Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Dagen H posted:

Dumb question: Eb = "E flat"?

Yep.

That’s a nice collection of horns, that 25J makes me nostalgic for the 20J I played from time to time in high school. I had a Miraphone 187 when I was playing and planning to be a music major but I sold it after I decided to take a different path in college. Wish I’d held on to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

A Small Car posted:

I approve! I believe the soundtrack for the original Superman was recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra, so it would have been John Fletcher playing tuba at that time. Because I am a nerd, Fletcher started his career playing the famous 3+1 Besson Eb (his chief modification to the horn, a shortening of one of the inner bows to create an overall sharp tuba is known as the "Fletcher Cut," and is a subject of continued debate as to its effectiveness), but became increasingly dissatisfied with the extensive 4th valve use required for most orchestral repertoire and acquired a Holton 345 CC tuba (itself a copy of the world famous Chicago Symphony York that Arnold Jacobs played, though I can't remember if #1 or #2 is the one that was copied. The CSO Yorks and their continued influence on modern tuba designs and playing characteristics are a hell of a subject in themselves) to make the lower register playing more easily accessible. Most likely, that's the horn he's using on the recording you linked.

this is giving me so many tubenet flashbacks :toot: