Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

everdave posted:

Just wanted to update, as my Hi Ace camper was being loaded or unloaded it sprung a massive coolant leak and started overheating. It can not be at port or on boat pissing fluids. It has been towed to the mechanic in Japan. I do not know what it is or if it will be an easy fix or expensive. Whatever it is it just cost me a whole lot more money.

That really sucks dude. Here's hoping it can be resolved for not too much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

An awning is the most overlooked part of an RV. A good awning with a screen doubles your living space and protects you from insects. Have a fan for summer, and it's heaven in anything up to the hottest most humid weather.

The pandemic has pretty much ruined my plans for a wedding or a camper this year. I was kinda hoping to rent a van from https://www.escapecampervans.com/ for a summer trip, but that's not looking likely. They don't allow you to bring a dog july-september, and the Fiancès very busy with WFH. We're going to invest in a decent 4 man tent and try to take a week or two to explore the interior North East.

Maybe we can swing renting a pop-up or mini trailer though...

Depending on your local market it might make sense to buy a used popup or camper and sell it on when you're done. It looks like a couple grand to rent one of their vans for 2 weeks. If you buy a camper or pop up and use it for two weeks, it will probably be worth whatever you paid for it at the end.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

everdave posted:

Hi Ace camper has beautiful wood floors underneath the old rear end linoleum!

Is this one you're selling or are you keeping it for personal use promoting your import business?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

In this vein what large SUVs would you guy recommend to tow a 30' trailer? I am planning on replacing my car next year, and since I don't and likely won't commute, I was thinking that a 3/4 ton suburban might be a good idea. Are there others I should consider? I don't have an RV yet bet it looks like around 30' is where they have the features I want.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

rdb posted:

Does it have to be 30’? Thats on the large end, excursion or 3/4 ton suburban for sure with a good weight distribution hitch and probably air springs. Mine is 32’ and the tounge weight feels like 1200-1500lbs, I havent weighed it. My ram 3500 single rear wheel squats bad and even my tractor, rated for 2400lbs on the three point, doesn’t like it. My inlaws towed it twice with a 3/4 ton suburban before deciding it was too much and gave it to us.

Good to know. Maybe I'll adjust my search to just one ton trucks with a crew cab. My wife refuses to ride long distances in a 90s diesel due to the noise or else I would just buy my father in law's old dually F350.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've seen SUV's towing 30 footers, but it never seems to be for long distances. It looks like most are rated at 8,000, which is pushing it for a 30 footer.

I personally would pick up a used f250 supercab or similar. If you need a gas engine, FlexFuel.

Or just buy this, all your problems are saved and you're automatically the most popular person in the campground. https://www.motor1.com/news/429071/toyota-sunrader-fifth-wheel-sale/

Hopefully not one of the sunraider chassis prone to explosion

I guess I was assuming a Suburban 2500 or other vehicle with a 3/4 ton rating. Is there that much difference between a Suburban 2500 and a Silverado 2500 for towing purposes?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Honestly if we are getting into 1 ton territory then I think there are a lot more available with the crew cab and also I really don't care for the Ford Excursion. I had to drive one a few times when I worked for a rental car agency back in the mid aughts and it felt like I was driving the short bud in a way that no other large vehicle ever has. Before that I had driven a box truck for work so it wasn't the size alone. It's really hard to describe. I just felt like the proportions were wrong on the inside. Like it was taking up extra space just because.

Although, I have driven my Father in law's 2006 F350 and I felt like it was bigger and longer than it needed to be. Probably because he also has a 1990 F350 and it's a lot easier to drive. It's a shame my wife can't handle the noise of older diesels. I prefer older trucks aesthetically and for practical reasons.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

The silverado and burban' of 13' vintage are rated for more or less the same. F250s of that vintage are rated a little higher. Excursions run all over the map based on engine. They're basically F250s. That's right around of what a 30' travel trailer weighs, much less when you pack it with your favorite camping goodies. IMO GM's LS engines are better suited to towing than Ford's 2v/3v 4.6/5.4/6.8. I'm personally just not a fan of them.
If you're sold on a suv style vehicle, why not a 350 sized van?

Do pull the buildcodes and opt for a towing package for better engine/transmission cooling, stronger springs, and lower gearing.
For towing a 30' TT i'd recommend a 1 ton for the extra overhead and upgrades over the 3/4 tons. You can reasonably get away with using a 3/4 ton using a load equalizing hitch, trans cooler, airsprings, etc. (A brake controller is a given regardless of what you do).

Your tow vehicles rear axle weight limit is likely dictated by the capacity of the tires. The axle ratings on the door plate are always the weakest link(tires/spring/axle). The door plate will give you everything you need to know outside of curb weight so you can shop using that information. Don't overload the tires. 8000 in tt is around 1600lb on the tongue.

Also thanks for this awesome effort post. This is the information I needed. If I need all that crap to make a 3/4 ton work then better to get something suitable out of the box.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Are there any brands that I should stay away from? When I read reviews of Forest River makes on RVTrader there are some pretty bad horror stories in there and that's pretty much all my dealer sells (GeneralRV) are those new. I'd prefer to buy from them so I don't have to drive a hundred miles for warranty issues and such.

Currently looking at the following models (not all sold my dealer, so slightly separate topic), if they can actually get stock:

Wolf Pup 18TO
Vista cruiser 23RSS
Apex Nano (20X and the 193/194BHS)

Eh, Forest River makes a TON of the RV brands on the market. They are probably the biggest manufacturer put there. There are going to be complaints. From Wikipedia:

List of Divisions

Prime Time Manufacturing

Coachmen RV

Shasta RV

Palomino RV

Forest River RV

Dynamax Corporation

Glaval Bus

Elkhart Coach

Starcraft Bus

AmeraLite

Cargo Mate

Continental Cargo

Haulin Trailers

Lightning Trailers

Rance Aluminimum Trailers

US Cargo

Berkshire Pontoon

South Bay Pontoon

Trifecta Pontoon

Qualridge

Rockport Commercial Vehicles

Berkshire Coach

East to West

Battisti Customs

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

This. Don't do it for an extended time ie: on roads. otherwise you're good.

CSB, you seem really knowledgeable about this stuff. Is it just from having campers a lot over your lifetime or is it aligned with your professional background? Anyway thanks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My father in law has a 1990 Ford F350 diesel dually Crew cap in 2WD. When that thing rolled off the line the paperwork said max towing capacity was 10k and max payload was 1650. He used to haul a boat that weighed 6k and it did just fine, which would be expected, but he did that while he had a heavy-rear end kit-built camper that extended over the whole crew cab and over the back, and loaded with 2 dogs, 2 kids, himself, his morbidly obese wife, and all their fishing gear. At highway speeds. I think back in the day they were just making poo poo up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The rpod I got came with an Aussie camper grill but it's just one flame element and is literally a small grill.

I'm interested in just having a single raging burner so I can get my cast iron hot and boil water quickly. Is there a go-to model I should be looking at?

I see you can get legit big ones with metal stands but I am thinking I want more portability and ease of storage. I was looking at a dual fuel GasOne burner that runs on either propane or butane but I'm open to other suggestions.

I don't do camper camping (yet), but Camp Chef makes 30k and 60k BTU single propane burners. You can buy them without the legs or get one used and toss the legs/don't pack them. If you are looking at one of the flat GasOne burners that are only a couple inches high I can't find what the output is but I bet it doesn't come close to the bigger burners and is not gonna be a significant improvement over a basic single burner camp stove.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I’m trying to buy a shorter class a or longer class c right now and holy poo poo is it hard to find one in the PNW that isn’t best to poo poo from being lived in. Gonna drive from Portland to Seattle to look at something promising tomorrow but after the last couple rigs I looked at it’s hard to get too excited.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

Is there a KBB for travel trailers? I may be getting one as a part time residence to save me some driving.

That's good stuff.

NADA does All manor of recreation vehicles. Or at least their B2B platform does. I wouldn’t put much stock in it in the current market. Once it’s a normal market again it should be much more reliable.

I bought that Class A that I drove five and a half hours with my family to get. I’ll post some pics once I get an Imgur account and figure out how to use it. It’s an 89, and needs the cab AC serviced along with fixing the blower controls/fan, I will need to address some heat delamination on the outside ( the plywood is still solid) and I need new front tires.

God drat RV tires are expensive. I need a pair of 8R19.5s and they are close to 500 each. Anyone know a cheaper place to get them/ familiar with America’s or Dynatrac tires? I can’t seem to find the size on the Les Schwab, Firestone, or Tire Rack web sites. Also if I buy some online how much should I expect to pay for mounting?

Also, do Y’all think I can get a regular mechanic to work on my ac and blower controls since they are automotive parts, or do I need an Arab tech because they are not as common? It’s a Fleetwood Pace Arrow which so think is a Chevy platform and has a 454 big block.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

rdb posted:

I have seen r19.5s on sale at costco. Still expensive but michelin branded.

Any mechanic should be able to charge the ac but lord help you if it needs an evaporator core or some other hard part. Make sure you change all the fluids on that thing and pay close attention to the driveline.

Other than that enjoy.

Luckily the seller is an old dude that races drag cars that he builds as a hobby and changed all the fluids, belts. And some of the hoses prior to sale. He and his wife were very churchy but also thoroughly decent people and he handed be a hundred dollars back after I paid the agreed upon price and said “Put some gas in it son, and call me if you have trouble on the way back.” So I feel like I can actually trust him.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I think there is also a local component to the used RV market. In the PNW in general and specifically in Portland, there are a ton of people living in busted rear end RVs and a ton of other people about to be homeless waiting to swoop in on anything below 5k so they can live in it. This means that anything below about 6500 is sketchy as gently caress and probably has been lived in by chain smoking pet hoarders. For some reason they never include the photos of the mouse droppings or the extensive water damage.

I looked at a number of cheaper RVs that looked great in the pictures but were scary in person. Before we decided to really up our budget I took The Whole family on a drive to a rural property over an hour’s drive away that had a really sketchy vibe. Some kid who must have been descended from the extras in Deliverance stepped it of the woods to show us the RV. He said he cleaned it “real good” and I am certain he believed it, but it was filthy and smelly and there was a plastic fork stuck in the ceiling and a mousetrap on the dash. The smell was terrible. It basically needed to be gutted and I think the kid thought it was ready to live in. Also his dad who owned it was supposed to be there but had gone to the bar and was not present.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Would have also accepted a wizard.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Finally got around to installing a new stereo in my camper because the one it came with was like 6W per channel and sounded like absolute poo poo.

The new one doesn't have any features the old one didn't have but it does have 50W per channel so it can actually drive the speakers.

The other difference is that the unit I removed weighed like 2lbs and the one I installed was like 5-6lbs. Camper manufacturers shave pounds wherever they can.

*turns RV into a Db racer*

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Honestly dude I have so many other things to fix up on my newly purchased rattle trap that I’m just not there yet. But tunes ARE important and good for you for upgrading your system.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Are there any stats on Airstream vs. other trailers in terms of gas mileage (or EV Truck range). Does the aero work?

IDK if the aero works but I do know they last a lot longer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My theory is that the all-metal, smooth, riveted, cladding and the rounded shape prevent pooling of water as will as minimize wind forces on the trailer, as well as being tougher than the corrugated metal and the fiberglass used on other campers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ugh. I am super disappointed that the Lightning turned out to be such a turd when it comes to doing truck things. If it can’t do those things, then me might as well buy a much smaller EV.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, it can do them just fine? Just not for long. Towing just induces so much extra load that range calculations start looking like the tyranny of the rocket equation.

It shouldn't have been surprising, either. ICE trucks will lose half their range or more when towing, but it gets brushed off as not a big deal because it means another ten minute fill-up, probably at a gas station already designed to handle a truck and trailer combination. It becomes problematic for an EV since now that's an extra 30min-1hr stop, and at least from what I've seen DC fast chargers are almost all set up for nose/tail-in parking that would not play nice with a truck and trailer.

Sticking with thread-appropriate workloads, at least you can hop in the trailer while you wait? :v:

They are also available with a longer range to begin with, and from what I have seen hauling is also an issue. I don’t own a truck currently, but when I did I used it every few years to tow something but pretty often to haul stuff in the bed. Before I would commit so much money to a vehicle, I’d want it to have halfway decent performance doing what it is designed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vevor is kind of known for being one of the better Chinese knockoff brands for a bunch of things.