Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I've bought it at Walmart. Maybe sold as "plumbing winterizer" or such.

Thanks. Local Ace as well as O'Reilly's had it, though both only a hybrid formula with ethanol and propylene glycol :shrug:

Took it out for the first overnight trip with the family last night, drove a few hours to somewhere down the hill and warmer (but still not that warm, high 30s overnight I think just not freezing).

The drive went well for the most part, got a lot of practice driving it on some pretty winding and hilly roads (a lot of SR 49 for those in CA), averaged about 10mpg the whole trip including coming down to ~1000 ft from ~6000 and back.

The campground was super empty, and pretty when we arrived shortly before dark. No hookups or anything.

Cooking was a breeze, kids had a blast, and it stayed super warm in there. I think I had the furnace set somewhere in the high 60s and I still woke up sweating in the cabover before it got cooler closer to dawn (and then my wife got up and cracked a window). I think in the future I'll actually set the fan to auto (it has a thermostat to crack open and run if temps get too high); I don't think the furnace was running while we were roasting at night, guessing we were all just generating enough warmth with things relatively buttoned up...

My daughter got up in the morning and had to go to the bathroom and couldn't open the door; I couldn't either, and then eventually we figured out that my son had gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and, with his irresistible urges to gently caress with poo poo and touch wires and push buttons and flip switches, pressed the privacy lock button and locked us all out of it. Took a bit to figure that out and find something to poke the unlock hole with.

I'm really pleased so far with how long the propane and battery tanks are lasting so far, too. A few days working in the camper at the ski resort with the furnace on, and then yesterday evening through late this morning with the furnace and fridge running along with cooking dinner and breakfast with the range, and I haven't dipped into the second tank yet. Batteries have barely drained and I've paid almost no attention to them; solar and alternator seem to be doing the trick keeping them charged without trying to hard to keep electricity usage down. First battery hasn't gone below 60% charge or so yet. And meanwhile someone else at the campsite was running their generator non-stop all evening and well past quiet hours...

The challenges:
- Truck started yelling at me intermittently about a trailer lighting module problem, and at least once when I stopped the right taillight wasn't working. It started doing this the first time when I was on a bumpier stretch of road, so hoping / wondering if it's just the connection to the truck coming a bit loose.
- The campground supposedly had a dump station. We didn't touch the fresh water system because I didn't want to deal with de/rewinterizing it for a one night trip, but figured the grey and black would be straightforward: dump and throw some antifreeze in there afterwards. I couldn't find the dump station; there was no map, no signs for it, and I suspect it was hidden in the area of the campground that was closed. We only used the toilet for #1, so I decided to just dump it into a bucket at home when I got here. Strangely, basically nothing came out of either tank at first. I figured the truck was at a bit of a weird angle away from the corner with the tanks so I moved it and then got about what I expected out of the black water tank (though surprised that it made as much of a difference as it did, it was a pretty slight angle change). Somewhat paranoid that I didn't get all of the grey water out, but did my best to get out what I could and then topped off with antifreeze to keep the traps full with it.

This leaves me wondering: how much of a concern is freeze damage in the black water system in the winter? Is it something that can be reasonably used without keeping the tank above freezing by liberally dumping antifreeze in there or is it still just best to always dump it between using it and any risk of sitting in freezing temps for a while?

Also, this is annoying:

Moreso in CA than NV

One last question: anyone happen to know whether Caltrans requires chains in R2 chain control if you've got a truck camper on and have "snow" tires on all 4 with 4x4? Their site says "When the road is posted with a sign requiring chains, all heavy-duty vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) must be equipped with chains mounted on the tires in order to proceed." But my truck without the camper is over 6500 lbs and haven't had to, thinking maybe they look at it and figure it's close enough to under 6500 lbs and let it through but might not with a camper on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Oh, also: very interested in recommendations anyone has in general for camper stuff, like cookware, cooking/eating things especially, or just really any products you find are fantastic versions of what they are for camper use, or that you wouldn't want to go without when using your camper.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steve French posted:

Oh, also: very interested in recommendations anyone has in general for camper stuff, like cookware, cooking/eating things especially, or just really any products you find are fantastic versions of what they are for camper use, or that you wouldn't want to go without when using your camper.

A medium cast iron saucepan/Dutch oven. They cook a little more evenly on small gas camping/camper stoves than other materials. Also will hold stuff warmer for a little longer when you're going in and out of the camper around mealtimes like back and forth between a picnic table.

Plastic scraper for pots

Baking soda

3-4 small plastic cutting boards rather than one big one. Can prep and move stuff in piles out of your limited work space.

A couple rolls of ptfe tape. Water fittings in even good quality campers always seem to need something tinkered with.

Kitty litter

A 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid. Or maybe a kitty litter bucket with a latching lid. Keep all your tools, tape, zip ties, whatever else you have for preparedness into it, and then you got a bucket when you need one for bucket stuff.

Games, cards, books, cribbage. If weather catches you off guard then the kids will have backup stuff to do.

Stick a bar of dial soap, still in the box, in every storage hatch and in the back of every floor level cabinet. It'll keep the rodents away and you'll never be without soap.

A bunch of paracord. Clothesline, whatever.

First aid kit, if you don't have one in the truck.

Stash toilet paper, trash bags, and gallon ziplocs in a couple places.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Seconding Henry J Littlefinger's list. The usual, metal spatula, tongs, etc. Double duty if you're using a camp grill too. Good set of oven mitts. Bungie cords with hooks on the end. Carry a small shovel somewhere for fire pits.
Definitely get a first aid kit or two. And a spare fire extinguisher.

On hookups? are you using a circuit analyzer? If not get a camco 55311. I've been to a non zero number of campgrounds with a reversed neutral/ground or a floating ground/neutral..
Are you running the carbon water filters that are everywhere? If not, get one. Camco KDF.
Do get the drop in tablets/liquid for the tanks. It really helps with aromas. I keep a box of rubber gloves in the holding tank hatch for dealing with the tanks.

Winterizing: I usually drain the fresh system and water heater. Little glycol in the P traps and call it good. My system has been altered compared to the normal setup. The normal systems run valves to bypass the water heater so the system can be used without filling said waterheater.

10mpg is pretty good with the new 7.3. Check your lights before setting out. I've had that issue a few times too. Usually reseating the connector is all it needs.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Leather MIG gloves are surprisingly good grill/oven mitts. I have a couple for this purpose. Also pair of long locking tongs for flipping hot dogs / moving coals around for a Dutch oven.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Spare bulbs, not just for the outside too. Watched someone in a 1st-trip-out £70k campervan fumbling around with a headtorch because they didn't have spare interior bulbs once

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A medium cast iron saucepan/Dutch oven. They cook a little more evenly on small gas camping/camper stoves than other materials. Also will hold stuff warmer for a little longer when you're going in and out of the camper around mealtimes like back and forth between a picnic table.

Interesting, I was figuring on some aluminum poo poo to keep weight down and have better heat conductivity over heat capacity, but I do really like cast iron.

cursedshitbox posted:

Do get the drop in tablets/liquid for the tanks. It really helps with aromas. I keep a box of rubber gloves in the holding tank hatch for dealing with the tanks.

Winterizing: I usually drain the fresh system and water heater. Little glycol in the P traps and call it good. My system has been altered compared to the normal setup. The normal systems run valves to bypass the water heater so the system can be used without filling said waterheater.

10mpg is pretty good with the new 7.3. Check your lights before setting out. I've had that issue a few times too. Usually reseating the connector is all it needs.

Yeah, I used a drop in tab for the black water; the dealer gave me a kit with the camper containing a stinky slinky, a transparent elbow adapter, fresh water hose for flushing, some of the drop in tabs, a few rolls of TP, and some disposable gloves.

Good to know re: winterizing, hopefully it's all good because it was -11F this morning.

Did the light check before leaving, but then the warning came on mid-journey and really getting at the connector requires partially removing the camper. I can reach in behind the cab and feel the connector, feels secure, but can't really look at it. Worried if I pulled it out to reseat I'd be able to yank it out but not get it lined up to seat it back again.

tinned owl posted:

Spare bulbs, not just for the outside too. Watched someone in a 1st-trip-out £70k campervan fumbling around with a headtorch because they didn't have spare interior bulbs once

Spare bulbs is more challenging, I think I'll just have to trust modern technology not to fail me.

Thanks for all the tips everyone (more welcome!) I'm sure we'll start to refine our set up nicely ourselves too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Are there any stats on Airstream vs. other trailers in terms of gas mileage (or EV Truck range). Does the aero work?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

VideoGameVet posted:

Are there any stats on Airstream vs. other trailers in terms of gas mileage (or EV Truck range). Does the aero work?

IDK if the aero works but I do know they last a lot longer.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

therobit posted:

IDK if the aero works but I do know they last a lot longer.

Yeah, I see VERY old ones on a pretty regular basis.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My theory is that the all-metal, smooth, riveted, cladding and the rounded shape prevent pooling of water as will as minimize wind forces on the trailer, as well as being tougher than the corrugated metal and the fiberglass used on other campers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

therobit posted:

My theory is that the all-metal, smooth, riveted, cladding and the rounded shape prevent pooling of water as will as minimize wind forces on the trailer, as well as being tougher than the corrugated metal and the fiberglass used on other campers.

I'd like to see a comparison of range with the F150 Lightning Pickup and an Airstream vs. other trailer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ugh. I am super disappointed that the Lightning turned out to be such a turd when it comes to doing truck things. If it can’t do those things, then me might as well buy a much smaller EV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it can do them just fine? Just not for long. Towing just induces so much extra load that range calculations start looking like the tyranny of the rocket equation.

It shouldn't have been surprising, either. ICE trucks will lose half their range or more when towing, but it gets brushed off as not a big deal because it means another ten minute fill-up, probably at a gas station already designed to handle a truck and trailer combination. It becomes problematic for an EV since now that's an extra 30min-1hr stop, and at least from what I've seen DC fast chargers are almost all set up for nose/tail-in parking that would not play nice with a truck and trailer.

Sticking with thread-appropriate workloads, at least you can hop in the trailer while you wait? :v:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It’s still an excellent truck for the jobsite and around town, which seems to pretty clearly be their target right now. Which makes sense! 70% of pickups on the road have literally never towed anything at all.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

VideoGameVet posted:

I'd like to see a comparison of range with the F150 Lightning Pickup and an Airstream vs. other trailer.

It's got to be better but I really want to know how much better.

Bloody posted:

It’s still an excellent truck for the jobsite and around town, which seems to pretty clearly be their target right now. Which makes sense! 70% of pickups on the road have literally never towed anything at all.

There's so much idling done on construction sites just to keep warm or cool and to have somewhere to plug in your laptop. The utility of it ends at moving people and materials currently. For recreational purposes I don't see one being useful for much other than tent camping with current battery tech.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I suspect the battery electric vehicle has a spot to plug in a laptop.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, it can do them just fine? Just not for long. Towing just induces so much extra load that range calculations start looking like the tyranny of the rocket equation.

It shouldn't have been surprising, either. ICE trucks will lose half their range or more when towing, but it gets brushed off as not a big deal because it means another ten minute fill-up, probably at a gas station already designed to handle a truck and trailer combination. It becomes problematic for an EV since now that's an extra 30min-1hr stop, and at least from what I've seen DC fast chargers are almost all set up for nose/tail-in parking that would not play nice with a truck and trailer.

Sticking with thread-appropriate workloads, at least you can hop in the trailer while you wait? :v:

They are also available with a longer range to begin with, and from what I have seen hauling is also an issue. I don’t own a truck currently, but when I did I used it every few years to tow something but pretty often to haul stuff in the bed. Before I would commit so much money to a vehicle, I’d want it to have halfway decent performance doing what it is designed to do.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

therobit posted:

Ugh. I am super disappointed that the Lightning turned out to be such a turd when it comes to doing truck things. If it can’t do those things, then me might as well buy a much smaller EV.
Plenty of truck things it does well, as mentioned above. It also does fine pulling small trailers. But nothing tows a heavy and brick-like TT without losing range. It's just more obvious on an EV.

