Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Peanut Butler posted:

Another thing that seems impossible because I can't find literature on it via internet: can I power the minivan's built in 12v accessory rail from an AC connection? Trickle charging is a thing I'm familiar with, but what about just supplying 12v/10A DC to the terminals so I can use the lights, the very nice sound system and the like EIGHT cig lighter ports in this thing? (lol maybe even the built-in kid-quieter TV I have never used)

anyway idk if this is the thread for living in a van either down by or up from the river but looking online, the "camping" angle is more applicable to my situation than the "tiny home" angle- thanks for reading my info request!!

In theory, a decent-sized automotive battery charger should be able to keep up with lights / sound / seat back TV needs, as long as you're not running the headlights and trying to power a space heater. Just pop it on the battery terminals -- it will keep your battery topped off and supply all the extra power you want. Something like the Noco Genius 10 is probably what you want, but a cheaper 10A battery charger would probably do. (maybe not too cheap -- some of them might futz out in the cold)

Steve Wallis on Youtube has a lot of good videos about sleeping in vehicles in the dead of winter. I imagine you could find good information about what kind of insulation you'll need and how to cut down on condensation.
https://www.youtube.com/c/thestevewallis

You might also get some more opinions in the stupid questions thread over in AI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

everdave posted:

The EV transit starts at 43k and I don’t know the tax credit deal. So let’s pretend you got a base $43k and those component kits are usually $5-10k. So you are over $50k to start. For 100 mile range?

If OP is tiny-homing it, I could see driving to a campsite, living there for a few weeks keeping the battery topped off with the site's electrical hookup, and then driving to the next site a few hundred miles away over a weekend. It's nowhere near as off-grid as you can be in a gas-powered vanlife mobile, but it's a lot more feasible if you're explicitly living from there and moving a few charges at a time rather than using it as a camper and driving 1000+ miles on a weekend for a week-long stay at a national park.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

I had the same Sienna, color and all, from 1999 to 2003. So excellent.

My mom bought one in 1998, same color, and I drove it through high school and part of college. Turns out if you pull the seats out, a forklift can load things into the back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Check out the app named "OrganicMaps". It lets you download the OpenStreetMaps maps for whatever states/provinces/countries you choose, and it will keep them up to date. It does search and navigation locally on your device. I don't think it has any way of getting traffic, of course. I use Google Maps day to day, but I keep it as a backup for if I find myself off grid.