resource production. You end up still approaching maxing out certain buildings and or expanding storage, but you do it in an order based on whatever is limiting you. And probably the highest priority target is trying to build those that generate resources you don’t have yet. So if you are trying to get water production going with a Well, you’ll naturally build all the housing, storage, resource buildings that you need to finally build a well.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Sivart13 posted:

I'm also really frustrated with the UI at this point, the upgrade tabs with their pointlessly-paginated lists that doesn't give any indication which things are ready to upgrade. Even if this was something I only checked in on a couple times a day, it takes a lot of clicking and scrolling each time.

edit: I see from the Itch comments you can effectively turn off pagination which is... better? I dunno, something about how information is presented in this game is frustrating.

Yeah there’s a setting for how many display on a page so crank that baby up. Not sure what you mean though for lack of indication on ready to upgrade. If it’s red you don’t have enough, white is good to go and orange is you need to increase your cap. And the button is dark for Buy if you can’t.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2023

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Gooboo dev said an expansion for Village and then overhauling Horde is next.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not sure how you can be that level but never beaten 20. Do you know equipment has triggered effects if you click on them in battle?

Also you get monster parts when above 100 so I just go back to level 10 when I want parts.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I mean the dev isn’t necessarily off base on not wanting people to feel pressure to be playing nonstop to progress. But you just need active gains to be closer to idle and or have a side mechanic that active play benefits towards. You don’t nerf active play that kills progression, you boost idle play to be closer to active and add more doors so to speak. Woops.

Anyway between gooboo and the idle mechanic question it made me check out Ethereal Farm again which I really enjoy because I love its approach to all these questions. I think it threads the needle well with active play vs idle, especially since it is a layout game so even if I am not actually engaged with the game itself, I am still technically playing because I am thinking about how I could tweak my layout to be optimized slightly better. And it seems the dev is pretty good about releasing updates monthly even if minor. It seems like he is going to release a tower defense challenge soon which I have no idea how that will work in the game but should be interesting to see.

https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Xtanstic posted:

Been looking for a decent idle game on my phone to pass the time. Tried looking for a run of the mill one, so I tried Idle Mastermind but that one was too slow paced and not enough levers to fiddle with. Finally tried Magic Research (the demo) and having some fun with the levers until I unlocked combat and I'm starting to develop some friction with it. Reading around... It doesn't get better? In fact it gets worse and is a drag for most of the game? Can anyone confirm /deny? It sucks because the rest of the game is fun but combat being a chore is a big negative. It's the reason why I gave up on Melvor Idle as well.

Depends on what you don’t like about it, but from what I recall it gets very automated. You get auto cast stuff every x seconds so you just set it all and forget about it, other than some boss fights.

Paragon Pioneers is another one you should check out. I think there’s a free demo version.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 25, 2023

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Randalor posted:

I've been playing through Dodecadragon again and it definitely feels like it's going much faster than the last time I played it awhile back. A lot of the mechanics seem to automate much earlier and it feels like less of a slog to get to the tipping point for new mechanics to snowball into the big gains and push your old mechanics up.

Yeah it’s way better but I feel like it makes it even more jarring when you hit Knowledge now.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Theresmore and Ethereal Farm are worth checking out

Edit: Also I got excited because Paragon Pioneers popped up in the App Store for me, but not quite out yet March 11th. Looks like there will be a free demo version again.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 25, 2024

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Paragon Pioneers 2 is out in some regions or otherwise pretty soon for everyone else. Available on mobile and steam. Also like the first one there’s a free demo version that lets you play the starting island.

Pretty excited as it seems like the first one but just more. More resource types, more building types, more units etc. Added skill system as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

explosivo posted:

I didn't really love Paragon Pioneers 1 as much as I expected to as someone who loves Anno and idlers. It takes lots of real time waiting around for trade routes which meant I couldn't set up feeder islands that make *thing* and distribute *thing* because you only get one delivery per 30 minutes. It's entirely possible I just gave up too early on. I think I might give this sequel another shot though, it's a good price for a mobile game with no microtransactions.

You just have multiple boats based on the amount of capacity you require to fulfill the demand. I will say more complex chains never seemed worthwhile or necessary. Hub and spoke model where the hub has your population and then you just have specialized resource islands that feed the hub.

I probably don’t love the game as much as I should either but PP2 is for sure better than the first and it is a single dev project with no micro transactions.