Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna take another crack at the pick'em... had to take last year off because I missed all of week 1 :laffo:

Watch me miss my record by like 40 picks this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Completely forgot about these last year but I'm in on week 1 again. And probably out by week 3.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Eagles and Seahawks are the biggest favorites this week (over 4-to-1), followed by Saints/Cowboys/Ravens (all around 3-to-1). Interesting to see the strength of the bias against divisional games in SAS, as the Eagles are 4th in picks and the Cowboys are tied for 9th. I'm going with the Eagles because in big pool competitions I err on the side of not going with the most popular selection; that being said the Seahawks are a solid choice.

I think the Bengals are the better choice for reverse; both a tough matchup AND probably the toughest they'll have all year.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ditch posted:

I'm going with the Eagles

Division games are traps, particularly in Week 1.

Seahawks are definitely the "safe" pick but the Ravens are probably another solid option, Miami is going to be trash.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

WampaLord posted:

Seahawks are definitely the "safe" pick but the Ravens are probably another solid option, Miami is going to be trash.

Yeah there aren't a lot of great picks for eliminator in week 1. I like the Ravens and Seahawks as well, but I'm absolutely floored by the line on that KC/Jacksonville game. 3.5 is a slim rear end margin for that game

Eagles seem like a solid bet but yeah, I'll probably stay away from both those NFCE contests even though they have favorable spreads

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eliminator has carried over our funbux totals from the preseason, e.g. I have 4800. Is that intended?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Eliminator has carried over our funbux totals from the preseason, e.g. I have 4800. Is that intended?

Even wagering with make believe money I feel like I should call you a degenerate here.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

WampaLord posted:

I reviewed bloodbaths over a reasonably long period of time and found that divisional games had a roughly proportional share. I think the divisional nature makes them much more memorable, thus they stand out.

For the hell of it I looked at my SAS Eliminator history. I have a 175-33 record overall (84.1%), and 68-14 in divisional games (82.9%); pretty negligible difference.

I'm also 13-0 in week 1 :getin:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

week 1 is the deadliest week imo cause we dont really know poo poo yet

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Play posted:

I remember when picking the Lions over the Jets seemed like the safest bet I could make last year.

whoops

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Play posted:

It's this. Teams that were previously dogshit are suddenly good and vice-versa: Teams trot out some new player or strategy and their opponent had no tape to study and gets blindsided and loses unexpectedly. Our instincts based on previous years of who should beat whom are out of date.

Grittybeard posted:

Even wagering with make believe money I feel like I should call you a degenerate here.

I mean, yes, definitely, except I know myself well enough I haven't made a real-money wager in like a decade. Even my real world investments are all just passive index funds because I can't be trusted with individual stocks. I'm going to lose all my funbux repeatedly all year like an idiot.

But like, it just seemed like an oversight and I figured I should mention it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Play posted:

Absolutely true, but I feel like we were gifted some really safe ones for Week One this year. I can't really see a world where the Bengals, Washington, or the Dolphins win.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

fsif posted:

Absolutely true, but I feel like we were gifted some really safe ones for Week One this year. I can't really see a world where the Bengals, Washington, or the Dolphins win.

Sounds like a funbuck parlay is in order!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Play posted:

Ravens

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Packers +3 seems hard to pass up in Spread eliminator.

I'm ready to go like 6-11 in Spread eliminator again.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

What's up degenerate bros :hfive:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ehud posted:

Ravens

Counterpoint: Fitzmagic

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Looking forward to doing Eliminator, Spread Eliminator, Pick 'Em, Spread Pick 'Em, and wagering Fun Bucks until whatever week I forget to put in my picks before the Thursday game and completely fall off again.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

An excellent question. As a cargo cult web app operator I'm going to say yes, as you managed to pick up some wins on meaningless games. And also the funbuck setup script only runs once a year.

Congratulations!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

:stonk:

e: is nobody running the kicker eliminator this year?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Yodzilla posted:

e: is nobody running the kicker eliminator this year?

lol gently caress I totally forgot I ran that thing last year. come play, m'lords

Play
Apr 25, 2006

im in midseason form already

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I didn't know this was a thing that could happen:

Vegas thinks both teams will win?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Pinnacle has both under 2 in decimal odds, so it's not a parse error, and I found this

quote:

Occasionally, both moneylines will be negative, but they won’t be identical (e.g. -115 and -105). If this is the case, the one farther from zero is the slight favorite. The greater the difference between the two teams’ odds, the greater the difference between the underdog and the favorite.