Bloody posted:

As much as AI bitches about trucks never towing or using their full capabilities, you'd think we'd celebrate a truck that gets typical usage with full independent suspension and EV mileage. It's ideal for real world usage.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 4, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SpeedFreek posted:

It's got to be better but I really want to know how much better.

There's so much idling done on construction sites just to keep warm or cool and to have somewhere to plug in your laptop. The utility of it ends at moving people and materials currently. For recreational purposes I don't see one being useful for much other than tent camping with current battery tech.

This is why I'm leaning to a Van config. Hopefully the 2023 Mercedes eSprinter with the impressive range.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific Chinese diesel heater? I have seen Vevor recommended twice in the 4x4 thread in AI but I would like TGO's opinion.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vevor is kind of known for being one of the better Chinese knockoff brands for a bunch of things.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Spent another night out at a drying lake a couple hours out into Nevada last night. Generally a great little trip and I’ll share photos and some more details later but for now: driving that thing on a 2 lane 70mph highway with oncoming 18 wheelers every minute or two in gusty crosswinds was probably my least favorite driving experience to date

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Okay, last weekend drove out into Nevada a bit for a night. Drove past the area where the Gigafactory is to get there, tons of huge warehouses there with wild (feral, really, I guess) horses are just hanging around loving everywhere. The BLM will pay you to adopt them.

It was a pretty drive where my wife learned what I'd tried to tell her but I guess didn't leave enough of an impression: once you get out of the cities in Nevada it's not just a giant flat wasteland, it's just constant mountains and valleys. I had driven through it a number of times but never in the winter, it's a lot nicer with snow on the peaks.

We camped on Walker Lake, which has had its source cut off years ago by irrigation diversion and has just been gradually shrinking for decades but is still a good size. Next to the world's largest ammo depot, which is nice. And an 11k foot peak, which isn't super high by the area's standards except that the lake is at 4k feet, so it's a bigger than typical drop. In the summer months apparently there are bighorn sheep in the area, but we didn't see any.

There was a storm back home which was part of the reason we left town, though it still got to us overnight in the form of gusty winds, which was exciting while trying to sleep but even more exciting on the drive back. It felt like the level of intensity and required focus of driving on a track, with none of the enjoyment.

This weekend we got out for another night, and decided to go somewhere a little closer and get out earlier in the day. Pyramid Lake, northwest of Reno, the other end of the Truckee River (Lake Tahoe drains to it). Entirely within the Paiute reservation, permits were a bit pricier than BLM land but nicely empty aside from a lot of fishermen in the early evening.

On the way back, stopped at the CAT scales which were right off the freeway for the first time since getting the camper. With our load (including two kids and two dogs), we were right about on the dot in terms of GVWR, with a bit of wiggle room on each axle. Taking a break for a week or two while I go off on a ski trip, then hopefully organizing a trip with another family to make it a bit more social. Feeling good about the camper overall so far, and very interested to see how much of a different experience it is in the summer when we end up using the other half of the crap in it that makes no sense to use in the winter.

I need to find a self serve car wash nearby with enough clearance.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Beautiful.

I hope I get enough land someday to adopt a horse.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah awesome trip. The side winds and fun driving is purely srw things. :keke: An extended econoline would drive just like that..
Walker lake rules in a way. I see dirt coming up for sale out there often. I've driven by it dozens of times but never have stopped.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Steve French posted:

It was a pretty drive where my wife learned what I'd tried to tell her but I guess didn't leave enough of an impression: once you get out of the cities in Nevada it's not just a giant flat wasteland, it's just constant mountains and valleys. I had driven through it a number of times but never in the winter, it's a lot nicer with snow on the peaks.
Being CA born/raised and having spent years in Reno, the differences that you don't think about between there and Iowa are huge.

It's not just weather, although that's part of it. Iowa is a quarter mile grid from border to border. They may be dirt, or tiny 1 lane roads, but there are people in *every single* square mile. Sparsely populated, but entirely populated. And there are little 200-2000 person towns every 5 miles too. Nevada has areas where you can draw a 100mile radius circle and have 0 permanent residents within it.

Weather, like, being frozen for months at a time means businesses have to be much more resilient survive the much lower foot traffic over winter. 2020 Feb I don't think we got above 0°F for the whole month. 40 was cold in NorCal. I thought that was cold until I moved to Reno. Then I thought 10°F was cold until I moved here. Slight difference. Summer here it's not just hot but humid, and being deadly hot isn't just "drink water and stay in shade", cause that'll still kill you when your body can't sweat any heat away as it won't loving evaporate off of you the air is so humid.

These aren't things you think about living in either location, but it's very obvious having lived in both. I imagine the East Coast has similar levels of things you don't think about.

*End shower thoughts*

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 14, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Now that you've had the Bean for awhile, is there anything in retrospect that you wish you had or hadn't ordered when you bought it?

It's been over a year of drooling over them and I'm pretty set on placing an order for one here pretty soon, but just stuck on trying to figure out what should I add to the build upfront, and what might be ok to wait on and just pick up aftermarket/bolt on myself. Stuff like adding the front window vs an awning I could buy aftermarket and bolt on to the roof rack, or whether the aluminum front box is all that much better than the flexibility of a tray + tie downs. The biggest thing I'm wondering is whether it makes sense to spend 1800$ for a heater installed in the teardop or if I'm better off just dragging along the portable buddy heater when it gets cold. I figure that one especially won't be easy to add on down the road, but might make a big difference in usability living in a four season state.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

OSU_Matthew posted:

Now that you've had the Bean for awhile, is there anything in retrospect that you wish you had or hadn't ordered when you bought it?

It's been over a year of drooling over them and I'm pretty set on placing an order for one here pretty soon, but just stuck on trying to figure out what should I add to the build upfront, and what might be ok to wait on and just pick up aftermarket/bolt on myself. Stuff like adding the front window vs an awning I could buy aftermarket and bolt on to the roof rack, or whether the aluminum front box is all that much better than the flexibility of a tray + tie downs. The biggest thing I'm wondering is whether it makes sense to spend 1800$ for a heater installed in the teardop or if I'm better off just dragging along the portable buddy heater when it gets cold. I figure that one especially won't be easy to add on down the road, but might make a big difference in usability living in a four season state.

Appreciate any thoughts!

I am just a month or so away from our two year anniversary with our Bean. I have bought a lot of toys and things with wheels over the years and I can say that the Bean has been my favorite purchase out of all the dumb things I have bought over the years. I had heard about how the teardrop travel trailer and fiberglass RV community are obsessive about them and figured I would be different or whatever. This is not the case. At this point all I want to do is find places to go and just go. I have been wanting to upgrade my tow vehicle for a while now that I am firmly into dumb offroading (not like rock crawler stuff but you get what I mean) I considered selling my M3. My M3 was my dream car that I have wanted since I was 16. When I floated the idea to my wife and kids that I was considering selling the M3 to buy a newer/more built up powerful Land Cruiser they vetoed the plan HARD. So last month I picked up an LX 570 that is a little more in line with my budget and will fill my wants for a better towing/off roading experience.

This weekend was the SLOREX (Salt Lake Off Road Expo) and while it was boring (my first I ever attended) I expected to see a million Sprinter vans or built out Jeeps/Tacomas for overlanding. There were some, but not a ton. There were a lot of small expedition/travel trailers which makes me think that it could end up being a more popular trend in the future. There were two brands in particular I was happy to see in person - the new Escapod Topo 2 (another local Utah company) which is their first fiberglass molded trailer. The other brand was Off-Grid Trailers out of Canada.

They were extremely cool, and ultimately I was happy to not immediately feel the want to sell my Bean and order one of these. That isn't saying they were not good - because they were. I think that with my specific use case the Bean fits my needs the best!

Coming back around to the question of "what would my build sheet look like in 2023?" I would say the following:

If the Timbren or Bean's new Cloud suspension is in your budget I would do it. I suggest this if you find yourself doing more challenging off roading OR if you find yourself running over washboard roads at a brisk pace. If most of your driving will be graded forest style roads the standard torsion suspension is probably fine. I did not get the Timbren because once the tent and rack was installed the Bean would no longer fit in my garage. The Cloud suspension was not available. I don't know if the low setting would be enough on the Cloud to get in my garage. As of now the rubber gasket around my garage door opening just kisses the iKamper when I roll it in. The upgraded suspension would just allow you to travel on those more challenging roads with a little more speed. I have not found myself wishing for more "clearance"; just smoother running. Once I get the original tires replaced with some BFGs I will air them down with regularity.

The front storage box - I would definitely get this. It was not an option when we built our trailer. They only had these weird shaped storage lockers. The box would be so much nicer. As it is the standard tray suits me for now. I have asked Bean if they can retrofit to mine - they cannot :(

Heater - the propane unit Bean offers has slick integration and super nice but real expensive. I am working on a diesel heater project that will be great for me and I will be into it like $200 when done. I will post in my thread and here once I am done. A buddy heater will work but I think my diesel setup will be great. I anticipated only really using the trailer in nicer weather but I have been dying this winter to get out. That means heading south into the desert region, but it will still see ~20 degree nights and being warm will be necessary.

Air conditioner - the adjustable MaxxFan works great but remember when it gets summer time here we gain elevation to hit cooler temperatures. If you need to be actively cooled or you are in a humid climate then some sort of AC will be nice. I have been following this little thing from Zero Breeze and saw it in person at SLOREX. It is really cool and seems like a nice option. If I find myself needing one of these then I will look into one. With the battery they offer you can expect like 6 hours of run time. Then you can tap into the 12V of the Bean or you can get solar, etc.

Front window: I could take or leave it. I don't necessarily need it - plus we like to use the front of the Bean as a screen for our portable projector hooked up to an iPad/bluetooth speaker to watch movies.

Awning: just buy the one you want on your own. I have the ARB 2.5M x 2.5M awning attached to my car. A free standing awning (one without poles) attached to the Bean one day might be nice but at the same time I like the flexibility of having it on my car. The iKamper also overhangs a little on the right hand side of the trailer so there is some coverage there.

The rear kitchen: buy the best one. I have the Premium Plus galley. The Black Bean has a new style galley that would be awesome to have but the Premium Plus is the minimum I would suggest. The MaxCoupler hitch coupler still rules and was worth it. The rock/step sliders are really nice but I would see if you can do the more formed step sliders they have on the Black Bean. The new steps have a better profile and perform the function of protection and easy access to roof accessories but they don't stick out so far making ingress/egress more work. Pop up table is a must. Accent light, nah. Spray port - yes! They have also started using a Curt brand stabilizer jack for the rear that will actually lift. I am going to possibly see about getting these retrofit onto my trailer.

Let me know if that answers enough questions. I will continue to update here but will have much more detail in my thread in AI which will include a lot of the wrenching on my new (to me) LX 570 and has a recently updated OP.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just finished a month living/working/vacationing throughout Baja California, Mexico. Highly recommend it!

DJI_0118 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DJI_0097 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2023-02-10 13.14.00 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

huhu posted:

Just finished a month living/working/vacationing throughout Baja California, Mexico. Highly recommend it!

DJI_0118 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DJI_0097 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2023-02-10 13.14.00 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

That’s the small Dodge Van conversion? I heard it doesn’t have a bathroom, so did you add one?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

That’s the small Dodge Van conversion? I heard it doesn’t have a bathroom, so did you add one?

Ram Promaster City conversion by Cascade Campers. And I’ve got a portable toilet and shower that collapse.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

huhu posted:

Ram Promaster City conversion by Cascade Campers. And I’ve got a portable toilet and shower that collapse.

I like this conversion and the price is good.

I'm planning to go van-life in a few years, hopefully in a EV Van.

For me, I'd go with something small (VW ID-Buzz) but my wife wouldn't go for that.

Looks like Mercedes 2023 eSprinter is the leading candidate.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

huhu posted:

Which ones did you get? I'm looking at some for my truck.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

Which ones did you get? I'm looking at some for my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/TripTips-Portable-Camping-Plastic-Washable/dp/B088687CJ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=triptips&qid=1678078434&sr=8-8

https://www.rei.com/product/758045/sea-to-summit-pocket-shower

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Even if I have a permanent bathroom in the van this makes sense in case someone has the urge and the one bathroom is occupied. It really folds up small.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

In case anyone is in need or wants to make some bad decisions

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Directing this your way with the Bean but really its a question to anyone - I'm about to start my own Teardrop build, I wasn't planning on a heater though. Does anyone have any experience with those 12v electric blankets? They don't throw a whole lot of wattage but with a couple people in a very small insulated box, I'm wondering if they are enough to make a comfortable difference for at least late fall type camping. I figure I could always do a diesel heater retrofit if it becomes a real issue.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am just a month or so away from our two year anniversary with our Bean. I have bought a lot of toys and things with wheels over the years and I can say that the Bean has been my favorite purchase out of all the dumb things I have bought over the years. I had heard about how the teardrop travel trailer and fiberglass RV community are obsessive about them and figured I would be different or whatever. This is not the case. At this point all I want to do is find places to go and just go. I have been wanting to upgrade my tow vehicle for a while now that I am firmly into dumb offroading (not like rock crawler stuff but you get what I mean) I considered selling my M3. My M3 was my dream car that I have wanted since I was 16. When I floated the idea to my wife and kids that I was considering selling the M3 to buy a newer/more built up powerful Land Cruiser they vetoed the plan HARD. So last month I picked up an LX 570 that is a little more in line with my budget and will fill my wants for a better towing/off roading experience.

This weekend was the SLOREX (Salt Lake Off Road Expo) and while it was boring (my first I ever attended) I expected to see a million Sprinter vans or built out Jeeps/Tacomas for overlanding. There were some, but not a ton. There were a lot of small expedition/travel trailers which makes me think that it could end up being a more popular trend in the future. There were two brands in particular I was happy to see in person - the new Escapod Topo 2 (another local Utah company) which is their first fiberglass molded trailer. The other brand was Off-Grid Trailers out of Canada.

They were extremely cool, and ultimately I was happy to not immediately feel the want to sell my Bean and order one of these. That isn't saying they were not good - because they were. I think that with my specific use case the Bean fits my needs the best!

Coming back around to the question of "what would my build sheet look like in 2023?" I would say the following:

If the Timbren or Bean's new Cloud suspension is in your budget I would do it. I suggest this if you find yourself doing more challenging off roading OR if you find yourself running over washboard roads at a brisk pace. If most of your driving will be graded forest style roads the standard torsion suspension is probably fine. I did not get the Timbren because once the tent and rack was installed the Bean would no longer fit in my garage. The Cloud suspension was not available. I don't know if the low setting would be enough on the Cloud to get in my garage. As of now the rubber gasket around my garage door opening just kisses tiKamper when I roll it in. The upgraded suspension would just allow you to travel on those more challenging roads with a little more speed. I have not found myself wishing for more "clearance"; just smoother running. Once I get the original tires replaced with some BFGs I will air them down with regularity.

The front storage box - I would definitely get this. It was not an option when we built our trailer. They only had these weird shaped storage lockers. The box would be so much nicer. As it is the standard tray suits me for now. I have asked Bean if they can retrofit to mine - they cannot :(

Heater - the propane unit Bean offers has slick integration and super nice but real expensive. I am working on a diesel heater project that will be great for me and I will be into it like $200 when done. I will post in my thread and here once I am done. A buddy heater will work but I think my diesel setup will be great. I anticipated only really using the trailer in nicer weather but I have been dying this winter to get out. That means heading south into the desert region, but it will still see ~20 degree nights and being warm will be necessary.

Air conditioner - the adjustable MaxxFan works great but remember when it gets summer time here we gain elevation to hit cooler temperatures. If you need to be actively cooled or you are in a humid climate then some sort of AC will be nice. I have been following this little thing from Zero Breeze and saw it in person at SLOREX. It is really cool and seems like a nice option. If I find myself needing one of these then I will look into one. With the battery they offer you can expect like 6 hours of run time. Then you can tap into the 12V of the Bean or you can get solar, etc.

Front window: I could take or leave it. I don't necessarily need it - plus we like to use the front of the Bean as a screen for our portable projector hooked up to an iPad/bluetooth speaker to watch movies.

Awning: just buy the one you want on your own. I have the ARB 2.5M x 2.5M awning attached to my car. A free standing awning (one without poles) attached to the Bean one day might be nice but at the same time I like the flexibility of having it on my car. The iKamper also overhangs a little on the right hand side of the trailer so there is some coverage there.

The rear kitchen: buy the best one. I have the Premium Plus galley. The Black Bean has a new style galley that would be awesome to have but the Premium Plus is the minimum I would suggest. The MaxCoupler hitch coupler still rules and was worth it. The rock/step sliders are really nice but I would see if you can do the more formed step sliders they have on the Black Bean. The new steps have a better profile and perform the function of protection and easy access to roof accessories but they don't stick out so far making ingress/egress more work. Pop up table is a must. Accent light, nah. Spray port - yes! They have also started using a Curt brand stabilizer jack for the rear that will actually lift. I am going to possibly see about getting these retrofit onto my trailer.

Let me know if that answers enough questions. I will continue to update here but will have much more detail in my thread in AI which will include a lot of the wrenching on my new (to me) LX 570 and has a recently updated OP.

That does answer so many questions... everything you've posted in here and your AI thread has been tremendously helpful, thank you! Honestly of all the stuff I've looked at over the past year or so here, the trips, thoughts, and feedback you've posted have been some of the most helpful and influential.

I honestly feel like you deserve a commission, because I finally got my poo poo together and took the plunge! :homebrew:

You'd changed my mind on the Timbren axle and we very nearly went the Meaner Bean route, but the rep at Bean recommended sticking with the Mean Bean due to the limited tongue weight on our tow vehicle (Outback). Which if I'm being honest with myself, the mean bean is way more trail capable than my tow vehicle anyways.

Otherwise we pretty much went with everything else... Premium Plus Galley, ICECO VL45 chest fridge, Ecco on demand shower/sidebox (w/ spray port), roof rack, 23Zero shower enclosure awning, 23Zero 180 awning and sidewalls, a 2nd side window, front window, rock sliders, table, battery heater, front box, LionEnergy battery, Lightleaf 140w panel, maxxfan deluxe fan. This is definitely going to be a big step up from backpacking :toot:

Should be ready here by July, and I've been poring through maps to string together a trip to head cross country, pick up the trailer, pop down south through Bryce & Zion over to Big Sur (with stops in Sequoia & Death Valley), up the California 1 to Redwoods & Columbia River Gorge to North Cascades, over to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and back home through Badlands. If I had just another week or two I think we could quite possibly hit almost half the National Parks in the US on this single trip, but being realistic about time constraints of keeping overall mileage under 300 a day with a zero day at least once a week means that we have to make some tough choices to straighten out the route (the first victim of which is probably going to be Glacier National Park even though that's probably something we should prioritize sooner rather than later).

It's a lot, but I think it's doable! If anyone has any advice around a monthlong trip I'd definitely appreciate any thoughts! Just trying to find the right balance of ambitious and doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Oops

Hit some unavoidable potholes today (lol roads in the sierras are turbofucked right now) and a warning came on in the truck about the wiring harness. That’d happened once before and the connector to the truck had just come loose. Thought that had happened again but was wrong…