Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Hello, I realized I can do my job from anywhere so I leveled up to ultra homeless. I'm hoping this cheap awning from amazon holds up for the 3-4 weeks I'll realistically last trying to live out of my truck before giving up.

Also i just realized theres a great visual metaphor for this idea in the foreground.

This is whats on the back of it

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I was setting up my truck to do long term remote work/travel in, then I took it for a test run and pooped in a bucket.

I dont love the maneuverability of living in a van or truck if it means I have to poop in a bucket, so I'm putting a deposit down on one of these, hopefully gonna get it in January

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100bh

Purchasing 800w of solar and a 300AH lifepo4 battery bank to install when i get it :getin:

Nothing beats pandemic depression like spending a bunch of money

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah it's definitely not as bad as I thought it would be.

cursedshitbox posted:

What manufacturer are you using for solar and the batteries?

I'm building my own battery with this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb201603_

And probably gonna go with three of these, I think 600W is the max amount of solar I can put on the roof and still be able to walk around and tilt them.
https://www.amazon.com/RICH-SOLAR-M...06675326&sr=8-3

Not sure on the charge controller yet, something from amazon I'm guessing.

In amazing conditions figuring an 80% efficiency to be conservative, will take probably over 8 hours to recharge from empty, but I dunno wtf I'd be doing to use 300ah in a day since the only 12V stuff i'll be pulling is the lights/awning for a few hours a night and to charge up a macbook from 0-25% every night. I think this setup will make it so my only restrictions on how long I can boondock is how much water I bring/tank capacity as long as I move around to climates that dont require furnace/ac to not be miserable.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 29, 2020

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Ballin. are you rolling your own battery management too?

Right now I'm averaging 2.45kWh over the span of day parked in the depths of the desert SW. It's nearly break even right now due to winter, solid mount panels, and my fridge. Similar plans with boondocking to stay where HVAC isn't needed, though I burn through a lot of power for other things.

Holding tank cap will likely be your limiting factor depending on how efficient you are with water usage.
Worth monitoring your daily electrical draw to determine your needs then building from there. Budget for worst case scenario.

Yeah you can get a decent BMS w/balancer to add to it for $40.

What would you say is the biggest power sink you have?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Deposit put down on the Micro Minnie, expecting it in the beginning of February, and I shall truly be able to join this thread.

I have no idea what I'm doinnnggggggggg

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

It has begun.

Currently living in it right now in my parents front yard like a true goon, going to be heading to arizona/new mexico within the next month.

I have not pooped in it yet.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

Then you have not actually lived in it yet. :colbert:

This is true, its going to get to 10f at night here over the weekend so I'm going to wait for it to get above freezing before I find out the toilet shoots black water at you instead of flushing or whatever.

Been running the propane furnace since I parked it Saturday, keeping the inside above 60 degrees and having the tank heater pads running, hoping everything will be good, the dealership winterized it before I took delivery.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Got a question on de-winterizing a new travel trailer.

As mentioned by someone above, you haven't moved into your RV into you poop in it, and I want to poop in it. But I also want to see if there are any issues before I leave my comfy spot at my parents house.

Its been consistently above freezing during the day where I'm at, usually around 40f, but during the night can get to 20f. It's only supposed to get warmer from here. Is there any issues with starting to use this in a partial hookup situation (just have power where I'm at, no sewer hookup). I'm not too nervous about the internal plumbing, it has all of Winnebagos winter stuff with a sealed, insulated bottom, heated tanks that are constantly on, and a propane furnace that has ducting routed around the tanks. Well, not too nervous because I dunno if I've been suckered or not yet.

I'm mostly nervous about the exposed dump pipe. I have to run at least a full fresh water tanks worth of water through it with bleach to sanitize it, and preferably just use the fresh water tank rather than city water so I dont have to buy a heated hose yet since I'd have to get a pretty long one. If the gray and black tank valves are closed, will there be any issues with just waiting till the temperature gets to 40 before going to drain? The gray and black tank valves are not exposed to the outside, I'm hoping they also are receiving some of that heat benefit.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

rdb posted:

You generally don’t want to dump black tanks until they are full. Put 2-3 bowls of liquid into it before you poo poo. Run the propane heater when it gets below freezing and the gate valves/water lines should be ok. I have mine hooked up to the sewer hose full time, gray tanks open, no issues. But I only dump the back tank about once a week, and I keep the thermostat at 70.

Also, mine did freeze this week when it got down to 1F. Couldn’t brush or flush when I left for work, everything was fine when I got home. Winnebago makes good stuff, Jayco doesn’t. I think you will be ok.

Good to hear that it can freeze and not instantly explode, I have nightmares of turning on the sink in the morning and hearing lines popping.

Do you leave your water pump and water heater running all the time? Would it be fine to use my fresh water tank instead of the city hookup?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

The whole point of PEX is to not burst when freezing. That's what its supposed to do. Any RV built in this millennium will have it. Now that doesn't take into consideration RV faucets or the pump itself :v:

Me personally? pump on during the day. I shut it off when I'm not around. Water heater when it is needed otherwise it stays off.

For poopin' etc, get the tablets for the black and the gray tank. Really helps manage odors.

Fair enough, gonna do it without worry next week.

I routed the battery cables into the pass through and put my 100ah lifepo4 battery in there, just waiting on an inverter to come in and I'll make some correct cables and enclose the box.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Well water isnt shooting out everywhere so all seems well.

I have pooped in my rv so i now officially live in it.

Actually it hit me after getting this all tested that this was the last thing I wanted to do before I leave idaho, so now I actually have to do it. Anyone got any favorite parks/campgrounds/boondocking in the southern utah/northern arizona area? Preferably somewhere dry and above freezing, I've had enough of winter the past couple weeks.

I dont really have a planned out path, was just gonna head to Zion and figure out something from there.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Hello RV thread,

I find myself in need of a class a motorhome to live in for the foreseeable future, my budget is something under 12k, got a couple questions

1. Fleetwood Bounders and other fleetwoods seem to be the dominate brand from the early 90s, are there any I should stay away from. Any other good/bad brands
2. Seems crazy to me that I can get a motorhome with such low miles, is there anything wrong with getting an old, low mileage one if it wasnt left out in the sun and all the time eating parts have been replaced (hoses & tires, etc)
3. Specifically looking for a class a for the room and the massive front window, hoping to be able to snag one with a slideout at this price, is that a bad idea on older RVs?

It's just going to be me living in it, I got laid off from my cushy job and am considering living real cheap by buying some cheap land and sticking an RV on it while I look for another one or maybe switch careers. It's kinda that or live in cheap airbnb rooms, my previous job timed the layoff right as my current lease is ending :)