I'm sure some actual degenerate gambler can explain it better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

Vegas thinks that's the line that will make them the most money.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are the Bengals going to disappoint me by failing to disappoint?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

Ravens

This, this is going to be the easiest eliminator until Miami plays someone for the second time.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I normally think that picking a road divisional game early in the year is silly because you'll get the home field version of it later on. However, the Patriots don't host Miami until week 17 and might not need that game, so picking them in week 2 is more than reasonable. Only other good options I can see are the Ravens and Texans.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pretty successful first week (so far), went 4-0 in eliminator-type games, 11-3 in pickem and 10-4 in spread and reverse spread. Also hit a few nice funbucks bets. What do you think guys are the Broncos or the Raiders going to win? I've got the Saints over the Texans for the other game.

As far as next week, yeah Ravens, Chargers, Panthers and Patriots are the obvious choices. I've already used the Chiefs to be super safe but it would be disappointing to have to use the Patriots as well this early. That's the two best teams in the league gone

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Play posted:

Pretty successful first week (so far), went 4-0 in eliminator-type games, 11-3 in pickem and 10-4 in spread and reverse spread. Also hit a few nice funbucks bets. What do you think guys are the Broncos or the Raiders going to win? I've got the Saints over the Texans for the other game.

As far as next week, yeah Ravens, Chargers, Panthers and Patriots are the obvious choices. I've already used the Chiefs to be super safe but it would be disappointing to have to use the Patriots as well this early. That's the two best teams in the league gone

There's no such thing as too safe, especially in the early weeks of the season. Offenses are figuring things out so I feel there's more volatility.

Plus if you save your "safe" picks you get the Dolphins beating the Pats late in the season. :mad:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I understand wanting to get through early weeks, but something like Chiefs at Jags doesn't seem like a good use of a top team. Same with thinking the Chargers are safe next week. Mediocre teams like the Jags and Lions at home are still super dangerous. Last year both of them beat the Patriots at home.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

yeah the last two years i tried to game by taking a good team so that i could wait for the league to shake out and then coast on easy teams
has not worked out well for me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yeah I guess as long as you get the win, a wins a win. No team is every going to be worth more than one win

My dad is 0-1 >:) 40 bucks here i come

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
12-4 in pick'em ain't bad for a lotta choices I made mostly sight unseen on a lot of teams. Should have been 13-3, poo poo rear end Bears :colbert:

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I've come to the conclusion that picking against bad teams is a better strategy than picking good teams, but I always get eliminated by the stupid Jets or something so don't listen to me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

12-4 in pick'em ain't bad for a lotta choices I made mostly sight unseen on a lot of teams. Should have been 13-3, poo poo rear end Bears :colbert:

Also 12-4, should have been better but it took 3/4ths of a game before Kyler remembered how to play football and... you know what I really have no idea why I picked the Jets.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jets were the home team, the Bills turned the ball over like 4 times and the Jets would've won if they didn't gently caress up any of a bunch of different things (or simply not have CJ Mosley get injured), makes total sense to have picked them.

On the other hand, I'd like to mention that I picked the Buccaneers.

For eliminator, I'm thinking of trying to pick divisional games, after getting Cowboys over Giants in W1. Mostly because I'm picking between Cardinals - Ravens and Texans - Jaguars this week.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Jets were the home team, the Bills turned the ball over like 4 times and the Jets would've won if they didn't gently caress up any of a bunch of different things (or simply not have CJ Mosley get injured), makes total sense to have picked them.

On the other hand, I'd like to mention that I picked the Buccaneers.

For eliminator, I'm thinking of trying to pick divisional games, after getting Cowboys over Giants in W1. Mostly because I'm picking between Cardinals - Ravens and Texans - Jaguars this week.

My dad picked the Bucs in eliminator lol because he "assumed the 49ers were trash". Which, while correct, doesn't really tell the whole story

Fenrir posted:

Also 12-4, should have been better but it took 3/4ths of a game before Kyler remembered how to play football and... you know what I really have no idea why I picked the Jets.

Same, panic changed my pick to the Broncos like a half hour before kickoff and regretted it immediately following kickoff

Still, a successful week. I like looking at spread pick em, it's a bit tougher but when you get a good ratio it make me feel like a moneymaker. Somehow landed on 12-4 in reverse spread pickem and 11-5 in spread pickem

A very good setup to my inevitable week 6-8 collapse where I somehow get 80% of my choices wrong

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Play posted:

My dad picked the Bucs in eliminator lol because he "assumed the 49ers were trash". Which, while correct, doesn't really tell the whole story

You think that's bad, not only did I take the Bucs, but I also picked the Browns as well :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

... but I also picked the Browns as well :laffo:

I bought into that dumb hype, too.