Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I bought a van today to start converting. Aim is to have a fixed full double bed with bike storage underneath, somewhere to cook, somewhere to sit, possibly a toilet cubicle if there's space. Gonna be a ton of work, and I want it done before the summer.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I have weekends, and also I've quit my job and so will have no other commitments past mid April. I'll grab some photos of my layout idea scribbles tomorrow.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

No, I'm going to live in my house (which is by the river, as it happens).

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

So after a couple of weeks of being ill (pretty sure it was covid19, don't recommend it) I'm finally making some progress. Stripped out all the shelves, ply and the floor from the van and cleaned everything up. Absolutely poo poo job but at least it's done.

Next jobs are:

1) new insulated floor
2) solar panels and roof light fitted
3) insulate and clad walls and roof

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

What are you planning for Wattage and power conversion?

3 x 100w panels into an MPPT controller feeding a 220aH AGM battery, with a split charge relay as a backup and no mains hookup.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

That's a pretty good setup for vanning it. 300W shouldn't be any problem for boondocking.

I feel like I could have easily gotten away with 200W and a slightly smaller battery but we don't get vast amounts of sun in the UK and the rest of northern Europe so thought I may as well go big.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I have a rough idea but I haven't got any cad drawings. I'll scribble something out.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

poo poo those 101s are sweet rigs!

I'm not too worried about hookup. If it becomes an issue I'll add one later, same with an inverter. My power needs should be relatively minimal - I was taking stock of what I actually use in any given day and it's basically phone, maybe a bit of laptop (which will need a 12v adapter), lighting and a fridge. Fridge is going to be a 12v compressor so no issues there. All the relevant wiring will be accessible enough to later additions will be no bother.

Trickle charging over winter is a non issue because the logistics at my house just don't work for it. I'll be relying on solar and driving it to keep the battery alive in winter.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I decided to just make a project thread for my build rather than hammering this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920377

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Those fiamma awnings are basically standard issue for all motorhomes in Europe. They're really good.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

That looks about right but honestly I'm no expert. Fiamma have a pretty good web presence and tons of people have probably discussed them on euro camper forums etc.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

You need to check out their project thread in AI.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

A lot get used a handful of weekends or one big trip a year and sit on the drive the other 350 days a year. Big boomer energy.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I've a question r.e. drinking water. I have a 70l tank in my van and ideally I'd like to use it for everything including drinking. It looks like my options are either to give up and buy bottled water, or to get a General Ecology or similar sub 0.5 micron filter which costs hundreds. Is there a cheaper way of guaranteeing safe drinking water from the tank or is this as good as it gets?

Also any tips on cleaning a water system where your tank doesn't have a proper drain cock? I can always rejig some stuff so the tank is really easy to remove for cleaning but if there's a good in situ solution I'm all ears.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Nothing, as yet, but it's a purpose built water tank

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

It won't be exposed to freezing weather while containing any significant amount of water so not too worried about that. The outlet for the water pump is right at the bottom of the tank but leaves maybe 3mm clearance, so draining the very last bit of water if the van won't be used for a while isn't super easy.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah I think I'll research treatments and get whatever the cheapest 0.5 micron filter I can find is. I guess if the van will be parked for a while removing the water tank for a clean isn't a huge hassle, I only need to move the pump and accumulator.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I think an RO system would be overkill for mine, I'm likely to only be filling with chlorinated potable mains water. Kind of wish I'd never bothered with my hugely overengineered water system and just gone with jugs and a pump under the sink, but it's done now so :shrug:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Currently in my build the 12v solar/leisure system is totally separate from the vehicle electrics, but I'm thinking I may want to be able to top up the leisure battery from the alternator if solar can't keep up and to keep the starter battery from dying when the vehicle is unused for a bit. I don't have hook-up/shore power so that isn't in the equation.

I currently have a cheapo 30amp split charge relay that I've never fitted, but I don't think 30amps is going to be safe anyway. I've been looking at DC-DC chargers but am yet to find one that can charge in both directions and isn't super expensive. Anyone have any suggestions for cheaper approaches or a charger that does what I want at a reasonable price?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

That's an amazingly detailed response, thanks. I'm a bit rusty on that kind of stuff but I guess a couple of voltage dividers and an arduino nano is all it would take, definitely not outside my ability.

Going to put some serious thought into that option. I've got plenty of time because I really don't want to have to run two 10mm cables the length of the van, so am not about to rush out to the van and start work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

That depreciation :vince: