Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Play posted:

It seems to have the Raiders favored by five points over the Rams in the season opener... is that really possible?
It's currently showing the preseason. So like... don't make any picks yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Eagles and Seahawks are the biggest favorites this week (over 4-to-1), followed by Saints/Cowboys/Ravens (all around 3-to-1). Interesting to see the strength of the bias against divisional games in SAS, as the Eagles are 4th in picks and the Cowboys are tied for 9th. I'm going with the Eagles because in big pool competitions I err on the side of not going with the most popular selection; that being said the Seahawks are a solid choice.

I think the Bengals are the better choice for reverse; both a tough matchup AND probably the toughest they'll have all year.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

WampaLord posted:

Division games are traps, particularly in Week 1.
I reviewed bloodbaths over a reasonably long period of time and found that divisional games had a roughly proportional share. I think the divisional nature makes them much more memorable, thus they stand out.

For the hell of it I looked at my SAS Eliminator history. I have a 175-33 record overall (84.1%), and 68-14 in divisional games (82.9%); pretty negligible difference.

I'm also 13-0 in week 1 :getin:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I normally think that picking a road divisional game early in the year is silly because you'll get the home field version of it later on. However, the Patriots don't host Miami until week 17 and might not need that game, so picking them in week 2 is more than reasonable. Only other good options I can see are the Ravens and Texans.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I understand wanting to get through early weeks, but something like Chiefs at Jags doesn't seem like a good use of a top team. Same with thinking the Chargers are safe next week. Mediocre teams like the Jags and Lions at home are still super dangerous. Last year both of them beat the Patriots at home.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Week 3 seems pretty straightforward: Cowboys in regular, Jets in reverse. Maybe 49ers in regular if Ben is out?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bucs seem like a good reverse pick for week 4. Startlingly few decent picks for regular outside of the obvious, which could lead to a massive bloodbath if the Dolphins win. But the comedy value would be worth it IMO.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This was a bloodbath for reverse due to heavy picking for the Bucs and (for some reason) the Raiders. 61% lost this week, worse than regular eliminator's 48%.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I've managed to back myself into a corner by using the Chargers, Patriots, Cowboys and Ravens already. That leaves me with the Chiefs or Packers.

Leaning Chiefs.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Gerund posted:

Finally taking my Seahawks, this is the last game I'd feel confident on picking them for the rest of the year and if I get busted rooting for the squad against a Falcs team that has fully quit, so be it.
Don't trust them hosting the Bucs?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I have spent a lot of time trying to bust the myth that divisional games are inherently risky. Their share of upsets is on par with their share of total games. However, I might start subscribing to the "don't bet on the Bucs" narrative, and add the Jags to that mix.

So far this decade I'm right 85% of the time on games that don't involve the Bucs or Jags, and just 65% on games that do. Those are the ultimate "any given Sunday" teams because they can beat or lose to literally anyone.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The last 16 bloodbath games (25+ people selected):

2019 week 5, KC vs Ind
2019 week 4, LAR vs TB
2018 week 14, Pit at Oak
2018 week 14, Den at SF
2018 week 11, Ari vs Oak
2018 week 10, Phi vs Dal*
2018 week 3, Min vs Buf
2018 week 1, NO vs TB*
2017 week 17, Sea vs Ari*
2017 week 14, Cin vs Chi
2017 week 11, KC at NYG
2017 week 9, Sea vs Was
2017 week 9, Hou vs Ind*
2017 week 6, Atl vs Mia
2017 week 6, Den vs NYG
2017 week 5, Pit vs Jac

Starred games are divisional: just 4 of 16, despite being 6 out of every 16 games played. Divisional games are not more likely to be bloodbaths.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Looking at it another way, over that period there were 20 games where divisional games were potential bloodbaths. The favorite went 16-4. There were 61 non-divisional potential bloodbaths, and the favorite went 46-16.

Divisional game "rule" is dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Divisional thing doesn't matter when the other main pick also goes down.

(I picked Indy :suicide: )