Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait, is there a way to view how many plasmids I get upon rebirth? I'd been assuming that the amount under my Plasmid resource (which is currently 5) was it, but I have well over 300 dudes by this point so I'm theoretically already good to restart.

hover over the button, it's in the tooltip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

how the gently caress did i make top 5 posting last thread I barely even played NGU lol

Because it was about a lot more than NGU for a very long time. Nothing else has been there to compete, the surge of new games was one of the reasons for making a new thread, which is the same reason the 2nd one was open when a bunch of new games came out ending the rein on the Real Grinder thread.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What am I looking at? Is this something you download to laugh for 10 minutes then never touch again?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Where do I unlock robotic unicorn anus trees?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

With hacks, always, only milestones really matter not the levels between.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm doing that one right now, food is a very big problem. Need tons of grain silos to keep my population from being wiped out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Or you can play Evolve like me and reset as a new race each week and just do week long runs. It's a long burn you aren't supposed to finish it instantly it's not a play it for a week idle game, it's a long term slow burner that you press something when you have some free time and need something to do. If you are trying to play it as your only or primary game you are going to be disappointed or have to script.

It's not a game for everyone, but then again idle games are broad enough that I don't think any one game can please even most fans of the genre the best you can hope for is a subset love it and some other groups find certain parts fun enough to take some playable path. Like some people play week or even month long rebirths in NGU and just progress at their own pace and are fine with it.

Part of why I like evolve is wondering where the game is going and watching the game itself develop and balance shift. I can enjoy games in some pretty weird ways, I know.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You are right at the end, paper clips is a game you can beat in a few hours.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That's how a lot of idle games are, devs with h a vision and a small community with a few gently caress you got mine people being in control.

I mean it's kind of games in general, but idle games are the most likely to have a dev that will just keep releasing new content for a year with players actually sticking around the entire time tracking up resources.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Buzkashi posted:

How do I actually make Nanotubes in Evolve? I don't see any building that creates them or option under Crafting

Hup nevermind it's in Factories, got it.

I always forget this, you get them so longer after factories and it doesn't do much to tell you where it is beyond a small amount of text in the research tooltip that you probably aren't reading because you already read it every other run or just know you want them because you have other things that need them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

Communicating what's happening is not one of Evolve's strong suits

Yes but I forget that one every single week I always wonder why I don't have any the next morning after thinking I idled tubes all night.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

i too, was looking forward to some genital adventures

Please make this your next idle game tia

it will be about amassing massive quantities of and you use them to erect giant dildos.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

It seems like spending plasmids on crispr is a trap but I'm only on my third civ

Plasmid doesn't do anything at 500+Phage, you should never go below this. (I think it's actually 450+phage but rounding up to 500 makes math easier and you aren't going to spend that tightly anyway)

They have a reduced benefit after 250(+Phage?)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

i don't get it.

should i be able to get it?

They are white supremacist numbers, it's a good thing that you don't, but you also should be aware of them so you don't accidentally put them in a game. both 14 and 88, but together is like 42069 only instead of funny :iit:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sounds like he should be using a variable designed for big numbers if that's what he's going for. Like BigInt (which is slow, but will certainly allow him to do RNG heavy hit calculations on an incremental game scale). Doubles work but we see the limitations of them with NGU's design, and Realm Grinder shows us what it is to try and go beyond the limits of a Double (you reset everything and do the same thing over only faster!) It's lovely.

You can certainly make plenty of games with a double you just have to be mindful of the limits when you are making the game. Doubles limit the scope but you can get several years worth of updates out of it and really does a game need monthly updates for 20 years? The reason a Double isn't a good idea for IA is that it's been out for a month or so and he's already hit the limits of the variable. Needs a complete recode, either with new variables or scaling down the numbers and growth.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The big things to hold on to are things with droprate, goldfind, and respawn rate. There aren't many of them and with the first 2 you probably only want them on for a few minutes each rebirth so the other stats being low does not matter. Respawn is something that you will want during certain parts of the game and to be idling in it drat the lack of other stats.

It also will not take long at all to farm up replacements so if you need the space just delete it, space is at a premium early on, ,when you have 5 pages, speculative holding makes a lot of sense.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

It's certainly "different".

