Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

the whole “Edelgard being forced to rely on her primary abuser’s resources in order to fulfill her goals” thing is a pretty interesting conflict that should’ve really been explored more within Edelgard’s own route. Maybe have the tension between them boil over and make Edelgard turn on Thales sooner than planned.

In my head how a hypothetical route rework would go,

Wake up, battle of Grondar Field, Dimitri reveals how bugfuck he is and is absolutely into Killing Every Last One Of Them, you save Claude and the Alliance is either dissolved or allied with the Empire.
Battle of Myrdin Bridge is against the Kingdom/anti Empire Alliance to open up a second flank.
Could have a battle against the Almyrans forcing Claude to reveal he's actually royalty and calm the whole thing down, idk
Kingdom launches an attack from Arianrhod that you have to counter, possibly reveal the nuke here
Battle for Garreg Mhach, only Thales is there and it turns into another three way battle where you take the chance to get rid of him
Rest of the route proceeds as it was, maybe one more big battle for Dimitri and El to interact before his death.
The nuke could happen as it was a last gently caress you from the Slitherers in their death throes, maybe even have it hit Enbarr for maximum drama.

But the Slitherers are also kinda boring loving villains and the heart of the conflict needs to be the fight against Dimitri and Rhea who are our actually interesting antagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Augus posted:

the whole “Edelgard being forced to rely on her primary abuser’s resources in order to fulfill her goals” thing is a pretty interesting conflict that should’ve really been explored more within Edelgard’s own route. Maybe have the tension between them boil over and make Edelgard turn on Thales sooner than planned.

You mean like, say, if el started murdering their agents and they nuked her army?

Because if something like that were to happen it would be pretty stupid for the plot to proceed on and never let you resolve the open warfare between former "allies"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

You mean like, say, if el started murdering their agents and they nuked her army?

Because if something like that were to happen it would be pretty stupid for the plot to proceed on and never let you resolve the open warfare between former "allies"

My understanding was that the nuke only got part of the army. Enough to make a point but not enough to stop her from wiping out the church. It does suck that she doesn't get to fight Those Who Slither on her route more then that one map and I feel as though it would make a lot of sense for her to fight Nemesis as a sort of bonus boss.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well yeah, but the point was that her and the slithers are literally engaged in open warfare, so it's wierd to just drop the issue and resolve it off screen.

Like, yeah, they didnt get your whole army, but they still shot nukes at you. That's not the kind of thing that should have been swept under a rug the way it was.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
BE-E was the first route I did and not dealing with the slitherers felt like a cliffhanger that would be resolved in a dlc. It's a pretty big question hanging over the ending - the slitherers seem to be enormously powerful and not at all afraid of Edelgard, so they clearly have some sort of plan to control/eliminate her after they use her to kill Rhea.

Of course, that plan must've failed given the happy-ending text, but I found that pretty unsatisfying. I wish we'd gotten to play that out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't get why Byleth had to be voiceless or why they even let you rename him/her

You don't customize them at all so there's no point, and they're a deep part of the story with lines all the time. Your choices literally don't matter except *once* so it's just this weird carryover I wish they didn't even bother with. Dimitri's VA is really good and having him spill his soul to a bunch of beeping textboxes sucks rear end.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't get why Byleth had to be voiceless

I can at least answer this one: They tried to do something narrative with the entire silent protagonist thing (Byleth not showing emotion, not crying as a baby, etc) but they didn't really go far with it except saving money on VAs.

What they probably should have done is let Byleth start having actual dialogue as time go on.

Also Byleth is a terrible name so it's good you can rename them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Your choices literally don't matter except *once*

Actually, yeah, didn't they do the same thing they did in Fates by saying "No your choices will really matter outside of the route choices this time." in promotional materials?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I mean I guess if you count support minmaxing they do count for something.

I guess.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

El's route would have been better if you did Attack on Dubstep after the nuke.

Hell, Hubert is the guy who sends you to Shambala in GD.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You get 3 choices that matter in dialogue. Choice of House, whether to keep Sylvain's relic (if he's recruited) and siding with or against Edelgard on Black Eagles.

So its a step up from Fates where you got 2 :v: (which route to be on and if you kill Shura for boots on Conquest)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was kinda disappointed there were no like, variations in maps based on things you decided. Like idk, pick between a map having pegasus knights on it or meteor warlocks or something.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

El's route would have been better if you did Attack on Dubstep after the nuke.

Hell, Hubert is the guy who sends you to Shambala in GD.

I've actually been thinking a bit on how to fix up El's route, and came to the same conclusion. Of course, Dimitri and Rhea need to stay as the final bosses for Edelgard's and Byleth's respective stories, so the fight against the Slitherershas to happen before that, and the nuking of Arianrhod is a good turning point in El's relationship with the Slitherers. It's pretty clear that there's a strong mutual distrust between El and the Slitherers, so it's really a matter of "when" one turns on the other, and not "if".

So the question that rises is why would they betray El, right as she's about to finally achieve for them their goal of defeating Rhea? And a plausible answer is that without a mutual enemy, there's no reason for them to remain allies, and for all their magic and technology, the Slitherers don't have the manpower to fight a consolidated Empire. In other words, they have to make their move while the Empire is at its weakest, and there's no weaker time than after the Empire has exhausted the most of their resources near the end of their war against the Kingdom and Church. At this point, Fhirdiad is basically the last enemy holdout, unsupported by any other cities or nobles of note, so it's really just a matter of assaulting its walls and ending the war for good. In other words, this is the point where Edelgard has all but defeated the Kingdom and Church, which means she's served her main purpose for the Slitherers. In other words, it would be the perfect time for a betrayal.

At this point, the Slitherers could invent some mind control plot magic to use on Edelgard, or they can have a doppelganger take on her appearance - either way, they could install a puppet Edelgard that's compliant to their goals. The reason they didn't do this sooner is because they needed the real Edelgard's brilliance and charisma to win the war, but now that the war is practically won, the genuine article is no longer needed and can safely be replaced. Of course, installing a puppet Edelgard means getting rid of the original first - maybe the nuking of Arianrhod was an attempt to wipe out Edelgard and her BESF all at once. Obviously, their assassination and/or mind control plan fails, probably due to Byleth's intervention, but in any case, the people that know Edelgard the best - Black Eagles Strike Force - need to be eliminated. And since only Edelgard and her inner circle know the extent of the Empire's dealings with the Slytherins, this is an issue that only the BESF can resolve, while the rest of the Imperial army is sieging but not engaging the Kingdom forces at Fhirdiad - an explanation for why the war is on hold while the Slitherer subplot gets resolved over the next 3-4 chapters/months.

TL, DR: Putting in a Slitherers subplot after the city nuke resolves both issues in BE-E of Slitherers being unaddressed/unresolved and its general shortness, and also gives the Slitherers a valid time and place to betray El.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious that the slitherers had a plan to kill or control Edel after Rhea is put down. Otherwise it makes no drat sense for them to stand there doing nothing the fifty times Edel says "in gonna kill you guys when this is over" in cutscenes.