You hit the max value, you are going to need to start a new save.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

Oh neat, is there any way to know there is an update without waiting for someone to mention it? I had no idea because I just keep the game running on my PC that there even was an update.

Click the version number in the top right, it shows the patch notes, do this every day or every week read the notes if you want the update grab it, if not keep running the old version.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Goon project idea:

Idle meta: An idle game that is more a collection of scripts that you unlock additional features in and idles other classic idle games and has them in a grid on the screen and you can see all 20 or so running at the same time.

These would need to be complete games since updating all the scripts would be a massive pain in the rear end. Get so many cookies in cookie clicker? You can now warp automatically in swarm sim! I'm not sure if the goal of this is to quickly expose new idle players to a bunch of old idle games they really should experience, some of which may not really be worth playing manually anymore. Or if the goal is for a way for idle vets to relive the glory days in a distilled format.

This came from attempting to figure out what exactly idling idle games was. There's probably too many legal issues unless all the games are open source for this to actually happen though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

More stuff to do instead of working. I'm in as FatSamurai.

I have just upgraded the forest pendant, by the way. I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be merging more of them to upgrade this one, right? Right?

you are, you are never going to take that thing off. You did get them from sky and not forest right? Because the drop rate in forest is really low they keep dropping in later zones and titans, you never really go out and farm them they are pretty passive, just don't trash can them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You do want to keep leveling it, each version is good for something and every time I take mine off and think I'm free it goes right back on next time it goes to the next rank.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Might need a deop rate buff, it's been pretty much the best item in the game every time a new tier of it came out. I assume just higher levels on the earlier titans would do the job nicely

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

Been playing evolve off and on, what do I need to get to the sun and beyond? I have about 500 plasmids, but I basically run out of oil/H-3 capacity and get stuck. Do I need start spending plasmids on the capacity next? What other things should I buy?

You should have most of the crisper upgrades (Basically everything under 600 plasmid) before heading to space. You can certainly do it earlier than that but you should have the non cost creep reduction stuff done. For oil and H-3 mass drivers are extremely important this comes with the problem of power generation.

Don't forget Supercollider give more storage after a certain rank and research, you probably need a level 10 or so for your first space reset. You use this to increase your capacity, you also use stock market research to increase your total income, and the monoliths to increase your max morale to keep everything flowing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Chakan posted:

To add to that, once you've hit the helium grind for exploration, take just a minute to set up most everything required by the supercollider so it's above 100/s, it makes things so much smoother when you're just waiting for knowledge. I think copper is required, and getting it above 100/s is too much of a pain so you should increase the capacity to ~150K usually, but steel & cement especially you'll just need hundreds of thousands for the reset.

There's also a queue now so make sure to queue up a good 8 hours worth of buildings before work / sleep! I've made some pretty significant idle progress with that and really it feels right. I think a queue would fix most of the problems with kittens game, it's so simple and yet why did this take so long? Use the queue to get buildings that are a big pain in the rear end to build, built. The stuff that is basically AFK for 2 hours to get enough rare materials that you have better uses for.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

Wishlisted, but im still playing on kong website.

Is there any reason i should move over to steam?

Steam will, and kart currently does, provide a local exe copy.

This means it runs much better and uses significantly less resources. Unity uses a lot of resources in a browser after browsers tightened up plugin security in the wake of flash and java not fixing their exploits.

Steam will likely get cards at full release if you plan on buying ap. But you can always just migrate your save.

There's little reason to be in the steam beta if you just want to play and not test but the full steam release will run better than Kong.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Temples also scale with plasmid, you lick them up pretty early in the run. You should see the research show up soon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Building queue is awesome for overnight. Plan out 8 hours of building come back with full materials still.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah i straight up do not want to spend 325 plasmids on storage boosts, but i think the idea is to do all the crispr bonuses and then ramp up to the plasmid soft cap (~250+200 at first or something) before escaping to the one place uncorrupted by capitalism

i did a bit of spaayyyce on an earlier run but it's quite painful

You have the pieces a bit jumbled I think, the goal is actually stay at 250+ preferably closer to 450 while you are buying all the Crispr bonuses.

Softcap is 250 (Diminishing returns kick in) you can have more but there is no additional benefit having more than 450. Well that is unless you do space resets. The currency you get there is literally added to the max the cap can do (so if you have 200 of it you should be at 650 plasmid)

You also do NOT need all of them that would be crazy the later ones are 999 or so. Get the storage ones and the ones "to the right" the important bit is actually what is unlocked from the worthless looking ones that make the short evolution part of the game faster. They are really cheap and should probably intrigue you to take a look beyond them early on hopefully. At least I think that's what the dev's goal was there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

This is helping me see I need to drop the asscessory and put in the joker.

I could probably drop some of the dumpy respawn stuff for zipper or left wing but honestly the pp grind is probably gonna be a super long one and I don't really feel like slowing it down any. I suppose the case could be made that more pp hack = more pp as well but you can pry my itopod rewards out of my cold, dead hands

1 milestone of PP should outpace any respawn speed gains you also get other hacks faster too, which include adventure stats which increases your floor which increases your PP.

Oh and you wear accessories with more power and toughness again increasing your floor number and PP.

sub other non respawn accessories into anything you don't have.

don't forget you still have to wait swing timer after the respawn.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

I'm honestly just kind of stunned he's still working on it. The world has left him behind and the mechanics are just so heavily out of date with current good designs in idlers

From what I understand he doesn't play other idle games

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

xiw posted:

Also Centauri habitats give +1 centauri support unlike the other habitats - reckon that's a bug? It's very convenient.

I doubt it's a bug, I had assumed it used 1 support and wrote it off as completely useless. The local space ones use support because they provide a colonist job and that job is very very powerful since it's a multiplier for other space buildings. +1 pop when there's so many ways to get pop just isn't super useful. It also makes sense that you can support additional structures in another solar system if you have people that actually live in system.

Seems very deliberate and actually follows logic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Who wants to play some IDLE HUMAN and grow a human body from a single cell?

(not me)

theire

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Use arpa projects to get more research cap, you will likely need all 3 at level 10+ for your first space reset.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Grab a few they each give an additional option for your choice for a bonus to your next run. Its rng so as many as seem affordable but it's also not a massive difference so don't wait on the last probe or two for too long. 3-4 should be affordable while building the ship.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Pixaal, how many PP per kill are you up to now?

I remember when i had just broken 1 per kill you were at 3,5. I just hit 3,5 so just curious how the numbers scale.

9.008 which is written a 9 and 8 100th since you are using , for the decimal and I'm using . for it to not be confused with just over 9000

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ScottyJSno posted:

NGU

Is my Cube way behind or not?
Should my Cube level be closer to my base level?

You kind of catch up when you are ahead of the curve I was always getting more from my cube than my equipment after a month or so after the cube was first introduced until Nerd. I had fallen way behind on boosted boosts though, after finishing up the ones I did not have I have been back to having a beyond maxed cube, I hit parity again around Exile v1. Currently I have this

It's a pretty major source of stats, boosted boosts are really powerful and if you are sitting around waiting for adventure stats and can't figure out a way to get more boosted boosts may be the answer!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Evolve's dev is turning into something! :v:

And goodness I can't comment on the changes, they're many and spread across several commits. And since I'm early game Genetic Disaster, it's going to be a while.

I just completed my first Dark Energy reset yesterday would have been nice since I think I missed the option to select what bonus I get since it hadn't been implemented yet.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 18, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Fool posted:

NGU: Is it worth capping lower level blood rituals, or am I better off putting everything in my current best ritual?

Best that you can afford the gold for (and can actually use, if it takes 10 hour for 1 fill that means you have a high chance of wasting a partial bar).

Start at the bottom and work your way up, ideally you have all of them maxed out 24/7 but that takes a long time to build to, it will happen though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Devor posted:

Congrats!

Do you submit it with a bunch of saves so that they can verify your content isn’t inappropriate?

Or is it just review to make sure it runs on various hardware?

Steam only cares if IAP work. They give no fucks. Rape simulators have been published on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Okay time to jump down this rabbit hole, it's Arcanum, yes? Oh new page, I guess people here would like a link so they don't have to page dive for the new hotness http://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/